Trading etiquette

jhulud

Here is the story. A friend posed this question to me on a trade he is doing and I was at a loss for words to give him an answer.

My friend has a 2nd pressing of a band's record. He is trying to make a trade for the 1st pressing of that same record. Well, the guy who has the 1st pressing is cool with getting that 2nd pressing from my friend but wants something in addition to. His pretext is that he's giving up his 1st pressing for my friend's 2nd, so that 1st is "worth" more.

(The band and album are really irrelevant to this discussion by the way)

Being that he knows I have a bit more experience with trading and record collecting, he asked me if I thought this guy is being unrealistic or is it a valid request.

I was stumped. I have never encountered this trading situation nor have ever thought about it.

How do you guys and gals feel about something like?

Well I'd say since your friend is initiating the trade and is giving a second pressing for a first he should sweeten the deal a little bit. I'd say nothing to much like $5 or whatever (depending on if the first pressing really is worth more). Because the guy with the first pressing is gaining nothing really whereas your friend would obviously prefer to have a first press and therefore is gaining something.

I think it comes down to how long the period was between pressings (assuming if the first pressing is more than five years before that first it's probably a bit more rare.) From there I kind of look at it in the numbers that were pressed way. Throwing a 7" in for a trade offer always helps, I mean, they're getting TWO items for one. That always sounds promising.

it totally depends what record it is and how readily available each pressing was. I don't mind tossing a few records for one. I've found it easier to work out deals that way. you also have to consider what you had to shell out to get what your trading. Also have to consider if what your parting with is easily replaceable

Guest havenhurst

why the hell would someone trade a first pressing for a second without getting anything out of it?

that's like asking someone to trade you a dollar for fifty cents. and not only that, but they have to pay to ship it to you!

great deal!

Guest havenhurst
Well I'd say since your friend is initiating the trade and is giving a second pressing for a first he should sweeten the deal a little bit. I'd say nothing to much like $5 or whatever (depending on if the first pressing really is worth more). Because the guy with the first pressing is gaining nothing really whereas your friend would obviously prefer to have a first press and therefore is gaining something.

even if the 1st pressing isn't worth more, the kid that's being asked to trade off his first pressing is getting nothing but a shipping charge out of the deal.

even if the 1st pressing isn't worth more, the kid that's being asked to trade off his first pressing is getting nothing but a shipping charge out of the deal.

I more meant $5 or more depending on if the first pressing is worth more. Also I thought paying for his shipping would go without saying.