Solid State Records Remember November (WEEK 3: The Chariot)

Just another thought- I'm pretty sure the only way they can afford to license these albums and press them while keeping them at a "reasonable" price is to press them at 2000 units and do no vinyl mastering on them--straight digital-to-vinyl.  That's what someone in-the-know with T&N told me awhile back.  

Yeah, with that manufacturing method, they're looking at less than $5/unit manufactured. I'm sure licensing isn't cheap, but even if it was $15/per unit (which would be absolutely insane), they're still making a decent profit for very little work. Regardless, digital-to-vinyl is not an excuse for how shitty these sounds. 90% of the reissues this board has in their collection are digital masters to vinyl, and these recent reissues might be the worst sounding and have the worst QC in my collection. I pressed "The Weak's End" and that record sounds good. Surprise! it wasn't pressed from an analog source. Somehow, after licensing, we were still able to sell them for like $13 at a quarter of the pressing run. 

Yeah, with that manufacturing method, they're looking at less than $5/unit manufactured. I'm sure licensing isn't cheap, but even if it was $15/per unit (which would be absolutely insane), they're still making a decent profit for very little work. Regardless, digital-to-vinyl is not an excuse for how shitty these sounds. 90% of the reissues this board has in their collection are digital masters to vinyl, and these recent reissues might be the worst sounding and have the worst QC in my collection. I pressed "The Weak's End" and that record sounds good. Surprise! it wasn't pressed from an analog source. Somehow, after licensing, we were still able to sell them for like $13 at a quarter of the pressing run.

I've been meaning to ask you. How did you manage to get the rights to press that with T&N not even owning their own back catalog?

If you have any extra copies laying around...

Good points, I agree.  I don't know specifics on how much the licensing costs but I hear it's pretty high--closer to your insane price/unit, if I had to guess.  Regardless, that still leaves the question of quality.  Maybe the label's sending in 192 kbps mp3s as their audio source.  Who knows.

I've been meaning to ask you. How did you manage to get the rights to press that with T&N not even owning their own back catalog?

This was well before T&N sold their catalog. We had plans and verbal approval to press The Question but then, as soon as we were ready to do it (right after TWE was released), T&N said they were going to do it because TWE did so well. They never did, and sold the catalog a couple years later.

If you have any extra copies laying around...

They're all long gone, sorry.

Good points, I agree.  I don't know specifics on how much the licensing costs but I hear it's pretty high--closer to your insane price/unit, if I had to guess.  Regardless, that still leaves the question of quality.  Maybe the label's sending in 192 kbps mp3s as their audio source.  Who knows.

That wouldn't explain the issues with these pressings. There's just no quality control. These mastering issues should've been caught when test pressings were ran. It sounds like the manufacturing of the mothers/stampers is rushed or they have a shitty engineer doing it. T&N shouldn't be dumb enough to send mp3s for manufacturing. They probably send the actual CD. 

Correct me if I'm wrong dreamover, but u released The Weaks End on vinyl wayyyy before TandN sold their back catolog.

Also, on that note, I love my Weaks End and Brandston releases!

That wouldn't explain the issues with these pressings. There's just no quality control. These mastering issues should've been caught when test pressings were ran. It sounds like the manufacturing of the mothers/stampers is rushed or they have a shitty engineer doing it. T&N shouldn't be dumb enough to send mp3s for manufacturing. They probably send the actual CD. 

I know, I was just being a bit ridiculous with my conjecturing--a little ridiculousness seems commensurate with all of this.  

Licensing is not nearly as expensive as the apologists on this board want to assume. It seems like a huge number, but when you divide it between 2K units, it gets small pretty quickly.

Assume that the pressing costs $8-9 and that the licensing is $10K. That only adds $5 to the unit cost. $10K is a HUUUUGGGEEE amount of money for licensing, FYI.

Also, even if the source is digital, it just takes a decent lacquer job to avoid IGD. Doesn't add a dime to the cost of the pressing.

Licensing is not nearly as expensive as the apologists on this board want to assume. It seems like a huge number, but when you divide it between 2K units, it gets small pretty quickly.

Assume that the pressing costs $8-9 and that the licensing is $10K. That only adds $5 to the unit cost. $10K is a HUUUUGGGEEE amount of money for licensing, FYI.

Also, even if the source is digital, it just takes a decent lacquer job to avoid IGD. Doesn't add a dime to the cost of the pressing.

spittin truth!