PO: David Bowie - Blackstar - Jan. 8, 2016

gmoney

There are apparently 3 differences between the 1st and the 2nd pressing of the black vinyl version. I got this info from Discogs, I only own the 1st press, so I couldn't check both. 

1. The 1st pressing is about 40g heavier. 

2. The 1st pressing has 2015, while the 2nd press has 2016 printed on the back cover

3. The 1st pressing has the words "33311 Gütersloh" in Sony Music's address printed at the end of second line, while on the 2nd pressing they are printed at the beginning of third line on the back cover. 

I'll take the hit for posting this.....

These ARE NOT variants to be worried about!  Everybody has a collector mentality and its dumb...

Since the beginning albums have had to be repressed due to demand, and/or just the sheer amount they pressed had to be done in waves.

Look at any other Bowie album though out his career...granted some may be better quality than others when you take into account the questionable 'remasters' they push out now, or old budget line presses... but are people really so concerned whether their copy of Hunky Dory  came out in March of '71 or five months later in August of '71 or February of '72?  No, because they are virtually indistinguishable save maybe some 'number' somewhere on it. 

Just like Blackstar now, if you give a fuck whether you're copy was printed 7 months ago, or 3 weeks ago with differences you'd have to search over the entire release with a magnifying glass and use scale to find. You suck. 

This album will be in print for some time now, which is good... that matters, not a couple numbers on the cover or record label!

These ARE NOT variants to be worried about!  Everybody has a collector mentality and its dumb...

Some people are collectors, some people are fans, others are just occasional listeners and buyers. Not everyone is a collector, but as far as I know, this is a collector's forum (hence - Vinyl COLLECTIVE). You should go to a fan forum and talk to people who don't care about these things.

What makes the first press 40g heavier, the sleeve?

140g is generally the standard weight for vinyl pressings, so it might be standard instead of 180g this time around. Hopefully the US gets the represses soon.

I'll take the hit for posting this.....

These ARE NOT variants to be worried about! Everybody has a collector mentality and its dumb...

Since the beginning albums have had to be repressed due to demand, and/or just the sheer amount they pressed had to be done in waves.

Look at any other Bowie album though out his career...granted some may be better quality than others when you take into account the questionable 'remasters' they push out now, or old budget line presses... but are people really so concerned whether their copy of Hunky Dory came out in March of '71 or five months later in August of '71 or February of '72? No, because they are virtually indistinguishable save maybe some 'number' somewhere on it.

Just like Blackstar now, if you give a fuck whether you're copy was printed 7 months ago, or 3 weeks ago with differences you'd have to search over the entire release with a magnifying glass and use scale to find. You suck.

This album will be in print for some time now, which is good... that matters, not a couple numbers on the cover or record label!

Yeah, why would a collector want the first press.

Who cares, right?

Take your BS elsewhere