PO: Porcupine Tree - The Delerium Years 1995 - 1997 (8 LP Box)

Holy Shit!!!

Porcupine Tree - The Delerium Years 1995 - 1997 gathers together two pivotal (double LP) studio releases, along with the breakthrough Coma Divine triple live LP and a four track bonus 12" of previously unreleased material.

All of the audio (pressed on 180g heavyweight vinyl) has been remastered by Steven Wilson over the last three years and comes packaged in a deluxe box with 40 page hardback book containing extensive liner notes and a detailed band history by US journalist, Stephen Humphries.

The box, book and LP packaging is designed by long-term collaborator Carl Glover and features new and previously unseen material alongside the original artwork from the era.

Formed in the late 1980s as a side project (No-Man was Wilson's main band at this point), Porcupine Tree had become a fully-fledged touring group by the mid-1990s. The band's third studio release, 1995's The Sky Moves Sideways, was a landmark album awash with melancholic vocals, hypnotic guitar solos, spacious textures and dynamic instrumental passages, and saw the band shift to a progressive rock sound that would come to define their career.

Signify (1996) built on the advances of The Sky Moves Sideways and firmly established Porcupine Tree as a highly respected force in the emerging mid-1990's Underground scene.

Coma Divine, the live LP of a career-changing sold out show in Rome, appeared in late 1997. Consolidating Porcupine Tree's position as one of the pre-eminent live Rock bands of its age, the album proved that the band were as vital a force in concert as they were in the studio.

These three releases are accompanied by an LP of bonus tracks, including two versions of 'Signify' pressed as a concentric cut - depending on which groove the stylus falls into, you get a different mix.

The Delerium Years is a beautifully presented set chronicling the evolution of one of the UK's brightest talents of the 1990s and 2000s.

Preorder for 27th November release.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/product/169/7027/

Ha, looks like you beat me to posting it! I'll get mine deleted...

Steven Wilson just can't stop taking my money at the moment!

That said, I may sit on this for a while. I much preferred their slightly later albums (maybe Stupid Dream onwards?). Plus, the individual releases are still available.

The set does seem pretty nice though, and the book and bonus 12" sounds good....

My fingers were fumbling over my mouse when i saw Porcupine Tree as a new thread. Thought a Deadwing reissue had finally been announced. I just can't get into the old PT stuff. Deadwing, In Absentia and FOABP are where it's at.

We can dream! Saying that, SW has been playing Lazarus on pretty much every live show over the last year (maybe longer?), so perhaps a Deadwing re-issue is coming.

I'm gonna hold fire and see if Amazon list this before I make a decision. No mention of numbers, so I'm guessing this might be easily available...

Seems like an overkill set specially if all these albums are already available separatey. If I didnt have all the albums separately I still wouldnt buy this - I have noticed that I rarely play box sets and appreciate the item much more if its in its own original artwork/package. The mixes of the current vinyl albums were fine (werent they already remixed or were these remasters?)

Ah, sorry, it says the main albums were remastered, but still, werent they already?

Discogs shows the most recent represses (which are still available) being 2012 for TSMS and Coma Divine, and 2011 for Signify. Looks like TSMS and Coma Divine weren't remastered by SW, but Coma Divine was (although that one was 4 years ago). So, I think this means that they've all been remastered again....

I don't think they're worth getting if you already own them, but if like me you don't, then they're probably a good buy as you get the 12" with extra tracks and the 40 page book. Personally the price is a bit of a stretch for me though so I'm gonna hold out and see if this pops up a little cheaper elsewhere. £60-65 delivered and I'll possibly bite...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anybody here pick this up? I've been slowly working my way through the set, and I've gotta say, I'm a little disappointed with a few aspects of it. Sound quality, overall, is very good, which is certainly the most important part (Signify sounds phenomenal). Vinyl is nice and quiet, and the music dynamic with good bass presence.

As for my quibbles: Nearly every LP has very rough edges, with large gouges/nicks in a few. Now, this certainly doesn't affect playback, so just a minor gripe. But, when handling the records, it just makes them feel a bit "cheap".

But, then there's this: IMG_20160218_190845_649_zpsxzp1ycbu.jpg

Every single god damn sleeve is like this, so now I have to glue all the seems back together. Annoying. Just comes across as sloppy and lazy. I've come to expect MUCH better quality from Kscope and Wilson and Co. 

Oh well, the LP's do sound very good, the booklet is very nice, and the box looks great on the shelf.

Every single god damn sleeve is like this, so now I have to glue all the seems back together. Annoying. Just comes across as sloppy and lazy. I've come to expect MUCH better quality from Kscope and Wilson and Co. 

Oh man, that's annoying....did you contact Kscope about it?

I never had any problems with any BS/Kscope/SW/PT Release and consider all (the ones I own) as high-class, high-quality releases!

I haven't contacted Kscope, but I did send BS an email - not so much in a manner complaining to them, but making them aware of the issue, and asking them to pass the info on to Kscope. I'm still waiting to hear back from them, but they're always good to respond. I'll see what BS has to say about it, then maybe I'll send Kscope an email.

I never had any problems with any BS/Kscope/SW/PT Release and consider all (the ones I own) as high-class, high-quality releases!

Definitely... They've set a precedence for reliable, consistently high-quality releases. This is definitely a fluke for them; at least, in my experience.

So, now to figure out the best way to glue these back together...

I haven't contacted Kscope, but I did send BS an email - not so much in a manner complaining to them, but making them aware of the issue, and asking them to pass the info on to Kscope. I'm still waiting to hear back from them, but they're always good to respond. I'll see what BS has to say about it, then maybe I'll send Kscope an email.

Definitely... They've set a precedence for reliable, consistently high-quality releases. This is definitely a fluke for them; at least, in my experience.

So, now to figure out the best way to glue these back together...

I have the exact same experience. Top quality with everything expect for the sleeves, which have all come unglued quickly if they weren't already prior to pulling the records out. Sound quality is amazing on these though. I don't own any other pressings of these records yet but I can't imagine them sounding any better.

I have the exact same experience. Top quality with everything expect for the sleeves, which have all come unglued quickly if they weren't already prior to pulling the records out. Sound quality is amazing on these though. I don't own any other pressings of these records yet but I can't imagine them sounding any better.

Lisa, from Burningshed, emailed me back, and stated that they, and Kscope, were well aware of the issue. She said they have a small stock of corrected sleeves that they'll be mailing out soon. So, definitely contact BS and let them know that you've been affected too, if you haven't yet.