Fuzzy/Muffled Sound

I've done research for a while, and I can't find help on a topic. I just bought a copy of Thick As A Brick, and side 1 sounds awful. It's very muffled and fuzzy sounding. Side 2 of the same record plays extremely nicely as well as many other records sound fine. I've cleaned side 1 thoroughly, but it still sounds like complete s**t. Is there any way I could fix this problem?

I don't have one of those awful Crosley turntables. I have an Audio Technica AT-LP60. If you're just going to throw lame accusations, then either please contribute to the topic or get lost.

An LP60 isn't going to sound any better. It just probably won't ruin your records as quickly. I owned one for a while. It was garbage.

I don't have one of those awful Crosley turntables. I have an Audio Technica AT-LP60. If you're just going to throw lame accusations, then either please contribute to the topic or get lost.

In all fairness, asking that question without any information about what you're using isn't any help either.  If you're experiencing audio issues, you could at mention anything you're playing it on.  Did you buy the LP new or did you buy it used?  Could be someone ruined the A side, but never touched the B side.  Could be the A side is dirty as hell and needs a proper cleaning.

In all fairness, asking that question without any information about what you're using isn't any help either. If you're experiencing audio issues, you could at mention anything you're playing it on. Did you buy the LP new or did you buy it used? Could be someone ruined the A side, but never touched the B side. Could be the A side is dirty as hell and needs a proper cleaning.

If you really think it could be my equipment, it doesnt make since to me since all of my other records are playing beautifully except one side of one record. I'm using an Audio Technica AT-LP60 with a Yamaha R-S201 receiver. As I said above, Ive cleaned the record multiple times and it hasn't done any good. It's almost as if the stylusame isn't settling into the groove completely.

If you really think it could be my equipment, it doesnt make since to me since all of my other records are playing beautifully except one side of one record. I'm using an Audio Technica AT-LP60 with a Yamaha R-S201 receiver. As I said above, Ive cleaned the record multiple times and it hasn't done any good. It's almost as if the stylusame isn't settling into the groove completely.

if you're only having the problem with one side of one record, it would seem that there is something wrong with your record. If cleaning doesn't fix it, a new copy might sound better or there could be something wrong with a batch of the pressing. It happens.

If that don't clean it nothing will. It is the most effective record cleaning method bar none but not for the faint hearted or those with a case of the tremors.

if you're only having the problem with one side of one record, it would seem that there is something wrong with your record. If cleaning doesn't fix it, a new copy might sound better or there could be something wrong with a batch of the pressing. It happens.

This is more likely to be the problem though

An LP60 isn't going to sound any better. It just probably won't ruin your records as quickly. I owned one for a while. It was garbage.

Unfortunately this is also true but it won't make side A sound bad and side B sound ok so it won't be your issue here.

I heard that Kanye wanted to use a sample from that album but Ian Anderson wouldn't give him clearance. So Kanye hired a bruja who put a curse on the album. Consequently all copies existing in the world will never play correctly again. Mine used to sound great. Love dat rock flute! But it now also sounds muffled and fuzzy. Damn shame. Lesson is don't fuck wid Kanye or las brujas. Word.

I got it because it was rated as the best one for a beginner. I plan on getting a different one for Christmas. I would prefer to buy one used and get it a new cartridge. Do you have suggestions for a good one?

I got it because it was rated as the best one for a beginner. I plan on getting a different one for Christmas. I would prefer to buy one used and get it a new cartridge. Do you have suggestions for a good one?

allenh will be able to answer that, But honestly, just go to the "Beginners" thread under turntables and it will answer all your questions. If you still have any, ask them there.