Husband&wife - Live at the Bishop, April 20, 2013 2xLP+Film

tlr

XRA-050.jpg

husband&wife – Live At The Bishop, April 20, 2013 – 2xLP + Concert Film + MP3

April 20, 2013 was the very last time that husband&wife ever played a live show, or ever did anything at all. And like every XRAfest or XRA album release show before it, in that moment, it felt like it really, truly mattered. The show was a massive, emotional, celebration of a band that had made it work well for more than a decade. At least seven official members, innumerable contributors, four full-length albums, two 7″ singles, scattered EPs and collections of demos and live material, tour dates, my god, so many tour dates…all of that building excitement, hopeful experimentation, and rallying support came crashing together into one final singularity on that night at The Bishop.

Now, as a tribute to the band that created and sustained XRA Records for it’s entire life cycle, and as a final nail in the coffin of this collapsing, wheezing, enterprise, we’re offering the official document of that magical night on 2 LPs, mp3s, and a concert film!

With a track list that spans from husband&wife’s very fist demo release to it’s final 7″ single and everything in between, this warts-and-all live recording and concert film captures the DIY, never-say-die, quitters-never-win spirit that fueled everything the band did all the way up until they quit, and the band died. Applause, cat-calls, guest musicians, surprising musical twists and turns, tears, and cheers pepper this collection with true, palpable excitement and bittersweet remembrances of the anecdotally nicknamed, “World’s Nicest Band”. Were you there? Will you return to the well with us one last time?

(PS – we’re selling this sucker CHEAP just as a way to say thanks and to clear the shelves off a bit. Limited to 300 copies)
((PPS – This is a preorder, but the LPS will ship just as soon as they arrive. They’re at the plant being pressed as we speak))

2xLP Tracklist:
Side A:
Battlecab Dramatica
Begone Long One
Florida Hideaway
Red Cross Fever
Support Yourself
Not Every Bird Can Fly

Side B:
Nice Pipes
Haven’t Got A Friend
Supersize Me
I Got Fat
England Lives
Cross-Fingered Handshake

Side C:
Heroic Symphony
Don’t Change
6 Little Indians
I’ll Avenue Body, Graceland Lord, I’ll Avenue Life
Don’t Rush

Side D:
You Remain Unloved
The Build
Class War
I’ll Wait
Proud Flesh

(digital download includes bonus tracks “Thanks For Understanding”, “Low Profile” and “Mulberry Squeezins”)

/300 for 16ppd, not bad. not sure if the film is just the avi files or dvd.

http://www.xrarecords.com/catalog/live-at-the-bishop-april-20-2013/

Bands like Husband and Wife make me proud to be from Indiana. I don't think Mike Adams has done anything that I don't like. For those of you that are fans of Mike Adams, check out Prayer Breakfast. They're fantastic as well.

You grabbed the new Mike Adams/Starflyer 59 split yet?

Bands like Husband and Wife make me proud to be from Indiana. I don't think Mike Adams has done anything that I don't like. For those of you that are fans of Mike Adams, check out Prayer Breakfast. They're fantastic as well.

Prayer Breakfast is so rad.  Only ever found the tape they put out; would love to have one of the few copies of the ep they pressed on vinyl.

I was at the last H&W show.  For those that followed this band, that show was such a celebration of everything they'd done and everything they'd meant to us.

Such a fitting last release from XRA.

Prayer Breakfast is so rad. Only ever found the tape of that release; would love to have one of the few copies they pressed on vinyl.

I was at the last H&W show. For those that followed this band, that show was such a celebration of everything they'd done and everything they'd meant to us.

Such a fitting last release from XRA.

That sounds amazing! I wish I'd been there. They truly were a great band. I have one of the limited black covered vinyl of Prayer Breakfast. I'm not sure how many were made. It's one of the super rare records I own.

• 1 month later...

I had never heard of this band until seeing this thread randomly go by, but by doing so found out that Mike Adams is in it. His Best of Boiler Room Classics was one of my favourites of '14 (and I basically stumbled upon it by accident), so I'm super excited to find out that there is a ton of his work to be discovered. So far I've listened to Deep Dark Woods (which is incredible!) and Proud Flesh (really good - but I like DDW better). I'll probably end up getting this, especially for a price like that...

Guess I need to check out Prayer Breakfast given the discussion here...

I wish they would press the old H&W stuff. I can't remember the album title because I lost the CD years ago, but the first couple albums they did after the switch from Handbook For William are fucking amazing.

Their first record is called "husband&wife" and the second "Operation:Surgery." I think they havent been pressed because theyre 12 and 10 years old now, and the mixing isnt exactly the best for vinyl, especially on O:S.

That being said, its definitely the fan favorite. The songs from that album played at this show got wild applause, and were always requested. So maybe if this sells well they would look into doing an Operation:Surgery remix/remaster and a press finally. If you remember the dark dark woods one took a while to get out..

I wish they would press the old H&W stuff. I can't remember the album title because I lost the CD years ago, but the first couple albums they did after the switch from Handbook For William are fucking amazing.

"Operation; Surgery" is one of my all time faves.

Most of the XRA releases were solid. I grew up with/listening to this record label, and this is such a fitting final release.

It's so crazy that so many people know about h&w/Mike Adams because I live twenty minutes from the house where I saw them play a million shows. When I was like eighteen, I got shitfaced at a h&w show/kegger at that house, and it was a damn good time. Hell, even one of my tattooers played trumpet for them a few times.

Sorry for the rant. It's just insane to me that all you guys know about this band that I've considering a hidden gem for a decade.

Yep, I put the song, the direction we never went, on my wife's first mixtape I made her lol.

And back when they did a kickstarter, I have two songs that they did acoustic for me, battlecab dramatica and the direction we never went. If anyone wants them send me a pm. I know some other members on here got some songs as well but I lost them in a hard drive crash.