BossToneS vs. Asbestos Records Reissues?

jhulud

Gotta agree. Bands need to suck it up and accept that Flood/Silly Ross/Struedel/Catnip and all the new repress label owners are going to release their music on vinyl with or without their blessing. You think Adam Levine or Doig Finny were OK with their music being released without their involvement? No. But none of us complained because Silly Ross happens to be our friend here. That's why we have to stop, take some time to think, and figure out what's important to us before we automatically take the MMB's side. It's called capitalism and Flood and co. are just running a business.

Sounds like we gotta make a serious decision.

when other people do this, its not cool. when this guy does, it is. got it. glad that got all cleared up. thanks everyone. 

I'm not saying it is or isn't. I prefer to hear the entire story and understand when he heard the band wanted to do it themselves. If it was at the plant as described in that tweet then this isn't unreasonable. (I do take exception to changing the artwork - I respect Flood but I recently had a broadcaster attempt to change the opening title of a film I did and it was tooth and nail fighting what they thought was a minor change but we saw as a change that tainted the first impression of the film).

From what I understand (or the impression that I get is) Abestos reissued some of their albums before being asked not to press this one. It's very reasonable to assume it was already at the plant and he'd put money into it. A band's wishes for their music is important, but if homie had a few grand in already I can't really fault him.

Dude doesnt really need to defend anything if he owns the rights to music/release. They were sold to him. People whining after the fact about what you do with something you sold to someone is insane

I don't think he owns the rights to anything, he licensed it along with the other major label stuff asbestos has put out.

I don't publicize this much but I own the current license to the unreleased Circa Survive/My Chemical Romance split EP from 2009. Right now I have no plans to let it be released as I like having it just to myself to listen to and this has upset both bands. Some might say that I should honor their wishes to let the EP of excellent songs be released but I paid for the exclusive license so I can do whatever I want. As my uncle, Earthquake of Ricin Records, always says, "He who owns the means of distribution, owns all." Don't cave in to the demands of the proletariat, Flood.

I'm not saying it is or isn't. I prefer to hear the entire story and understand when he heard the band wanted to do it themselves. If it was at the plant as described in that tweet then this isn't unreasonable. (I do take exception to changing the artwork - I respect Flood but I recently had a broadcaster attempt to change the opening title of a film I did and it was tooth and nail fighting what they thought was a minor change but we saw as a change that tainted the first impression of the film).

To be clear, this wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I don't even care that he's still releasing the record. No skin off my back. I do think it's funny how people normally flip their shit when certain people operate this way but not others. If this was ETR, it would be a goddamned witchhunt. And I agree.... Changing the art is lame but changing the art is almost always lame.

To be clear, this wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I don't even care that he's still releasing the record. No skin off my back. I do think it's funny how people normally flip their shit when certain people operate this way but not others. If this was ETR, it would be a goddamned witchhunt. And I agree.... Changing the art is lame but changing the art is almost always lame.

The artwork wasn't even changed that much. The background color is a much brighter green then the original version was. The only legitimate gripe I have is over the insane amount of spelling mistakes made in the liner notes. That's just laziness and if I'm paying $35 for an album I expect the quality to reflect the price.

First, Flood owes no one any explanation. If he wants the final word to be the Bosstones so be it. 

As to the insinuations that there is a parallel to Ross - let's remember that long before Asbestos got into the reissue game it was grinding and continuing to grind out releases for bands that were only developing a following. ETR was told from go by band after band that they didn't approve of what he was doing. This is the first I've heard of anything similar with Asbestos. 

I'm not saying it is or isn't. I prefer to hear the entire story and understand when he heard the band wanted to do it themselves. If it was at the plant as described in that tweet then this isn't unreasonable. 

Question the Answers was announced sometime prior to Record Store Day 2015, which is when Joe Gittleman asked (maybe not the best word) Flood to stop reissuing their albums on vinyl. The announcement that Live from the Middle East was being released on Black Friday Record Store Day 2015 was in late October, right? So I guess the question would be - was the licensing and ordering to press process for Live from the Middle East already in the works before the spring Record Store Day?