OPEN LETTER TO VC.

Satan

The genres and bands that continued to use this format and keep it viable in the nineties and early '00s will be the same genres and bands that keep it going after soundtrack season is over.

This is the type of thing I'm getting at. There are labels that were around before the fad and will be around long after the fad. These are the people that deserve your money. They help bands rather than exploit them.

Hm. So if someone posts 4 options to buy, one of which happens to be Amazon, you'd rather people not have that choice? Even if it's significantly less expensive?

I mean, I get it. If it's a buck or two, whatever. If it's significant savings, yeah, I'll do Amazon.

Businesses must love you if you only ever want to see the highest priced options available.

Buy directly from labels.

But I have no problem buying from Amazon when the price is lower.

That's because you either don't know who you are supporting when buying all your shit from Amazon, or you simply don't care. It's the thing that bugs me the most about this place. I don't know a single person irl who orders shit through fucking Amazon. It's the worst fucking company in the world. At least you save a buck a two, so good for you.

That's because you either don't know who you are supporting when buying all your shit from Amazon, or you simply don't care. It's the thing that bugs me the most about this place. I don't know a single person irl who orders shit through fucking Amazon. It's the worst fucking company in the world. At least you save a buck a two, so good for you.

Weird, I don't know anyone who doesn't order from Amazon. Most people on this board (myself surprisingly not included) regularly torrent music, too--money isn't going to the artist that way either. I'm in high school and I don't have a ton of money, so forgive me if saving a few bucks with every purchase is an easy way to save.

From the two dollars you save the band gets a buck less and the label gets a buck less.

Learn to read. A buck or two, whatever I'll buy from the label. If it's one of those mistakes where Amazon is selling something for $5 or whatever I'm gonna buy it from Amazon.

For me to order a record directly from an American label, it costs $40 for a $15 LP after shipping and conversion to Canadian. I can order the same LP on Amazon for $15 shipped.

Am I a monster for using Amazon in this instance?

It's not about being a monster, but making a conscious decision about who one wants to support. I personally don't see two dollars as a good enough reason to actually support a corporate enterprise such as Amazon. 30$ fucking shipping costs are a whole 'nother thing though.

Just incase you don't know how Amazon works....

As an Amazon advantage supplier of product.

YOU pay to ship your product to whichever Amazon warehouse THEY decide needs it...THEY look at MSLP and determine what THEY want the final list to be....THEY make up their own discount to what they'll buy it off of you for AND you have a 3-4 day window to have it at that specific warehouse location and if you're before or after that window YOU get charged a fee based on how far off you missed their window. Additionally it said product doesn't sell, they ship it back to you and charge YOU postage and handling on that product. Also, when they place a PO with you it has to be confirmed or denied within 24hours or you get charged a penalty.

So, if you're a small label or a small distributor, it's merely a way of trying to get rid of unwanted/unsellable product.....and it's next to impossible to actually MAKE money selling through Amazon. This is why the majority of vinyl releases you see for sale via Amazon are major label or of a very large pressing. You have to be moving crazy amount of product via Amazon for you to even break even.

About that last point: Why are all of Topshelf Records and a lot of Run For Cover Records new releases showing up on Amazon.ca for cheaper than Amazon.com. I have ordered 4 records from Amazon in my life, but all in the past 2 months. As I said above, if I were to order a record from Topshelf directly (which I still do when I can afford it/want a certain variant), it is $40 to get a $13 LP to my door. Amazon has their new releases, but not older releases, for around $15 CAD. Both labels are pumping it successful releases, so I don't see why they would be sending them to Amazon(.ca), and having Amazon sell them for so cheap.

That's a lot of negs for such little criticism. I'm not trying to shit on anyone's parade here. My point is that in an online community that's dedicated to collecting/listening to vinyl I feel that a huge factor to all the dedication we put into it is supporting record stores and independent labels, because they are the ones that keep our hobby alive. To me Amazon is not an option, because they not only take any part whatsoever in keeping this format alive, their grand scheme is harmful to the labels and stores we all care about deeply (see birdwell's post above).

So instead of saving a couple bucks for each record I buy, I rather buy one or two records less each month knowing that my cash actually goes to those who put their heart into bringing that product to my door/store. I do understand of course that horrendous shipping costs can be a huge factor and Amazon know their shit when it comes to that. I'm not saying that everyone's supposed to do it like that, but I do think it's an appropriate enough topic to be discussed on a vinyl-dedicated online forum.

So, sorry if anyone felt too offended by what I said, didn't mean to nag on people.

I do understand of course that horrendous shipping costs can be a huge factor and Amazon know their shit when it comes to that. I'm not saying that everyone's supposed to do it like that, but I do think it's an appropriate enough topic to be discussed on a vinyl-dedicated online forum.

Are you sure you're not saying that? Because the way you worded it didn't really leave much choice:

It's very easy to take the moral high ground when you're so much better off in the first place. I'd love to support my local record store, the only problem is there isn't a single real record store in my entire country. And as mentioned before, amazon charges $6.5 shipping for an album, the average shipping cost from every other US retailer is around $25 for a single LP and $30-$35 for a 2xLP. You would rather miss an album a month than buy from amazon. But would you give away half of your collection to avoid buying from them?

Yeah I was trying to distance myself from that first post, since it was worded quite poorly. I do know that not everyone has a chance to shop locally (which is a shame) and I didn't mean to blame anyone who doesn't really have any alternative to Amazon (30$ shipping for every record bought is not an alternative), yet I stand ground on trying to make an open discussion about Amazon (non)ethics a little more common.

With all the stupid releases coming out why are we singling out soundtracks? When having to choose between a soundtrack that hasnt been pressed before or  Rock Me Amadeus on a 7" for $11, you choose to get upset over the soundtrack? Do we really need all the 80's represses for $25 that are already lining dollar bins?

Yeah I was trying to distance myself from that first post, since it was worded quite poorly. I do know that not everyone has a chance to shop locally (which is a shame) and I didn't mean to blame anyone who doesn't really have any alternative to Amazon (30$ shipping for every record bought is not an alternative), yet I stand ground on trying to make an open discussion about Amazon (non)ethics a little more common.

No offense to you, and I don't regularly buy records from Amazon, but I don't think the fact that they sell records at a lower cost is remotely as ridiculous as

This- http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/116810-po-herb-alpert-whipped-cream-and-other-delights-lp/

This- http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/115916-the-addams-family-50th-anniversary-lp/

Even this- http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/114711-black-friday-rsd-2015/

I assume all the bigger indie labels 'ok' Amazon to carry their records, and more often than not they usually only offer black/the least limited variant. People who visit these boards usually gun for the ultra limited splatter /100 variants available from the label directly.

More importantly, and I'm being a bit hypocritical, but if none of you guys help me generate my income in anyway then you don't get to tell me where and what I spend it on. If I want to buy the recent Promise Ring repress from Amazon and not Jade Tree and someone has a problem with their only defensive action will be to talk shit on the Internet. Boo hoo.

I've spoken my mind in all three of those threads.

You can call it hypocrisy if you like....I've never bought anything from Amazon....I've purchased used/second-hand items from third party sellers on Amazon a few times, but I've never made a purchase from Amazon that came from an Amazon warehouse.

Everything in this thread is pretty lol worthy.

Amazon is evil? What the fuck? So you're telling me I'm not supporting the correct multi-billion dollar corporation when I go to order my toilet paper or my toothpaste and have it shipped to my home? How are you on a high horse right now about never having ordered anything through them? Most ridiculous shit I've heard in a while.