Shipping from Canada / Toronto Cats

gravitylovesdrunks

Would some wonderful fella be so kind as to let a fellow Canadian know how hard one can expect to be ripped off at the post office? I'm talking about the whole deal - i.e. costs for a 7" to the U.S., to Europe, how much it increases for each added 7", same with LPs, etc.

About to make some of these here records liquid. Too many. Too many good jams. Keep an eye out. I live in Toronto, and I'd also like to skip the shipping hassle wherever I can. So make yerselves known, Toronties.

Shipping from Canada is pretty terrible at the best of times, though with the weak dollar, it will cost slightly less in other currencies per se.

Here is my experience more or less with Canada Post (prices Canadian)

To US, 1 LP is $11, 2 LPs is $16, 3 is $22 or so, 4-5LPs is $28. Not exact pricing, but goes up by .5kg. I believe the rates for small packet (under .25 kg) have gone up. I think it will be $5-7 for 7 inches. No tracking on any of this. Add about $4-5 for tracking.

To the rest of the world, shipping is bonkers. Surface mail is an option, with prices relatively similar to US, but it goes by boat and can take up to 10 weeks. Shipping by airmail is hilarious expensive. Surface to the world is like $10 for one, $17 for two, $25 for 3. Airmail is $20 for one, $35 for 2, $45 for 3-4. And that's without tracking...tracking starts at roughly $50 per LP. Even shipping 7 inches starts around $6-7 surface, and goes way up quickly.

But amidst all of my Discogs selling, I found a solution, though it's not always perfect. There's a place called Chit Chat's Express (www.chitchatsexpress.com) that does discount shipping through a number of methods. For one, they put your orders on a truck, drive it to the States, and put it into the USPS. They charge a fee per item, but when it's $4 for media mail for 2LPs, the $1 they charge for the service is still saving a ton. They also have really good international rates, as well as some Canadian rates that beat Canada Post for 1-2LPs further than the GTA/Montreal region. The only caveat? They aren't in the city proper. There are locations in Markham, Pickering and Mississauga I think.  I work near the Markham location so I drop stuff off once per week. It has meant that I can ship an LP to the UK for $8CDN, or $6 to the US. I can also ship one to Nunavut for $8-9 instead of $14 by Canada Post. 

I'm in Toronto. Lemme know whatchu got.

hey man, thanks a ton for that. are you sure it's that cheap to send 7"s? I recall it being like $7.45 for the first one years ago. And do you know the price increments for 7"s? 

For an idea of what I've got, deadformat.net/tradelist/gravitylovesdrunks is a good place to start, but I haven't updated that in forever. Currently shifting over to discogs, but this is a massive undertaking. Just getting started now. A ton to follow. Keep checking back: http://www.discogs.com/user/thinkingnothing/collection

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it's way more. It's entirely based on weight. Go to www.canadapost.ca and check out the weight for under 100 g and then over 125 g and see what it does. Also, the prices keep going up.

Also, I will definitely pick up a couple of your albums...have to take a good look first...

Awesome, dudes. I've had a couple PMs - glad there's interest. I'm going to get through cataloging the whole (or most of) the collection before I start talking about selling. Slowly chipping through it - close to 75% of the LPs are done. 7"s are another story. A metric shitload of those.

The deadformat link in the sig is outta date. 

the one above (http://www.discogs.c...hing/collection) will be the proper place to check it out / work in prog.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...