Custom Turntable Weights

I've been chewing over this idea for a while.

How many of you guys would be interested in getting a hand made, metal turntable weights? I have the means to produce some and I'm looking to gauge how interested you'd all be.

They'd be a milled 1lb aluminum weight that would be produced to order.

The price of them is still undetermined, but depending on interest I could definitely give concrete numbers.

For those wondering it'd look something like this spinning on a turntable. I could always take a picture of it still if anyone is interested.

Rz0EOS1.png

PM me if you're interested!

Oh, here it is :)http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/92449-custom-made-record-clampsweights-good-idea/

That time nothing came out of it from what I remember. I'd say go for it, as long as you can compete with other people doing the exact same thing when it comes to price.

Another thing worth noting, a 1lb weight on any entry level belt drive table (your regas and your pro-jects, and of course anything below that) is a really, really bad idea.

Oh, here it is :)http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/92449-custom-made-record-clampsweights-good-idea/

That time nothing came out of it from what I remember. I'd say go for it, as long as you can compete with other people doing the exact same thing when it comes to price.

Another thing worth noting, a 1lb weight on any entry level belt drive table (your regas and your pro-jects, and of course anything below that) is a really, really bad idea.

Nothing may very well come out of this, depending on interest.

And in regards to the weight - I spoke with someone from Pro-Ject and they said that a 1lb weight wouldn't put any strain on the belt drive.

I'd be interested if they were ridiculously priced like most weights already are.

... So you want them expensive?

And in regards to the weight - I spoke with someone from Pro-Ject and they said that a 1lb weight wouldn't put any strain on the belt drive.

Regarding a particular model or in general? People have reported bad experience with both the Debut line and the Rega's RP1. These things weren't designed with this weight in mind and both the motor and the bearing should suffer from it in the long run. But if a Pro-Ject rep said it's ok I definitely won't argue :)

*weren't

Oh. Well the goal is to create a nice weight that isn't too expensive. My goal is to have them be at a very accessible price, but that will all be determined by how many people want one and what the exact specifications are. I'm shooting for each weight to cost under $50 Canadian.

I could be interested in this, but I have a Pro-ject and wouldn't want anything to get messed up. Will look into it.

That's totally fair, as I said, a representitve from Pro-Ject said the weight would be no problem for the motor. As well I've been using my a 1lb one for over two years on my Pro-Ject Carbon and there hasn't been anything noticeable.

With that said, the weight of the turntable weight is not set in stone.

That's totally fair, as I said, a representitve from Pro-Ject said the weight would be no problem for the motor. As well I've been using my a 1lb one for over two years on my Pro-Ject Carbon and there hasn't been anything noticeable.

With that said, the weight of the turntable weight is not set in stone.

Right on. Consider me interested if the price is right ;)

Oh. Well the goal is to create a nice weight that isn't too expensive. My goal is to have them be at a very accessible price, but that will all be determined by how many people want one and what the exact specifications are. I'm shooting for each weight to cost under $50 Canadian.

If you need a beta tester in the states I got you!

So after speaking with the production side of this little project, it looks like to have production costs low so they'll be at a reasonable price, it looks as if we're going to have to produce around 30 so that we can sell them at ~$50 Canadian each.

So would you guys that are interested in buying one of these weights be willing to pledge to a Kickstarter or Indiegogo so that we can get concrete numbers and go into production? The only additional thing that would have to happen is I'd have to contact you to pay a second time for shipping as prices fluctuate from shipping inside Canada and outside so I wouldn't include shipping in the Kickstarter price.