PO: DOOM - "Born Like This" Reissue on Lex Records

PPugXZV.jpg

http://shop.lexrecords.com/collections/doom-sale/products/born-like-this-vinyl

Finally a reissue of one of DOOM's best late-career efforts. Says its limited, but so did the last danger doom reissue which seemed pretty identical to this and ended up being widely available in the states for cheaper than on LEX records, so I would order this one with caution. Might email the label tonight and see if they're going to be distributing these to US record stores.

Seems to come with some sort of cardboard DOOM mask as well.

Tip: if you're looking to grab any other DOOM stuff from Lex, use the code "DOOM-SALE" with two DOOM records in your cart for 15% off.

Let me guess... it's going to be "limited" to 30,000 copies, pressed on thin-ass records that they claim are 200gm, and shipped in a stupidly thin cardboard envelope half-way across the globe.

Yeah, no thanks. I wait a few months & buy it for half that price.

Yuuuuup. Knew this had to be coming and I'll probably end up snagging from Amazon to complete the collection. Definitely not crazy about this album though.

Let me guess... it's going to be "limited" to 30,000 copies, pressed on thin-ass records that they claim are 200gm, and shipped in a stupidly thin cardboard envelope half-way across the globe.

Yeah, no thanks. I wait a few months & buy it for half that price.

Yeah, I got burned on the Mouse and the Mask reissue as well, but it's worth noting that "half that price" is pretty dishonest - the record was around $36 shipped to the states and I've not seen it retail for anything under $29.95 USD. a quick google shows $35 is an average domestic price for the reissue and the cheapest listing I could find period was $30 from bullmoose, which doesn't even include shipping. 

It was not a cheap release.

Also worth mentioning that the email specifies that orders from the Lex shop include a 3D cardboard DOOM mask cut-out that was originally handed out as a promo for the album when it was first released. I've tossed a picture of the full reissue bundle including the mask cut-out on the OP if you want to check that out.

Yeah, I got burned on the Mouse and the Mask reissue as well, but it's worth noting that "half that price" is pretty dishonest - the record was around $36 shipped to the states and I've not seen it retail for anything under $29.95 USD. a quick google shows $35 is an average domestic price for the reissue and the cheapest listing I could find period was $30 from bullmoose, which doesn't even include shipping. 

It was not a cheap release.

Also worth mentioning that the email specifies that orders from the Lex shop include a 3D cardboard DOOM mask cut-out that was originally handed out as a promo for the album when it was first released. I've tossed a picture of the full reissue bundle including the mask cut-out on the OP if you want to check that out.

Bullmoose orders over $25 have free shipping.

I'm cool with this reissue, I've wanted this album on vinyl for quite some time. Looking forward to hearing if this will be available in the US later on or if I'm gonna have to preorder from Lex. 

The most recent release of Mouse and the Mask was on pretty thin vinyl but it still sounded great... I didn't know that they'd claimed it was 200g, where did that come from? I was, overall, very happy with the release despite the price being about $5 (not that much) more than a typical new 2LP reissue would normally be. I can live with that since the packaging was awesome.

The most recent release of Mouse and the Mask was on pretty thin vinyl but it still sounded great... I didn't know that they'd claimed it was 200g, where did that come from? 

Well, I was exaggerating in order to make a point about the Born Like This reissue. 

Some retail sites are saying that DangerDoom is 180gm. I emailed them with a complaint about damage, and while I was at it I asked them why they pressed the discs so thin.

Their response: "The vinyl stock used on DANGERDOOM is 140gm. This is considered a “heavy" weight vinyl."

Complete bullshit.

Well, I was exaggerating in order to make a point about the Born Like This reissue.

Some retail sites are saying that DangerDoom is 180gm. I emailed them with a complaint about damage, and while I was at it I asked them why they pressed the discs so thin.

Their response: "The vinyl stock used on DANGERDOOM is 140gm. This is considered a “heavy" weight vinyl."

Complete bullshit.

Yeah, that's definitely a bullshit claim on their end. It's kinda weird that they'd invest so much effort in the packaging, then cut a corner like that on the media it's self...

That said, I don't really understand the hype behind 180g discs anyway. It's usually just another reason to charge more for a reissue, which is weird that Lex didn't just use it. I can have an "audiophile quality" album pressed on 120g vinyl that sounds better than 180g and vise versa, obviously. My point is that the weight of the vinyl has nothing to do with the sound quality.

No, the weight really isn't a big deal. And it sounds really good.

It just baffles me as to why they would even try to say it's something that it obviously isn't. That was a direct quote from their email. Seems shady, and doesn't inspire me to buy anything directly from them in the future. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, that's definitely a bullshit claim on their end. It's kinda weird that they'd invest so much effort in the packaging, then cut a corner like that on the media it's self...

That said, I don't really understand the hype behind 180g discs anyway. It's usually just another reason to charge more for a reissue, which is weird that Lex didn't just use it. I can have an "audiophile quality" album pressed on 120g vinyl that sounds better than 180g and vise versa, obviously. My point is that the weight of the vinyl has nothing to do with the sound quality.

I just want you to know that you have an incredible username. One of my top 5 albums of all time.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...