PO: David Bowie - Blackstar - Jan. 8, 2016

gmoney

Groupon record packing is bubble mailer so expect corner dings (at least in my case).

I'm glad I paid an extra $5 to receive it from a company that knows how to ship vinyl.

In 2015 there are no excuses to be uninformed about proper LP packaging. It signals that a company opted for the cheap shipping option as opposed to the safe one. I usually return anything that shows up in a bubble mailer or thin cardboard sleeve because of damages.

Anyone heard anything from Groupon? My shop just got my black copy in so I'm wondering if I should just go grab it....or wait for Groupon. Decisions, decisions.

I'd grab it locally and just return it which is what I plan on doing when it actually arrives. If it arrives in good shape then I'm just going to sell it for cost if anyone needs one by then.

Got a shipping delay from BN this morning (not shocked) for my clear copy. Said it should ship within 1-5 business days and now the expected delivery date is the 26th. For shits and giggles I tried the pick up in store option and a store near me gave the option to reserve. I also tried Milwaukee and two stores gave the option to reserve. Maybe they're popping back up in stores. Either way, I'll let you guys know if/when I hear back from the stores. 

Got a shipping delay from BN this morning (not shocked) for my clear copy. Said it should ship within 1-5 business days and now the expected delivery date is the 26th. For shits and giggles I tried the pick up in store option and a store near me gave the option to reserve. I also tried Milwaukee and two stores gave the option to reserve. Maybe they're popping back up in stores. Either way, I'll let you guys know if/when I hear back from the stores. 

I've tried that everyday, and I always get the text back saying it is not available and it goes out of stock but shows back in stock the next day.

I found a clear at a Barnes and Noble an hour away.  Still need to call and confirm it's actually clear before driving that far, but assuming it is, I'll be making the drive this evening.  Hopefully others can find random clears popping up at stores soon.

The "Find In Store" option has found me a clear in stock on three separate occasions. And every time I've called the actual store they've told me that there's none in stock and that there hasn't been since their first shipment. Odd glitches.

The "Find In Store" option has found me a clear in stock on three separate occasions. And every time I've called the actual store they've told me that there's none in stock and that there hasn't been since their first shipment. Odd glitches.

Yeah, their website is terrible. Every morning it says they have a copy in stock and lets me reserve it, then I get the text saying they can't find it at the store and it goes out of stock. Next morning it is back, and the cycle repeats.

For anyone that's fine with importing this, there's a UK seller called Zoverstocks on Amazon (US site) selling the black version for $25.98 plus $3.99 shipping. It's going in and out of stock but I did manage to place an order last night since I've been unlucky with catching it in stock elsewhere. Hopefully it ships.

Wow, great deal.  It is up now by this seller, 23 available. 

Yesterday, I was browsing the small record section at the video rental store on my street and noticed they were selling The Next Day 2LP for $43.99.  In a way, it felt even more tasteless and exploitative to mark up an easily available record like that than to mark up an out of print or limited release.  A buyer would have to be very uninformed in order to pay $44 for that record, so it felt like they were directly making money off the customer's ignorance.

They also had a used copy of REM's Reckoning on their wall for $40 ("original 1984 US pressing") which was identical to the copy I bought for $10 on Discogs a week or two ago.  If they ever got a copy of New Adventures in Hi-Fi in, they might just price it at $450.

There is no guarantee that the repress is exactly the same, anything is possible - the worst one is probably that its given to GZ and some inhouse engineer cuts this from the CD.

I still dont get how they can repress this so quickly.

Pretty sure my black copy was pressed at MPO - it's flawless and I would hope for others that they would continue to use MPO. LIkely they will go with whoever has capacity for what the label wants to press.

edit: not RTI - it was MPO.