Marilyn Manson Reissues?

yeah, but this kind of stuff muddies the water for people who want original copies of stuff... like I can't tell you how many counterfeit copies of PJ Harvey's Stories from the City record I went through until I found someone who not only had an original, but also KNEW that it was an original. 

10 hours ago, tonyfranciosa said:

yeah, but this kind of stuff muddies the water for people who want original copies of stuff... like I can't tell you how many counterfeit copies of PJ Harvey's Stories from the City record I went through until I found someone who not only had an original, but also KNEW that it was an original. 

Agreed. But in the case of these Manson bootlegs they're pretty easy to tell apart from official pressings. All the bootlegs I've seen are on colored vinyl (minus Mechanical Animals which has a cover without text). 

On 1/26/2020 at 1:13 PM, ZeroNowhere said:

Because some people are ok with temporarily completing a discography with a bootleg due to the insane cost of originals.  I have some  bootlegs that sound really good for what they are and are fun to jam.  Since I’m no longer into CD’s, I don’t have a CD player, and I’m not into streaming if I’m listening to music at home.  I keep it old school for better or worse.  I fell out of Manson by the time these albums came out, so for what I paid, I thought it would be fun to give these albums a listen on vinyl even if it was CD sourced, which 99% of the time they are.  It’s a fun impulse buy.

It definitely depends on the buyer as if this counts as completing a discography. I don't fault anyone for buying these but to me it feels like putting a baseball card on a copier.

Edited by deftbarley

14 minutes ago, daegor said:

Bootlegs have merit where the album was never pressed, or if the album in question is hard to find at a reasonable price and will never be repressed.

These definitely qualify in the latter, the masters are gone, they will never get a real repress.

If we can take Manson's word, the masters were recently discovered to have NOT been destroyed, Manson just thought they were because of his and Reznor's beef and Trent fucking with him:

"So I didn’t speak to Trent because at the time when you make an album it’s on a hard drive and it’s also on a tape machine. And I just remember when we got in a fight and he kicked me out of the studio, that he smashed the hard drive. So for many years I thought that the masters for “Antichrist Superstar” were destroyed.”

"But he ran into Tyler Bates at some thing regarding scoring, because he had done the Facebook movie—which I thought was an amazing score. And Tyler Bates was doing the ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy‘, I think, the first one.

And he told me that Trent wanted to get in contact with me and gave me his number and I talked to him and he told me that he had the masters still. Which made me very happy, but the anger was gone.”

Source: https://www.theprp.com/2017/09/19/news/marilyn-manson-details-past-feud-trent-reznor-shares-recent-texts-justin-bieber/

On 1/28/2020 at 1:41 PM, daegor said:

News to me!  Last I heard Trent claimed he hadn't destroyed them, but they were still missing.

Seems odd that no one has jumped on a repressing if they have in fact been found, there's gold in them hills.

I imagine there's a lot of red tape(lawyers) on this one...

• 6 months later...
14 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

Has anyone tried the recent boots I've seen on eBay?

Are they CDs on vinyl (the norm), or are any of them actual represses as is sometimes done. Im interested in Lest We Forget.

I’m not sure what the audio source is. I bought a boot copy of this and mine sounds great. 

On 1/28/2020 at 2:04 AM, ghost said:

Agreed. But in the case of these Manson bootlegs they're pretty easy to tell apart from official pressings. All the bootlegs I've seen are on colored vinyl (minus Mechanical Animals which has a cover without text). 

The “official” Simply Vinyl UK 180 gram pressing has the same cover, along with one of those awful PVC sleeves:

https://www.discogs.com/Mar1lyn-Man5on-Mechanical-Animals/release/10738902

Edited by Plarocks

8 hours ago, Plarocks said:

The “official” Simply Vinyl UK 180 gram pressing has the same cover, along with one of those awful PVC sleeves:

https://www.discogs.com/Mar1lyn-Man5on-Mechanical-Animals/release/10738902

Gotcha. I don't have a simply vinyl repress so didn't know it had a different cover.  

16 hours ago, ghost said:

Gotcha. I don't have a simply vinyl repress so didn't know it had a different cover.  

I have it, and the colored vinyl USA press.

The former has some nice low end, but as some people mentioned in Discogs, it could be sourced from a CD master.

I actually wish I kept this German issue, as it sounded the best to my ears, but I mailed my copy back because it came warped:

https://www.discogs.com/Mar1lyn-Man5on-Mechanical-Animals/release/14676441

Edited by Plarocks

1 hour ago, Plarocks said:

I have it, and the colored vinyl USA press.

The former has some nice low end, but as some people mentioned in Discogs, it could be sourced from a CD master.

I actually wish I kept this German issue, as it sounded the best to my ears, but I mailed my copy back because it came warped:

https://www.discogs.com/Mar1lyn-Man5on-Mechanical-Animals/release/14676441

Even better than the original nothing records pressings? Nice. What did you like more about the sound in comparison? I've got a colored pressing myself and have no qualms about the sound.

Ah, that's unfortunate. Warped records are the worst. I've never got any that weren't beyond repair with some heavy books and a flat surface, but it's still really annyoing.

Edited by ghost

2 hours ago, ghost said:

Even better than the original nothing records pressings? Nice. What did you like more about the sound in comparison? I've got a colored pressing myself and have no qualms about the sound.

Ah, that's unfortunate. Warped records are the worst. I've never got any that weren't beyond repair with some heavy books and a flat surface, but it's still really annyoing.

You know what, I never played my OG US of this, as I bought it cheap, like $16.98, and was having issues with some colored vinyl pressings at the time.

I spun the warped German for just the first track on the waviest side, and my Thorens DID track it like a champ. 👍🏻

Just being a BRAND NEW record, I was so annoyed at the warpage.

It was only $20 back in the early ‘aughts, but money was SO tight back then. 

I plan on purchasing one of those Japanese disc flatteners in the future, as I have a huge collection and a LOT of it is still sealed, which if you plan on keeping them and playing them, is a bad idea. 😜

As for the sound, It has been a while, but I remember the high end being a bit more defined on the German re-issue, but the Simply Vinyl had more low end “thump,” and sounded more like a LOT of my import LPs from the 90s.

I also preferred the text free cover art, and liked having both LPs in one jacket.

Edited by Plarocks

6 hours ago, Plarocks said:

You know what, I never played my OG US of this, as I bought it cheap, like $16.98, and was having issues with some colored vinyl pressings at the time.

I spun the warped German for just the first track on the waviest side, and my Thorens DID track it like a champ. 👍🏻

Just being a BRAND NEW record, I was so annoyed at the warpage.

It was only $20 back in the early ‘aughts, but money was SO tight back then. 

I plan on purchasing one of those Japanese disc flatteners in the future, as I have a huge collection and a LOT of it is still sealed, which if you plan on keeping them and playing them, is a bad idea. 😜

As for the sound, It has been a while, but I remember the high end being a bit more defined on the German re-issue, but the Simply Vinyl had more low end “thump,” and sounded more like a LOT of my import LPs from the 90s.

I also preferred the text free cover art, and liked having both LPs in one jacket.

Very thorough answer hahaha. That's some pretty impressive restraint. I tear into new record I buy.

That's interesting, I'm curious how it compares to a nothing records pressing. Overall it sounds good to me but it can get really loud so I end up having to turn down the volume a lot. Chalk that up to a good DR I guess. 

I can see a simply vinyl copy having a more low end sound profile. I've got a couple other SV releases and they have a similar more bass to mid-ended sound. Cranking up the high ends on my speakers is usually good enough to compensate for it.