PO: Grimes - Art Angels

Dudes, unless there is a limited edition there is absolutely no reason to pre order and certainly no reason to pre pay for this record. It will be everywhere. And the price will probably drop.

You are most certainly right with your first assertion.  Hopefully correct on the second one too.   Gonna pick this one up from my local shop unless they announce a Deluxe.

Record store UK is offering a ltd ed with "14 exclusive art prints designed by Grimes." That sounds cool.

https://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordstore/recordstore/Art-Angels-Art-Prints/4YKQ0000000

if the cover art is any indication to what her art looks like..... I'm good.

Im thinkin it's actually 7 double sided prints. US store says nothing about it but UK does. Rough trade says 7 prints. So damn confusing i ordered too many lol. I think they are going to be all the same. Also i know that they are tarot card inspired. And the new song is sick.

I keep seeing this chick's name everywhere.  I saw her open for Lana Del Rey this summer, and had never heard of her.  She was flat out terrible...like...real bad.  She would literally just start screaming into the mic at random points in several of her songs, and people would go ape shit.  I think I'm just old, and don't get it, b/c a large part of the crowd seemed to really dig her set.

I saw her at lana and loved it. Love both of them but i thought she was better than lana. Everyone's got different taste though.

For sure, I think Lana put on a pretty good show, but I'm biased in this comparison b/c I'd actually heard and liked her music prior.

Felt the need to comment simply b/c I have seen this artist's name several times in different places in the last two weeks alone.

I keep seeing this chick's name everywhere. I saw her open for Lana Del Rey this summer, and had never heard of her. She was flat out terrible...like...real bad. She would literally just start screaming into the mic at random points in several of her songs, and people would go ape shit. I think I'm just old, and don't get it, b/c a large part of the crowd seemed to really dig her set.

I'm the opposite. I love Grimes, but think Lana Del Rey is ridiculously contrived and boring. But different strokes, I guess.

I keep seeing this chick's name everywhere.  I saw her open for Lana Del Rey this summer, and had never heard of her.  She was flat out terrible...like...real bad.  She would literally just start screaming into the mic at random points in several of her songs, and people would go ape shit.  I think I'm just old, and don't get it, b/c a large part of the crowd seemed to really dig her set.

Never seen her live but maybe its worth it for you to go back and try check out songs like Oblivion, Realiti, Genesis or just try the album Visions out.

I'm the opposite. I love Grimes, but think Lana Del Rey is ridiculously contrived and boring. But different strokes, I guess.

Yup agreed. I like a few of Lana's songs but Grimes has her beat on tunes. Realiti, Go, Phone Sex, Oblivion, and Genesis are all better then any song that Lana has recorded in my opinion. Brooklyn Baby is great though.

For sure, I think Lana put on a pretty good show, but I'm biased in this comparison b/c I'd actually heard and liked her music prior.

Felt the need to comment simply b/c I have seen this artist's name several times in different places in the last two weeks alone.

Welll, to put things in perspective: Grimes put out one of the most critically acclaimed albums of 2012 (it was on nearly every critic's list that year, and its legacy has grown over time).  Visions wound up changing the landscape of both modern pop and electronica and is likely to wind up near the top of most end-of-the-decade-lists.   So it's not like she's an unknown.   And for the record, I like Lana (or at least, I like Ultraviolet) and I'm also no spring chicken (I'm 29).   Also, I'm shocked that Grimes was supposedly bad live.   She is known as a great live performer (and the footage I've seen of her on things like KEXP would indicate as much).

“Modern” is the only word for Visions, an intensely nuanced master-work of pop collage, pegging down bubblegum synth-pop and 90s R&B and K-pop and metallic IDM with Boucher's distinctive falsetto, variously featherlight or fierce. Along with 2012's "Vanessa", Visions soundtracks Grimes' ongoing claim for space in the continuum of great pop eccentrics. In the time since its release, this record has become omnipresent; at least in New York, I cannot go a week without hearing it at some bar or café, but most often it loops in my head, an antidote".

Listed at #15 for the decade (they had it at #7 for that year): http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9465-the-top-100-albums-of-2010-2014/5/

Listed at #2: http://www.nme.com/blogs/the-big-picture/50-best-albums-of-2012

Listed at #26: http://www.stereogum.com/1210661/stereogums-top-50-albums-of-2012/franchises/list/

Listed at #33: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/50-best-albums-of-2012-20121205

Listed at #1: http://www.gorillavsbear.net/gorilla-vs-bears-albums-of-2012/

And that's just a small sampling of lists. 

Point being, I'd encourage you to reapproach her music.  Here are some places to start: