White Zombie - It Came From N.Y.C. 5LP + Book Box Set

24 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Well...mine was packaged just in the box w/o any packing material/padding...hence suffering from crushed corners. I could live with it...sure...but for the price paid...I'd expect better care and condition to be received in. Does that make me sound entitled? I'm sure some will think so...but hell, I mentioned in my email to NG that I'd be willing to even pay for a new storage box.

You shouldn't have to pay for anything and definitely doesn't make you sound entitled.  They should have shipped it better, and now I'm curious what mine will look like when it gets to me next week.  If I sell something and the buyer receives it damaged because of how I packed it, then I compensate them something.

If mine has crushed corners, I'm getting something from them out of it and I'm not paying for shit - lol 

Edited by djghost1976

1 hour ago, unknown pleasures said:

Did anyone who ordered this not get some degree of corner damage?

My copy has some "crushing" but I think I can live with it - it's only the outer box, afterall.

But looking at the packing material and how heavy the box is, it's difficult to imagine anyone would have received it without some level of damage. 

Mine arrived perfect. I'm just the lucky one I guess.

Jhulud, for what it's worth, I sent them an email asking about the GITD, and received a response within a couple hours. You may want to send another message. His name was Drew. I can PM you his email if you want

There's no doubt it was a poor choice in packaging for something so heavy/expensive. Mine was no different than anyone else's: just in a box a tad larger than the box set itself with no additional protection. 

I think it just comes down to what's been debated many times in this forum: the amount of damage you're willing to put up with and the level of time & effort you're willing to put in to get a replacement. 

In my case, I can live with it in the condition it arrived, but I have no problem with someone who feels differently seeking out a replacement. Like I said, the first thing I thought when I opened the box was "this should have probably been packed better."

Got a copy of the white version through my local today. This thing is super heavy duty and nice. Fun trivia, the cover photo was taken in Columbus at a no longer in existence venue called Stache's. It's pretty infamous in these parts for having lots of early shows by bands that later became immortal, the biggest being Nirvana. 

1 hour ago, negavinyl said:

Got a copy of the white version through my local today. This thing is super heavy duty and nice. Fun trivia, the cover photo was taken in Columbus at a no longer in existence venue called Stache's. It's pretty infamous in these parts for having lots of early shows by bands that later became immortal, the biggest being Nirvana. 

Never went to "Stache's" but went there a ton when it was little brothers. Saw Wesley Willis there!

1 hour ago, Satan said:

Never went to "Stache's" but went there a ton when it was little brothers. Saw Wesley Willis there!

I'm not an expert on such things, I'm a Columbus transplant who only moved here in 2009, but if I understand it correctly, Stache's was the Old North Columbus version and Little Brother's became the moniker when it moved to the Short North? I love hearing all the old stories from both venues about who played there way back when. Today was the first time I had heard about White Zombie at Stache's. Brett from Spoonful is a treasure trove of such knowledge, as is Kyle from Lost Weekend. 

I have a friend who lives on Blake and we always pregame for Ace of Cups shows at his house and it blows my mind to think that even closer to his house, way back when at a place called Stache's, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, White Zombie etc did gigs just down the street. Based on the lore, I feel like Ace of Cups is the new Stache's/Little Brothers and I always relish the opportunity to see bands there. 

Sorry for the derail, but hopefully you guys enjoyed the trivia. And for anyone local and interested in this box set, Spoonful is selling the white version for $85, even cheaper than the Numero site. Aaaand his copies also got bad corner dings and are being replaced, so even the retailers were not immune. 

This is one of the better box sets I've seen.  The book is pretty amazing, vinyl sounds good for what the source material was, and I'm glad I was able to snag a 'toxic green' set.  The jackets look great too and are super sturdy.  Luckily, I didn't have any dings on the box when it came.  Overall really pleased with this.

26 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

What do you guys think of rob doing astro creep in full at riotfest?

Wz live always brought the energy but rob was pretty awful with the mic. Not sure 20 years later it won't be cringworthy

Rob puts on a show - never really known for his mic skills.  This is very tempting for me to go back home to Chicago and check it out - and the rest of the lineup is ridiculous.

1) Any Rob performed White Zombie is great (obviously id like to see a reunion but still great)

2) Rob is one of the best performers on stage, dude is electric

3) Rob doesn't sound like shit live (yea, sometimes parts aren't sung directly into the microphone due to running all over the place/being out of breathe a little, dudes getting old) but when he does sing correctly, he still sounds great.

4) Yes, ive seen him multiple times, so I can back this up.

Edited by KingTacoMunster

2 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

1) Any Rob performed White Zombie is great (obviously id like to see a reunion but still great)

2) Rob is one of the best performers on stage, dude is electric

3) Rob doesn't sound like shit live (yea, sometimes parts aren't sung directly into the microphone due to running all over the place/being out of breathe a little, dudes getting old) but when he does sing correctly, he still sounds great.

4) Yes, ive seen him multiple times, so I can back this up.

I've seen him 6 times.  Other than the 3 WZ shows I attended, he sounded like ass. It's not necessarily him, it's more likely the sound guy.

The old WZ shows were amazing back in the day. I left those shows with a few bruises from the pit. I remember I bought a new tour shirt and it was all ripped to shit by the time I left the White Zombie / Kyuss show in '92 (I think).

I plan on attending his tour this summer provided my wife gets tix through her work.

1 hour ago, jhulud said:

Numero Group should've also pushed to reprint some old WZ shirt designs. That would've been cool. A few years ago (2-3 maybe), Sean Y. had some old reprints that she did up for sale. I should've grabbed them as I don't have any WZ shirt and should.

I back this. I miss my old WZ I out grew...wore it so much, the black was so faded

8 hours ago, jhulud said:

Numero Group should've also pushed to reprint some old WZ shirt designs. That would've been cool. A few years ago (2-3 maybe), Sean Y. had some old reprints that she did up for sale. I should've grabbed them as I don't have any WZ shirt and should.

I love the "shirtography" and completely concur. I've still got a couple of old White Zombie shirts. An Astro-Creep 2000 tour shirt that was just the album cover with dates on the back, and another one that was black and white and had a Rob drawing on the front with a scrawled "White Zombie" on the back. The only good thing about these shirts is I was so young when I bought them I got a large instead of an XL like I did with most things in the 90's, so I could technically still wear them. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...