RFC Cassette Shop

Hey there cassette people. We are carrying a bunch of cassettes of our own releases now, as well as other stuff and it's going to be expanding rapidly.  I will post new stuff in this thread as we get it.

Newer stuff we have is the Camera Shy - S/T, the new Citizen, Turnover and mewithoutYou full lengths, and a few Double Double  Whammy releases like Porches and Crying. 

http://runforcoverrecords.limitedrun.com/categories/cassette-shop

I will have the pressing numbers added to each RFC cassette release page. I don't think any of them are more than 500 total. 

Everything is "limited", but what are the pressing numbers/colors etc.  I have a hard time dropped $8 on a tape that isn't special at all when people like Hot Vodka Records put a ton of effort into theirs and sell them for $5.

Sort of off base to compare the two in my opinion. Hot Vodka maked dubbed / painted / drawn tapes with spray painted j-cards with runs as limited as /25. Ours are full color, professionally duplicated and printed tapes with full color print. Neither is better, they're just completely different. With that said, I will still see if we can drop the price at all. 

It's funny how tapes started to make a comeback as a cheaper, quick turnaround alternative, usually priced at $1-5, and now they're working their way up to $8. In a year or two they'll be $15-20 and a bunch of the original tape labels will all be complaining that they can't get their tapes manufactured no more cause every other label jumped on the tape wagon too.

It's funny how tapes started to make a comeback as a cheaper, quick turnaround alternative, usually priced at $1-5, and now they're working their way up to $8. In a year or two they'll be $15-20 and a bunch of the original tape labels will all be complaining that they can't get their tapes manufactured no more cause every other label jumped on the tape wagon too.

This already started 1.5 years ago. National Audio used to have a 10 day turnaround... last time that I used them they were 6 weeks +

Yep, it is quickly going from a cheap format for low run releases, to "limited" collectors items.

Sort of off base to compare the two in my opinion. Hot Vodka maked dubbed / painted / drawn tapes with spray painted j-cards with runs as limited as /25. Ours are full color, professionally duplicated and printed tapes with full color print. Neither is better, they're just completely different. With that said, I will still see if we can drop the price at all.

For the record I currently only have 1 release with a j-card and it's not spray painted ;)

They still are a cheaper, quicker turn-around item, but what we're selling is not usually priced at $1-$5. Maybe I am wrong, and there are people out there losing money on every cassette they sell in the name of DIY, but those people are probably not getting cassettes professionally duplicated / printed in the first place. Tape labels that people on this messageboard follow or even own charge $6-$7.50 for 4-6 song EPs on cassettes. $11 or whatever our full length cassettes end up being after shipping is essentially a dollar two at most more than what it costs to download it from iTunes. AND it comes with a download. 

Also keep in mind we have tons of other expenses to recoup, like the cost of advances, recording costs, radio campaigns, publicists (sometimes multiple per record) pressing 5,000+ LPs, in store marketing, etc. You could say "well the tapes cost you $3 a copy, why can't you sell them for $6 and profit $3." Because after all of our costs, the tapes don't cost $3 anymore. 

Either way I am going to see if we can get them priced down a bit. 

Also keep in mind we have tons of other expenses to recoup, like the cost of advances, recording costs, radio campaigns, publicists (sometimes multiple per record) pressing 5,000+ LPs, in store marketing, etc. You could say "well the tapes cost you $3 a copy, why can't you sell them for $6 and profit $3." Because after all of our costs, the tapes don't cost $3 anymore. 

Wouldn't the expenses have already been factored in when you did the vinyl release for the albums?