RFC Cassette Shop

Our current office used to be a custom USB company who make Star Wars, Hello Kitty, Southpark etc, USB drives. They downsized and are now our neighbors. 

Ok i know distinctlydustin was joking but

you can not miss this opportunity for creating unique jumpdrives for every artist in your roster. I want all of Elvis Depressedly's discography on a jumpdrive shaped like Stone Cold Steve Austin where you remove his head from the figure to reveal the usb input. imagine having steve austin's torso jutting outta your laptop everytime you listened to elvis d

Ok i know distinctlydustin was joking but

you can not miss this opportunity for creating unique jumpdrives for every artist in your roster. I want all of Elvis Depressedly's discography on a jumpdrive shaped like Stone Cold Steve Austin where you remove his head from the figure to reveal the usb input. imagine having steve austin's torso jutting outta your laptop everytime you listened to elvis d

Sick collectibles like those Nintendo things.

I really cannot wrap my head around the surprise that a record label is putting out their music on other formats lol. There have been like 5 "oh so you're doing cassettes now?" comments in the RFC cassette thread in the cassette collective board. As if that didn't give it away enough.

Do you think you'll start pushing them out on CD???

POTD

This already started 1.5 years ago. National Audio used to have a 10 day turnaround... last time that I used them they were 6 weeks +

Not true... I just got a tape pressed by NAC in three weeks.

Like Jeff mentioned earlier, we sell full-length tapes on average for $7. What most people are failing to realize is this – as with my label, RFC gives you a digital download with their tapes. Using their latest pre-order as an example (Spencer Radcliffe), the digital price is $8, the tape price is $7. There's a $1 difference for these two items. Tapes used to be priced at $10-$13 back in the 80-90s, and obviously didn't come with a download. With inflation that would be A LOT more today.

Put simply, tapes still have extremely quick turn-around time, and $8 is not a bad price to pay for them direct from a label.

I'm not arguing anything being said but the whole justifying higher priced tapes by the inclusion of a "free digital download" w/ the tape thing is strange to me because i'm used to digital music mostly being free/pay-what-you-please, as is becoming more and more common in the music community. I understand many musicians rely on digital sales for income and I'm not against that at all. But most of my favorite musicians offer most of their digital music for free which makes me more inclined to pay for the physical whenever I enjoy it. Besides, isn't it entirely legal to download a digital version of media you purchase a physical copy of, just as digitally ripping it for your personal collection is entirely legal? 

I'm not arguing anything being said but the whole justifying higher priced tapes by the inclusion of a "free digital download" w/ the tape thing is strange to me because i'm used to digital music mostly being free/pay-what-you-please, as is becoming more and more common in the music community. I understand many musicians rely on digital sales for income and I'm not against that at all. But most of my favorite musicians offer most of their digital music for free which makes me more inclined to pay for the physical whenever I enjoy it. Besides, isn't it entirely legal to download a digital version of media you purchase a physical copy of, just as digitally ripping it for your personal collection is entirely legal? 

Free / pay what you want is not becoming the norm in the music industry, it's becoming the norm for independent artists and DIY labels, which are often run by artists themselves and have negligible expenses attached to a release. The going digital rate for an album is $9.99. We sell our tapes for $3 less than that, with shipping it ends up being the same price. I really don't see how you can argue that.

I believe most of your favorite musicians offer their music for free, but you are not most people. You are smaller segment of an already niche audience. I imagine most of the bands you release on your label record for free. I imagine a lot of the music you listen to was recorded for free. That is not the standard for most music unfortunately. 

And I'm not arguing any of that. But the general point lingering through these pages is that for the past half decade tapes have become the media of choice for that "niche audience." So whenever I and other's around here seem apprehensive in anyway towards the market shift from community to industry as you speak of it's just unnerve with that I guess.
It's true that most of the music I listen to and nearly all of the people I've had interaction with record for free. Your explanation is very logical and I do agree with it. The majority of the music you're releasing was recorded professionally with people whose job is to record, master, design, etc etc and they certainly deserve compensation for all their work. Same with the artists creating the material and definitely same with the label creating and distributing the products. I know my perspective towards all this has steadily made me seem as tho I may be in some way upset by or against all this but that's really not the case. In many ways I'm sincerely interested in further understanding the mechanics behind spreading music. I really do got a lotta respect for the girth of what you guys've accomplished. 

Though I am still slightly confused about digital music rights... I always was under the impression that the only way downloading digital files was legal is if you were cataloging a digital library of your physical media to preserve the quality. I always took the inclusion of download cards and whatnot to be a gift of convenience; saving the buyer from going through the effort of ripping to computer or searching for high quality downloads. 

And I'm not arguing any of that. But the general point lingering through these pages is that for the past half decade tapes have become the media of choice for that "niche audience." So whenever I and other's around here seem apprehensive in anyway towards the market shift from community to industry as you speak of it's just unnerve with that I guess.

It's true that most of the music I listen to and nearly all of the people I've had interaction with record for free. Your explanation is very logical and I do agree with it. The majority of the music you're releasing was recorded professionally with people whose job is to record, master, design, etc etc and they certainly deserve compensation for all their work. Same with the artists creating the material and definitely same with the label creating and distributing the products. I know my perspective towards all this has steadily made me seem as tho I may be in some way upset by or against all this but that's really not the case. In many ways I'm sincerely interested in further understanding the mechanics behind spreading music. I really do got a lotta respect for the girth of what you guys've accomplished. 

Though I am still slightly confused about digital music rights... I always was under the impression that the only way downloading digital files was legal is if you were cataloging a digital library of your physical media to preserve the quality. I always took the inclusion of download cards and whatnot to be a gift of convenience; saving the buyer from going through the effort of ripping to computer or searching for high quality downloads. 

No worries, I am not trying to sound mad or argumentative nor think what you're saying is stupid. Just pointing some stuff out from my side of things. 

I get what you're saying re: digital rights, but I am not sure what your question is. I think people pointing out that our cassettes include the digital download aren't implying the digital download is worth money on top of the cost of the tape, but more so implying that the price of the tape is fair because it is cheaper than the industry standard price for a digital album.

Not true... I just got a tape pressed by NAC in three weeks.

Like Jeff mentioned earlier, we sell full-length tapes on average for $7. What most people are failing to realize is this – as with my label, RFC gives you a digital download with their tapes. Using their latest pre-order as an example (Spencer Radcliffe), the digital price is $8, the tape price is $7. There's a $1 difference for these two items. Tapes used to be priced at $10-$13 back in the 80-90s, and obviously didn't come with a download. With inflation that would be A LOT more today.

Put simply, tapes still have extremely quick turn-around time, and $8 is not a bad price to pay for them direct from a label.

1.5 years ago. It totally was like that at NAC. A bunch of other duplicators sprouted up to make up for it.

Sounds like NAC either lost business or they staffed up for the demand since then.