What are you Top 10 albums of all time?

Sad Heart

would prefer to take at least 100 albums to a desert island. would also want to take some albums released within the past 5 years.

also i'm assuming we are alone on the island. if we are with others on the island, i would revise this heavily to include more party music.

aphex twin - richard d. james album

black sabbath - paranoid

david bowie - low

the field - from here we go sublime

funkadelic - maggot brain

outkast - aquemini

pink floyd - meddle

pixies - doolittle

radiohead - kid a

ween - the mollusk

+1 for Richard D James. That guy made new mazes in my mind when I listened to him while tripping

++1 for Maggot Brain..just cause

+++1 for Ween, but why the Mollusk above something like, say, White Pepper or Chocolate & Cheese? I'm always curious what draws people to Ween since it's always a certain different something... 

+++1 for Ween, but why the Mollusk above something like, say, White Pepper or Chocolate & Cheese? I'm always curious what draws people to Ween since it's always a certain different something... 

the mollusk provides jams and puts a smile on my face. plus i think the ocean themes would be fitting while i'm stuck on a desert island. great background music while i'm trying to spear an eel with my makeshift harpoon.

the mollusk provides jams and puts a smile on my face. plus i think the ocean themes would be fitting while i'm stuck on a desert island. great background music while i'm trying to spear an eel with my makeshift harpoon.

I cannot hardly argue that one. My friend Sam introduced me to them and to Zappa, so he and I both are really happy they are playing together again next year. His favorite is 12 Golden Country Greats. If he gets a few beers in him, you will most certainly get an impromptu version of Mister Richard Smoker out of him lol

I actually quite hate making 'top' anything lists, because I can't make decisions.  This list leaves out so many of my favourite musicians and feels so incomplete as far as even touching on enough different styles or moods.The more I think about it, the more I would add and it would get tougher to decide, so I tried to not over-think it (ha!).   But every album here I can listen to the shit out of straight through and never get tired of.   It is probably a pretty odd list for some of you, but whatever.  Oh and I broke the rules because there are 11:

Tool - Lateralus

The Cure - Seventeen Seconds

Faith No More - Real thing

Beatles - White album

NIN - Pretty Hate Machine

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Led Zeppelin – Houses of the Holy

Tea Party - Edges of Twilight

Pearl Jam - Ten

Dead Can Dance - Toward the Within

Belly - Star

I suck with top ten all time lists.  I'm not well versed in "classic" albums of years past as I focus most attention on mostly modern music.  My "prime music listening years" didn't even start until about 2002 when I was 19.  Most everything prior to that was radio rock crap.

So, in saying that, here are the 10 albums I'd most likely take to a desert island with me, right now.  

Cloudkicker - Subsume (It's younger than 5 years old, but I don't care.  it's my favorite instrumental album, period.  I like it better than Beacons, so I can't go with Beacons)

Deftones - White Pony (I always struggle between this one and Diamond Eyes, but I'll go with White Pony)

Murder By Death - In Bocca Al Lupo (Another band I could choose any of 3-4 of their albums, but this is my favorite start to finish listen)

Muse - Hullabaloo (Probably another no-no because it's a live album, but it's honest to God probably the album I listen to the most.  It's Muse at their best, and the setlist is incredible.  Plus I'm a live album whore, so I have to bring one if it's a desert island)

Russian Circles - Geneva (My post-rock gateway drug and still a favorite of mine)

Dredg - Leitmotif (more raw and seamless than El Cielo)

*Fear Factory - Demanufacture (a friend of mine would jam some FF back in the day and I always loved it...this became the first real heavy album I ever got into

*Taproot - Gift (A friggin Taproot album in someone's top 10?  WTF?  Yeah, I know, but I was obsessed with this album when it came out.  They became the first band I really went all out and searched B-sides and demos for.  Even today when listening to this album, it holds up for me.  Everything after this album was pretty much crap.  It was my favorite of the *gasp* nu-metal era.  I don't care.)

La Dispute - Wildlife (Some say Jordan's lyrics are over the top, but this album blew me away from the first time I heard it.  It still gives me the feels.  I think it's a perfect album and the concept is executed flawlessly.)

Damien Rice - 9 (I'll need some sad bastard music (since Wildlife isn't depressing enough) from an excellent singer/songwriter, so I'm taking my favorite from Damien Rice)

*Exclusively nostalgic picks

Of the 2, you made the right choice.

Yeah, it's hard to go with anything other than White Pony.  But I love Diamond Eyes.  Depending on my mood, I sometimes rank that one ahead of White Pony.  I just love how raw it feels at times, yet there are some "tender" moments on there.  I think it's a solid mix of many of their different styles over the years.

Yeah, it's hard to go with anything other than White Pony.  But I love Diamond Eyes.  Depending on my mood, I sometimes rank that one ahead of White Pony.  I just love how raw it feels at times, yet there are some "tender" moments on there.  I think it's a solid mix of many of their different styles over the years.

i think the harder songs on Diamond Eyes are better, but the whole atmosphere and execution of White Pony is next level.