Death Grips to Release New Album Titled "Bottomless Pit"

MahPah

Can't wait for the new LP. I saw them back in July at the Paradise and before the show started there was definitely unreleased material playing. It was super glitchy/abrasive like stuff on NOTM but it also had the blown out distortion and colorfulness of Jenny Death. Really hope that stuff is on the new album. Anybody else hear that stuff playing? 

I think Zach Hill really is the draw, I got a kick out of them doing a whole album with Bjork samples but it was really hard to stomach. I just feel like their gimmick is what can we do to piss people off and how much can we get away with. Honestly outside of the drumming, it's not that innovative, I feel like Dalek covered more ground in the industrial rap genre. He does it more for me, but I get the appeal. I have a friend who has 100% discography on vinyl and has seen them a handful of times, and he swears by them.

Not to be "that guy" again...but I'm going to be. There's no news of a vinyl release for this, right? Get this shit moved over to the everything else board.

Posting that a new album is coming out with no news of a record release, on the vinyl forum is the VC equivalent of "FIRST!"

I think Zach Hill really is the draw, I got a kick out of them doing a whole album with Bjork samples but it was really hard to stomach. I just feel like their gimmick is what can we do to piss people off and how much can we get away with. Honestly outside of the drumming, it's not that innovative, I feel like Dalek covered more ground in the industrial rap genre. He does it more for me, but I get the appeal. I have a friend who has 100% discography on vinyl and has seen them a handful of times, and he swears by them.

yeah, they definitely get the Dalek comparison a lot. I say this as someone who loves me some Dalek - Death Grips have gotta be more innovative in almost every way. Dalek has an awesome dense atmosphere, but it's pretty traditional MCing over noisy industrial production - the sound design / sampling isn't nearly as mutated and weird, and the rhythms are pretty standard rap beats. check out the stuttering, disorienting rhythm of "Full Moon (Death Classic)" for a good example of Death Grips' untraditional rhythms.

Dalek is more of a classic, bars-on-beats type thing - not at all a negative, but their similarity is pretty skin-deep. as for Hill being the main draw - he's definitely the first thing that grabbed me about the group, especially live, but I have a TON of respect for Andy as a producer and Ride as a vocalist. i really think they're three equal parts of a formula.

the one thing I don't understand is why everyone keeps saying "if you take out zach hill, they wouldn't be that great." it's like saying "if you take out John and Paul, the Beatles wouldn't be that great." like, Zach hill is in the band, he's an integral part of the music, so why are we playing the alternate reality game of "what if he wasn't in the band"? he -is- in the band, so...

that's probably why I was drawn more towards Dalek, outside of the Roots I can't name too many crossover rap artists I like (can't stand Flobots, post-you can't imagine atmosphere,etc.). I totally get the appeal but I think I'm just too particular with rap, and prefer sample based beats.

This just in:

The new Death Grips album will only be released as a low quality video on redtube of Ride fucking Zach Hill in the ass, shouting "Bottomless Pit," repeatedly.

Weak. :(

These guys are about their art and don't a fuck about society. As such, they are punk as fuck. Some people would like to interpret this as being gimmicky or putting out grating stuff, etc... in reality it's just them doing whatever they want to.

• 4 months later...

This band is beyond overrated

100%

I like it enough to tell people I like it, but not enough to buy any it wax.

I feel like if Zach Hill wasn't in the band, not many people would pay attention to them. At least I wouldn't. Dude should have continued on with Rob Crow/the Ladies.

I truly understand when people don't like Death Grips, and don't even try to convince them otherwise or explain why I like them.  These guys are the punk of rap.

And while Zack Hill may be the reason a lot of people check them out, that definitely wasn't the case for me.  I didn't even know who he was until I listened to Death Grips.  And I couldn't care less about his work outside of Death Grips.

I think death grips' stuff is easily among the most forward thinking, colorful and evocative hip-hop music ever made. its so far removed from every norm of similar genres that the online reaction has been pretty weird due to the excitement, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to discredit them. the production is consistently colorful and creative, the time signatures and compositions are dizzying and jarring, and ride is that one-in-a-million kind of vocalist who can adhere to every groove and subtlety of an instrumental. he's constantly twisting and stretching the limits of his range both vocally and lyrically while maintaining a constant sense of distinct, unique identity.

that being said, the nature of the bands music is purposefully off-putting and jarring - even as a fan I have been initially challenged by almost every new release. I'd definitely recommend a LOT of separate listens for these guys - it takes a while to digest, but when it clicks, it clicks hard. or, yknow, maybe it's not worth it for you because you just don't dig it, and that's totally cool too - but I'd be hesitant to call them "overrated" when they really are introducing something new and interesting in a genre that desperately needs creative expansion and diversity.

so yeah, can't wait for this record. I hope they tour this one too, they're absolutely nuts live

This guy gets it.

And yeah, fingers crossed for a tour, I've never managed to make it out to a show.