What are you Top 10 albums of all time?

Sad Heart

I went back and forth over which to go with. Both are solid and can't be wrong choices.

Kinda bummed I didn't put Refused -TSOPTC on my list. That's what I get for going of the top of my head and not bringing up itunes

I'll give you that, they are definitely both solid. But if I had to pick one it would be S/T. That album is such a fucking powerhouse, good god.

Go ahead and edit it, man. No worries. Take as much time as you need. It took me hours and hours to make mine. This list is definitely a thinker, one which most people oddly can't just riff off. It's interesting to reflect on your choices after you make the list.

I feel like I'll be pretty predictable, but the fact it's literally a "stranded" compilation makes for some new angles to consider. I hope people really think on that before rattling their top 10 of all time, or the 10 records they've been spinning the most frequently as of late.

I'm with you. It took me the whole of Dust & Disquiet and 3/4 of Waking Season to do mine. Plus a full can of coffee. I love sundays.

Hm, I always find this really hard. I feel like the albums I select don't necessarily have to include my favourite songs from the artist, but I have to love all of the songs on that album. Because of that there might be albums I listen to way more, but aren't as consistent throughout, so I won't include them. Ranked in order (I think).

AFI - Sing the Sorrow

The Naked and Famous - Passive Me, Aggressive You

Against Me! - White Crosses (yes, really)

The Ataris - So Long, Astoria

NOFX - The War on Errorism

No Use For A Name - More Betterness!

Less Than Jake - Anthem

Taking Back Sunday - Where You Want To Be

Luigi Belluzzo - Nor Way (though only a 4 track EP, these songs are some of the most heartfelt pieces of music ever)

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Take a Break

I feel like I'll be pretty predictable, but the fact it's literally a "stranded" compilation makes for some new angles to consider. I hope people really think on that before rattling their top 10 of all time, or the 10 records they've been spinning the most frequently as of late.

I want this to definitely be a thinker. If people can riff off their top 10 I truly doubt that can look back later and not make any changes. I'm really hoping this list won't be the #nowspinning list, like you said, or be my favorite albums lately. Some of my favorite albums came out this year*, and they are the majority of what I'm listening to, bit none would be on the "stranded" comp.

* New Bermuda, Dust And Disquiet, Peripheral Vision (would probably lead to suicide), and The Devil & The Almighty Blues.

I'm with you. It took me the whole of Dust & Disquiet and 3/4 of Waking Season to do mine. Plus a full can of coffee. I love sundays.

That's a damn good thinking playlist.

It took me a little longer:

Bob Dylan - Slow Train Coming

Caspian - Dust And Disquiet

Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley

Texas Is The Reason - Comp.

Counting Crows - This Desert Life

It was a long night. Haha.

Quick side note: How has there not been a thread for this? I know this is first and foremost a vinyl-related forum, but on vinyl there is music. And with music comes opinions. And with opinions come lists.

It's beyond me.

It's beyond me to. I'm trying to make more music related discussion on the boards.

I want this to definitely be a thinker. If people can riff off their top 10 I truly doubt that can look back later and not make any changes. I'm really hoping this list won't be the #nowspinning list, like you said, or be my favorite albums lately. Some of my favorite albums came out this year*, and they are the majority of what I'm listening to, bit none would be on the "stranded" comp.

* New Bermuda, Dust And Disquiet, Peripheral Vision (would probably lead to suicide), and The Devil & The Almighty Blues.

I had a hard time not including Sunbather. It's in my Top 30 though. It's one of those albums that's fairly new, but had a personal impact that changed a whole fucking lot. And I know this fucker is going to last. I'm gonna let the years pass by and watch it crawl its way up there..

Your choice of Abbey Road is odd to me. Out of their entire catalog, why that specific album? I've always found Rubber Soul to be bland and uninspired.

I love nearly all Beatles records the same (namely Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, White Album, Hard Day's Night, Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey Road) and I constantly change my mind on which record truly is the best. However, I realized that - if I had to pick just one - Rubber Soul is the one album that I will never, ever get tired of as well as the one that means the most to me. Because as much as I love the White Album or Abbey Road, I do get tired of some of the songs and especially the former - as fucking brilliant as it may be - has quite a few songs I personally don't really need.

Quick side note: How has there not been a thread for this? I know this is first and foremost a vinyl-related forum, but on vinyl there is music. And with music comes opinions. And with opinions come lists.

It's beyond me.

I'm sure something similar has been done.  I know we all had a lot of fun with the "favorite albums, A-Z" thread a while back.  But if a similar thread exists, it's been so long that I doubt anyone is going to dig up an ancient link just to make a point or shame Matt for duplicating a topic that'll spark conversation.  If they do, they can fuck right off.

* New Bermuda, Dust And Disquiet, Peripheral Vision

Hits way too close to home.  I'm still swooning over these, but it's way too early to gauge whether or not they'd stand the test of time on a remote island.

I had a hard time not including Sunbather. It's in my Top 30 though. It's one of those albums that's fairly new, but had a personal impact that changed a whole fucking lot. And I know this fucker is going to last. I'm gonna let the years pass by and watch it crawl its way up there..

I can feel you on that, but I actually have that feeling for New Bermuda. I think it is more layered, and shows how well they can incorporate a multitude of genres. They seamlessly layer in elements of black metal, ambient, shoe gaze, and other genres so flawlessly. Not only do they transition well, but the layering is so damn good. Don't even get me started on the mastering. The dynamic range on it is flawless. Listening to the 24bit | 96khz version was pure audible bliss. Each track followed the last so well. It almost felt as if it was one, long song, but wasn't tiring or overstretched. I was absolutely blown away. That album is easily in my top 3 of the year, and I can see it leaving it's mark on top 30 for years to come. 

Not necessarily in any specific order, but Failure definitely takes the top spot. I'll never get sick of these records.

Failure - Fantastic Planet (1996)

Elliott Smith - Figure 8 (2000)

Death Cab for Cutie - The Photo Album (2001)

Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995)

Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters (1995)

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (2000)

Nas - Illmatic (1994)

Ride - Going Blank Again (1992)

Shai Hulud - That Within Blood Ill-Tempered (2003)

Hits way too close to home.  I'm still swooning over these, but it's way too early to gauge whether or not they'd stand the test of time on a remote island.

Trust me, I know, man. And same here. I can't get enough. I think 2015 has been one of the best years in music in a long damn time. It'll be interesting to see if Dust overtakes Tertia for me at any point in time. It has the power...

Trust me, I know, man. And same here. I can't get enough. I think 2015 has been one of the best years in music in a long damn time. It'll be interesting to see if Dust overtakes Tertia for me at any point in time. It has the power...

Yeah, of those bunch, I think D&D has the potential to make a list like this.  Even though I [still] can't put New Bermuda down, there's something so wholesome and satisfying about Dust that makes me suspect it'll be cement itself pretty high into a lot of "classic" lists down the read.  Strong competition to Tertia, for sure.  It's why I still can't change my avatar.

I had my fair share of problems with New Bermuda during the first couple listens. Frankly, I didn't like it. I still can't quite put my finger on it, something was way off, but I still don't know if it actually had something to do with the album itself, or if I was out of my fucking mind because what the fuck New Bermuda is mind blowingly great and one of the very best albums of the year and I might one day see myself loving it more than Sunbather.

The Jealous Sound - Kill Them With Kindness

Homesick for Space - Unison

The Anniversary - Designing a Nervous Breakdown

...Trail of Dead - Worlds Apart

The Good Life - Album of the Year

Chris Walla - Field Manual

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights

Matt Pond PA - Emblems

Damien Jurado - Rehearsals for Departure

This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain

Jawbreaker - Dear You

Alkaline Trio- From Here To Infirmary

The Lawrence Arms - Apathy and Exhaustion

Against Me! - Searching For a Former Clarity

Riverboat Gamblers - To the Confusion of Our Enemies

Offspring - Smash

Dillinger 4 - Midwestern Songs of the Americas

Hot Rod Circuit - Sorry About Tomorrow

Marked Men - Fix My Brain

Fifth Hour Hero - Not Revenge Just a Vicious Crush

Yeah, of those bunch, I think D&D has the potential to make a list like this.  Even though I [still] can't put New Bermuda down, there's something so wholesome and satisfying about Dust that makes me suspect it'll be cement itself pretty high into a lot of "classic" lists down the read.  Strong competition to Tertia, for sure.  It's why I still can't change my avatar.

I absolutely agree with you on that. It's so accessible, and it was an instant hit for me. I remember tweeting my first initial thoughts of each track as I listened. The build up of that album is like nothing I have experienced. I think in time, it'll take over Tertia. There is just something so raw, so dark and so passionate. Knowing everything that went into making that album makes it that much better. After talking to the guys about what their thought process was, and how they went about building each song just cements it into my brain. "Classic" is definitely a strong word, but I can see it being one in time even though it's only been out a couple months if that.

This is such an impossible task to ask of someone nearly 40 and having been a music fan since a very early age thanks to musical relatives and some cool influences along the way towards the better parts of music's hemispheres. This is just what Matt asked for, if I was banished to an island for the rest of my days and they gave me these ten albums, I would never get tired of them.... No particular order, just tons of hours spent memorizing every nuance of the tracks contained within each album. 

Beastie Boys:  Licensed to Ill

Son Volt: Trace

Widespread Panic: S/T

The Cure: Seventeen Seconds

Ben Harper & Innocent Criminals: Fight for Your Mind

Hot Water Music: Fuel for the Hate Game

Bob Dylan: Highway 61 Revisited

The Grateful Dead: American Beauty

The Misfits: Twelve Hits from Hell (Original 1980 Cut)

Red House Painters: Old Ramon 

I think D&D has the potential to make a list like this.

Definitely. With each consecutive listen it manifests itself as a perfect album for this sort of list. It gives me all the feels I could asked for in (mostly) instrumental rock music and might actually become my definitive 'deserted island' post-rock album, because it's not just that, but so much more. I already worked myself through wording this more elegantly in the appropriate thread haha. I'm tired.

Not necessarily in any specific order, but Failure definitely takes the top spot. I'll never get sick of these records.

Failure - Fantastic Planet (1996)

Elliott Smith - Figure 8 (2000)

Death Cab for Cutie - The Photo Album (2001)

Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995)

Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters (1995)

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (2000)

Nas - Illmatic (1994)

Ride - Going Blank Again (1992)

Shai Hulud - That Within Blood Ill-Tempered (1993)

I can't tell you how fucking hard it was for me to choose between Foo's S/T and Colour. Like, holy fuck. That was painful. Also, I love you for having Foo, and Nirvana. Linkin Park threw me a bit. Haha.

This is such an impossible task to ask of someone nearly 40 and having been a music fan since a very early age thanks to musical relatives and some cool influences along the way towards the better parts of music's hemispheres. This is just what Matt asked for, if I was banished to an island for the rest of my days and they gave me these ten albums, I would never get tired of them.... No particular order, just tons of hours spent memorizing every nuance of the tracks contained within each album. 

Beastie Boys:  Licensed to Ill

Son Volt: Trace

Widespread Panic: S/T

The Cure: Seventeen Seconds

Ben Harper & Innocent Criminals: Fight for Your Mind

Hot Water Music: Fuel for the Hate Game

Bob Dylan: Highway 61 Revisited

The Grateful Dead: American Beauty

The Misfits: Twelve Hits from Hell (Original 1980 Cut)

Red House Painters: Old Ramon 

I was really excited to see yours because of your age. I love that it is pretty diverse too, having Dylan and Misfits on the same list is badass. If I had to live off one Dylan album it would be Slow Train Coming, even though there are so many other songs I would miss. And fuck yes Beastie Boys. I fucking love that, dude!