What are you Top 10 albums of all time?

Sad Heart

// TOP 10 ALBUMS OF ALL TIME //

CRPchf9.jpg

So, last night I asked Small Talk what their Top 10 favorite albums of all time were. It made for an interesting discussion. Interesting to see what people are into, and it's to have more musical discussions on what is supposed to be a music website. (People from ST that already answered this, feel free to copy and paste.)

There a few rules / stipulations that I put in place to try to keep this list on topic while you make it. Trust me, I know it's a tough one to make. It took me 3 hours to decide between an album, and pained me to go from 25 albums down to 10. But it might show you a little more about yourself, and you can learn about other people on this board. That, and we engage in discussions and critique people. Now, this doesn't mean be a hostile dick about it, but judge away people.

Anyway, here are some things to consider while making your list:

• No repeat artists / bands. You can have associated acts. Ex: Two Sabbath albums, no. Sabbath, and Ozzy, that's fine.
  • Album has to be older than 5 years old. Now this is coming from someone who is almost 30, so I don't know what the scale should be for 15yr olds making this list. You figure it out.
  • It can be an EP / LP / Single / Comp. No greatest hits albums. If you have a greatest hits album as a favorite album you need to rethink your life.
  • Try not to let this turn into a nostalgia / sentimental / most influential / pinnacle list . Those are all completely different lists. Now, this isn't a Desert Island in the sense that you feel the need for variety. Just list the 10 albums you can't live without. As you make this list ask yourself 'Can I live without this album?'.
  • Your list doesn't have to be in order.
  • Keep in mind these are 10 albums you could listen to on repeat until your death and you would not regret any choice. Preferred if you know how to air drum every album.

Have at it, guys.

Top 10 Albums Of All Time:

// Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape (1997)
// Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)
// Black Sabbath - Master of Reality (1971)
// Black Flag - Damaged (1981)
// Caspian - Tertia (2009)
// Between The Buried And Me - Colors (2007)
// Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf (2002)
// Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (1975)
// Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger (1991)
// Green Day - Dookie (1994)

wm6GqNU.gif

Blue and Pinkerton too, but I feel like Blue has a bit of an edge over Pink because of Only in Dreams.

Also, the award for most overlooked record on my crazy broken-up list is The White Stripes' De Stijl.

Here goes my attempt at a top ten, in no particular order:

Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets II

Nirvana - In Utero

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Radiohead - OK Computer

The White Stripes - De Stijl

System of a Down - Hypnotize

Weezer - Blue

Jimmy Eat World - Futures

But there are so many honorable mentions...Pretty. Odd. is one of them, Siamese Dream is, Sgt. Pepper, Songs For the Deaf...this list may not even be accurate. Damn.

From Small Talk last night

01. The Cure. Disintegration

02. Wipers. Youth Of America

03. Sonic Youth. Daydream Nation

04. Talk Talk. Laughing Stock

05. Built To Spill. Perfect From Now On

06. Marvin Gaye. Let's Get It On

07. Modest Mouse. The Lonesome Crowded West

08. Smashing Pumpkins. Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness

09. My Bloody Valentine. Loveless

10. Converge. You Fail Me

I made a Top 30, cause I had to. Top 10 for now.

Awesome, Matt. This is gonna rule.

Its almost time for work and almost 5am but I put together a half asleep top 10..

AFI - Black Sails In The Sunset

Alkaline Trio - Good Mourning

The Cure - Disentegration

Converge - Jane Doe

Owen - No Good For No One Now

NOFX - Punk In Drublic

The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs

BTBAM - Colors

Coheed and Cambria - The Second Stage Turbine Blade

Caspian - Tertia

This is in no particular order. And I really went for what I would choose on a deserted island. I think these 10 would give me enough variety to not lose my mind over time. Have a good day kids.

Ta-daa!

No order, except BTS, that's always first for me :)

-Built to Spill- There's Nothing Wrong With Love

-Appleseed Cast- Two Conversations

-The Killers- Sam's Town

- The Anniversary- Your Majesty

- Smashing Pumpkins- Adore

-Mogwai- The Hawk is Howling

-Grandaddy- Sumday

-Death Cab for Cutie- The Photo Album

-Moneen- Are We Really Happy With Who We Are Right Now?

-Thin Lizzy- Black Rose

barely scrapes the surface for favorites, but those are the more influential albums that have stuck with me over the years and I have listened to dozens of times without ever tiring of them.

cool thread, looking forward to seeing some more!

Tool-aenima

Radiohead-okcomputer

Alexisonfire-crisis

Beck-midnite vultures

Sigur ros-AB

Pink Floyd-darkside

Animal collective-mpp

Deftones-white pony

Nirvana-in utero

Refused-shape of punk

That's a damn solid list. Love that Crisis in on there. Surprised by that particular Beck album.

And I thought making that Top 100 playlist on iTunes was tough ...

• The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
  • Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (well, it'll be 5 years old soon enough, so I might as well include it already)
  • The Beatles - Rubber Soul
  • Nick Drake - Pink Moon
  • The Doors - The Doors
  • New Order - Substance 1987
  • Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
  • Michael Jackson - Thriller
  • Coldplay - Parachutes
  • Iggy & the Stooges - Raw Power

No order, except BTS, that's always first for me :)

-Built to Spill- There's Nothing Wrong With Love

-Appleseed Cast- Two Conversations

-The Killers- Sam's Town

- The Anniversary- Your Majesty

- Smashing Pumpkins- Adore

-Mogwai- The Hawk is Howling

-Grandaddy- Sumday

-Death Cab for Cutie- The Photo Album

-Moneen- Are We Really Happy With Who We Are Right Now?

-Thin Lizzy- Black Rose

barely scrapes the surface for favorites, but those are the more influential albums that have stuck with me over the years and I have listened to dozens of times without ever tiring of them.

cool thread, looking forward to seeing some more!

Not ragging on you, but I admire how peculiar your Appleseed and Mogwai picks are. Probably both the weakest links in their discography (for me), but more power to you. Mogwai's THIH, particularly, was based off a score they were hired to write but was then abandoned. I think I've always sensed something was a little "off" with that record; it doesn't really stand as strong on its own as the rest of their catalog, I think.

So are these ten picks what we consider to be the pinnacle of our favorite jams? Or are we hand-selecting 10 albums we'd take onto a desert island? Both scenarios bear different results, since variety is a little more important in the latter.

Here's my 10 albums in no specific order

NOFX- Punk In Drublic

Less Than Jake - Losing Streak

Anti-Flag - A New Kind of Army

Pennywise - Full Circle

Slapstick - Slapstick

Streetlight Manifesto - Keasby Nights

Nirvana - Bleach

Rage Agaisnt the Machine - Evil Empire

Bad Religion - The Process of Belief

The Clash - London Calling

Not ragging on you, but I admire how peculiar your Appleseed and Mogwai picks are. Probably both the weakest links in their discography (for me), but more power to you. Mogwai's THIH, particularly, was based off a score they were hired to write but was then abandoned. I think I've always sensed something was a little "off" with that record; it doesn't really stand as strong on its own as the rest of their catalog, I think.

So are these ten picks what we consider to be the pinnacle of our favorite jams? Or are we hand-selecting 10 albums we'd take onto a desert island? Both scenarios bear different results, since variety is a little more important in the latter.

Those would be two very different lists for me. Definitely the latter, friend.

OK ok, here you go matt. Put more thought into this and took out the sentiment/nostalgia.

White Zombie - Astro Creep

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sex Sugar Magic

Faith No More - the Real Thing

Atreyu - Suicide Notes

Every Time I Die - Hot Damn

Down - Nola

Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony

Metallica - Black Album

And I thought making that Top 100 playlist on iTunes was tough ...

• The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
  • Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (well, it'll be 5 years old soon enough, so I might as well include it already)
  • The Beatles - Rubber Soul
  • Nick Drake - Pink Moon
  • The Doors - The Doors
  • New Order - Substance 1987
  • Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
  • Michael Jackson - Thriller
  • Coldplay - Parachutes
  • Iggy & the Stooges - Raw Power

Your choice of Abbey Road is odd to me. Out of their entire catalog, why that specific album? I've always found Rubber Soul to be bland and uninspired.

Here's my 10 albums in no specific order

NOFX- Punk In Drublic

Less Than Jake - Losing Streak

Anti-Flag - A New Kind of Army

Pennywise - Full Circle

Slapstick - Slapstick

Streetlight Manifesto - Keasby Nights

Nirvana - Bleach

Rage Agaisnt the Machine - Evil Empire

Bad Religion - The Process of Belief

The Clash - London Calling

Also, why Evil Empire? I'm really curious why you chose this over the legendary, the staple, the Sound City recorded, flawless S/T.

Fuck yes, Bleach.

I feel you for sure. MYT is their masterpiece to me, and Mr. beast and THIH are very comparable in progression, but to me THIH is one of their best with the track order and ups and downs of emotion, slowness to face melt etc. Two Conversations is a very personal album to me and was my intro to them. Best of theirs? Not really, but dearest to me and one I go to the most. Sagarmatha was their defining moment imo and Mare Vitalis is still unstoppable. I have always been a fan of the underdog albums by bands, see SP- Adore, StD- In Reverie. Idk why but those are the ones in drawn to. *shrug*

I feel you for sure. MYT is their masterpiece to me, and Mr. beast and THIH are very comparable in progression, but to me THIH is one of their best with the track order and ups and downs of emotion, slowness to face melt etc. Two Conversations is a very personal album to me and was my intro to them. Best of theirs? Not really, but dearest to me and one I go to the most. Sagarmatha was their defining moment imo and Mare Vitalis is still unstoppable. I have always been a fan of the underdog albums by bands, see SP- Adore, StD- In Reverie. Idk why but those are the ones in drawn to. *shrug*

100% feel you on all of this.

Also, why Evil Empire? I'm really curious why you chose this over the legendary, the staple, the Sound City recorded, flawless S/T.

Fuck yes, Bleach.

I went back and forth over which to go with. Both are solid and can't be wrong choices.

Kinda bummed I didn't put Refused -TSOPTC on my list. That's what I get for going of the top of my head and not bringing up itunes

I'm excited to read the results.

I feel like I'll be pretty predictable, but the fact it's literally a "stranded" compilation makes for some new angles to consider. I hope people really think on that before rattling their top 10 of all time, or the 10 records they've been spinning the most frequently as of late.