PO: Rob Crow (of Pinback) - You're Doomed. Be Nice.

http://shop.temporaryresidence.com/trr264

Available on black and limited orange w/ deep purple splatter /200.

"You're Doomed. Be Nice. is Rob Crow's first album since his heavily- publicized withdrawal from music – specifically the toxic byproducts of the lifestyle of a touring professional musician attempting to survive in an industry of diminishing returns. Rather than perform, record, and mix every note himself – a trademark of his previous solo endeavors – Crow formed Gloomy Place, a band made up of close friends that includes another member of the beloved Heavy Vegetable. Recorded and mixed by Ben Moore (Hot Snakes), You're Doomed presents a fascinating dichotomy: dynamic, eclectic prog-pop backing alarmingly confessional, often acerbic lyrical themes. This juxtaposition makes for an album of confrontational yet accessible songs filled with wry wit and emotional depth. You're Doomed. Be Nice. is the diamond carved out of a particularly rough chunk of Rob Crow's life – one that's either the first gem of an inspired second act, or the culmination of an undeniably influential career. In either case, the quality of its cut will last a lifetime."

sQtihDO.jpg

What are people's opinions of the single? For the first time ever with anything Rob or Zach has put out, I'm not a tremendous fan of it right away. That 3-note repetitive bass line and layered vocals kind of got on my nerves after a couple minutes.

It reminds me of Modest Mouse's latest album.  Still, I bought.  I have zero Rob Crow on vinyl.  I have to say, I have only tested the waters with Pinback, only really listened to Summer in Abaddon.  I remember loving Thingy's "To The Innocent", listening a zillion times back in the day.  He is one of the dudes that I associate as being "one" with music.  He gets it and he keeps it interesting. (61 remaining out of 200)

Wow, excellent news! I found out earlier today that he was touring under this band name, and added the show to my calendar. I was surprised since he had called it quits, and certainly didn't expect a new release along with it. 

I don't love the new song, particularly the repetitive "woah oh woah oh oh oh oh" vocals, for some reason they seem a little bit pop-emo to me. But I'm a huge Rob and Pinback fan so I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on this. If nothing else, to support his contributions to music thus far.

I wish I could like this post but for some reason there's no like option.

I wish I could like this post but for some reason there's no like option.

It's because he operates as a personal facebook page, not a musician page or whatever. You'd have to add him as a friend haha. But he's got 3000 friends so it looks like maybe he just adds everyone?

Update- yep, he added me.

Long time fan so glad to hear he's doing well. Not a fan of this track though. Sadly, I feel he peaked some time ago, rising with Pinback and then peaking with Zach Hill / The Ladies.

man I could not get into The Ladies. I am not a Zach Hill fan really and found his spazzy drumming and Crow's somber pop guitar to not really go together. That was almost ten years ago too. Imo there's been some of his greatest work since then

man I could not get into The Ladies. I am not a Zach Hill fan really and found his spazzy drumming and Crow's somber pop guitar to not really go together. That was almost ten years ago too. Imo there's been some of his greatest work since then

The Ladies are okay, but not my fav. by far. 

I also agree - both his solo albums are fantastic.  Not to mention the newer Pinback albums.  Dude's still on his game.

Yes, in general I've noticed what you say regarding people's enjoyment of The Ladies:

Rob Crow fans find it too crazy and spastic.

Zach Hill fans find it to be easy listening.