OPEN LETTER TO VC.

Satan

posting in epic thread.

In all seriousness though, the elitism that plagues this board is borderline unbearable. Oh you have 5,000 posts on a forum? cool, but that doesn't give you a reason to treat new members like shit. Also if you don't dig something, why waste your time ragging on the album/artist and the people who do?

/rant

Said I was bowing out, but I keep coming back because this is pissing me off. 

I think this is the issue more so than the new users. It took me a while to get my shit together, but I learned from it. Immediately ripping on new members because they don't instantly know the politics and nuisances of the board is ridiculous. Some new members are jackasses, but others would become contributing members if they were given the chance to get their shit together (though I acknowledged that this isn't many if our new influx lately is anything to go by). The elitism and bullying is just ridiculous. Satan, you aren't any better than the people you are complaining about. This thread is just about as "new board' attention whoring whining bullshit as you can get.

Said I was bowing out, but I keep coming back because this is pissing me off. 

I think this is the issue more so than the new users. It took me a while to get my shit together, but I learned from it. Immediately ripping on new members because they don't instantly know the politics and nuisances of the board is ridiculous. Some new members are jackasses, but others would become contributing members if they were given the chance to get their shit together (though I acknowledged that this isn't many if our new influx lately is anything to go by). The elitism and bullying is just ridiculous. Satan, you aren't any better than the people you are complaining about. This thread is just about as "new board' attention whoring whining bullshit as you can get.

If you post before you lurk, you're asking for it.

Want a recent example? Look at the guy going off the rails on Deafheaven's New Bermuda because the copy he received is not the exact color the label advertised. Really?!?! For fuck's sake.

That doesn't really seem like what he is getting at here.  That was an isolated example of some random person freaking out over the color of the record, and everyone proceeded to call them out about how ridiculous they were being. 

and honestly satan/divesandfives we've never really had beef, we used to get along.  shitting on knuckle puck and loving banner pilot.  yeah, i don't like it when people use rape as a catch-all verb or call someone a pussy or a faggot and i will tell them that i dont like it.  and honestly, i dont see how these boards cant be fun without that shit, and why they even need that to begin with.  if i'm ruining people's experience here i will bow the fuck out and just lurk.  my intention isnt to annoy all the *OG* pro boards posters, there's plenty of 16 year olds here for that.

go blast no matter where we go, remember that punk music exists, be happy, and read the liner notes to dear boys.  

later muthafuckaaaaaassssss

and honestly satan/divesandfives we've never really had beef, we used to get along.  shitting on knuckle puck and loving banner pilot.  yeah, i don't like it when people use rape as a catch-all verb or call someone a pussy or a faggot and i will tell them that i dont like it.  and honestly, i dont see how these boards cant be fun without that shit, and why they even need that to begin with.  if i'm ruining people's experience here i will bow the fuck out and just lurk.  my intention isnt to annoy all the *OG* pro boards posters, there's plenty of 16 year olds here for that.

go blast no matter where we go, remember that punk music exists, be happy, and read the liner notes to dear boys.  

later muthafuckaaaaaassssss

I'll allow you to keep posting.

There are components of your rant that are truly justified, Satan: the recent increase of (misplaced) threads dedicated to Fall Out Boy inquiries and Paramore pricing.  The New Bermuda dude who's genuinely upset that his colored wax doesn't match the mockup photo.  The never-ending stream of complaints about shipping costs, corner dings, flipping records, and securing tour variants.  It's nothing new, and it's more than alright to blow off some steam now and then.

However.  You're complaining about what makes VC so tough to browse, some days... but the irony here - if I'm being brutally honest - is that I'd rather read about seam splits and absurd MSRP prices over "VC veterans" grasping for attention.  I've called you out before because you post some of the dumbest try-hard shit I've ever seen on the boards.  Ranging from comments that broadly dismiss everyone's tastes (i.e. "There's a similar discussion to this one going on in the [     ] thread, but none of you would know that because you all listen to shit") to tastefully posting "ya'll are a bunch of faggots" in the middle of a discussion on [homo]sexuality – and why it's not alright to post derogatory comments pertaining to it.  I mean, I get that you're trying to be ironic or witty by attempting to derail topics in the flashiest ways possible.  But it just comes off as "hey guys look at me i'm being all edgy and shit lol".  It's embarrassing, and it induces way more cringes than any number of non-ironic Crosley threads will.  At least for me.

I've been accused of being a VC elitist more than once.  I'm pushing 9,000 posts, I'm aware, and I've been a member for nearly 7 years now, but the majority of those posts (and time) have been spent on niche discussions about music I'm excited for.  I don't regret them.  I do a lot more lurking than posting, and find myself scrapping a huge portion of my posts when I consider the weight of my words and whether or not they're even worth submitting.  [This post, for example, has been considered for deletion at least three times now.]  I was a part of the Proboards just like you were, so, yeah, I've seen some shit.  And I feel like there will always be new topics and members to point and laugh at.  I can't deny that it's nice to have a little fun with the newbies now and then, and I'm all-too guilty of getting in the periodic jab when a redundant questions begs for a sarcastic response.  But there's no reason to continually harass new members past the point of some light initiation hazing.

As far as tastes? – it's all subjective, sure, but you're right: as a collective, this board's tastes are fucking terrible.  There.  I said it.  More and more young people join every week, and there also seems to be a select group of adults who are chomping at the bit for Blink-182 reissues.  It's whatever.  But you need to stop stressing it and just adapt.  I don't even graze the Hot Topic repress threads, because - as snobby as I may sound - I basically have zero interest in 99% of the music that Travis is pressing splatter copies of.  Why rain on someone else's parade, or waste the energy to post something negative in a thread clearly catered to discuss the excitement for a release in a positive environment?  It seems pointless.  Work can get a little boring for me, of course, but there are a million other things to read and interact with, on the world wide web.  Once you develop a knack for letting those threads bubble up to the top of the boards while still tuning them out, it becomes pretty easy to lighten up and care less about the "inferior" music that so much of VC seems to be stuck on.  I love a good discussion on genres, tastes, and what it means to explore new music; even if I poke fun at the folks bouncing off the walls for My Chemical Romance represses, I don't think that I'm somehow better than them because my tastes have "evolved" past "high school drivel".  I just keep on scrolling and find something relevant to my interests.  It's pretty easy.

Members being attacked for their age is just stupid.  I agree that an occasional joke is worth posting when the comedic timing is right, but when users are being ridiculed just for being younger [or older] than the general age pool?  Come on.  DOMAN's in high-school and posts more articulate, relevant replies - that are in line with the forum rules - than a huge portion of new members.  And Don (drds89) is probably old enough to be my dad, but has no shortage of excellent recommendations and positive things to contribute to a lot of quality threads.  Point at hand? – age is moot.  Let it go.  If you really want to keep at it and get nasty, though, we can talk about your sleek "ninja edits", where you go on caps-lock tirades and then proceed to backspace them, leaving a simple "sorry I was drunk" in their place.  Losing your cool to someone half your age, flying off the handle, not having the balls to stick by your initial rant, and blaming it on a mid-day buzz?  That's pretty cool, I guess.  But proceeding to reply with "fuck the fuck right off, you don't know me or my sense of humor" when someone casually calls you out on it – that, right there, is the true essence of pushing 30.  Give me a break, man.

I'm all for healthy, isolated rants and I'm also a sucker for irony.  This topic delivers both in spades.  Sorry if I come off as a condescending prick.  I'm just staying true to the thread's theme, I guess:

Sometimes it feels like the, uh, VC cred or whatever is too highly regarded and it's difficult to be completely honest without people jumping on the downvote wagon.

Anyone who thinks this place used to be less full of pissy humans is just being nostalgic. There's just always been a general cause for the core board members to rally around. The Anti-AbsolutePunk movement, the glory days of Virgil bashing and dislike of our new SRC overlords.

The fact of the matter is, as much as its lame for some of us, a new group of pissy humans has taken over the actual record collecting part of this board and most of the older members do the majority of our conversation here in EE. Satan, I love you man, but we are starting to sound like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino these days.

With that said.

Get off my lawn motherfuckers.