BossToneS vs. Asbestos Records Reissues?

jhulud

I think the reason there's so much hypocrisy in this thread is because lolBossToneS those guys suck and deserve to be dicked. I'm sure if this was a different band there would be a different general opinion in here. Also if it were Ross any band would get that sympathy.That being said, Flood is a good dude I think there is something being twisted somewhere in this situation.

I think the reason there's so much hypocrisy in this thread is because lolBossToneS those guys suck and deserve to be dicked. I'm sure if this was a different band there would be a different general opinion in here. Also if it were Ross any band would get that sympathy.That being said, Flood is a good dude I think there is something being twisted somewhere in this situation.

I think this is simply a good example of a situation where things aren't so black and white, but rather a very murky gray.

Because he licensed the rights to the album and did nothing wrong? Don't associate with record labels or sign shitty contracts if you want full control of your art.

This fucking argument... In 1993 when they signed that contract this game of reissue labels wasn't a thing. In fact, the worry you had with a major in this respect was the opposite: that they would shelve the record and never let it go! i think I said this in the against me thread, but not every band has the means or want to release their own record. To want to make music and not run a record label shouldn't be a finger point of the blame or negate a band's grievances. Whether perfectly legally or not, it's not unreasonable for a band to expect some respect from those handling their material.

No one is questioning the band has a right to a grievance, the question is whether or not it is legitimate. I've had to sign my work away 99% of the time and I've had the privilege of having it shelved. It sucks. I'd kill at this point for a couple of our films to be sub-licensed out to be seen again. Creative contracts are rough - you need financing to make your art for a broad venue in most instances and that means compromises are made. There is a common piece of language in these contracts about holding rights for all media now known or unknown - it means that regardless of the changes to distribution methods or shifts in trends that the funder holds the rights and you need to be prepared to accept those shifts. It is a soul-less clause that in essence creates permanence. I still sign 99% of the time if it means I get to create the film and in the manner I want. 

Anyway, I stand by the notion that Flood owes no one an explanation. He legally licensed the record. If he wants to leave the final word being that of the Bosstones so be it. The perception he screwed them in some way will be what's left behind and the band will get what they wanted in the first place. To my first paragraph there is one thing that is never compromised in my agreements: No changes to a locked picture can be made without our approval. Not sure why that artwork was changed but I fully sympathize with MMB on that. 

Against Me! chose to sign that major label contract, as did the Bosstones. Yeah it sucks they signed bad contracts and don't have rights to their own music, but it's the price you pay for increased exposure. Honestly like 2-3k records sold not being beneficial to the band, does that really outweigh the exposure and thousands of CDs sold or are they just mad they are hard up for money and spent that major label money already? I dunno I don't think Flood is in the wrong here I'm sure he had money invested

Against Me! chose to sign that major label contract, as did the Bosstones. Yeah it sucks they signed bad contracts and don't have rights to their own music, but it's the price you pay for increased exposure. Honestly like 2-3k records sold not being beneficial to the band, does that really outweigh the exposure and thousands of CDs sold or are they just mad they are hard up for money and spent that major label money already? I dunno I don't think Flood is in the wrong here I'm sure he had money invested

You're talking about a band that hasn't been on a major label since 2001 and only plays a dozen shows a year because all the members have careers outside of being the Bosstones. They don't care about exposure at this point or how many albums are sold. If they needed money, they would be touring half the year. It's also ironic that the dude who runs a ska label (which there are like 5) would have a problem with arguably the biggest ska band in the world. 

You're talking about a band that hasn't been on a major label since 2001 and only plays a dozen shows a year because all the members have careers outside of being the Bosstones. They don't care about exposure at this point or how many albums are sold. If they needed money, they would be touring half the year. It's also ironic that the dude who runs a ska label (which there are like 5) would have a problem with arguably the biggest ska band in the world. 

then why throw a shit fit if it's not about money?

Coughlin's Laws of Vinyl Collective

"Anything else is always something better."

"Think of the customer as a hurdler thinks of a hurdle: a means to an end. We dazzle him with ice work, we baffle him with bottle work."

"There are many ways to fool a customer. The short pour. The long pour. The ice mountain, the spring thaw. The speed-rack shuffle, the hot shot."

"Beer is for breakfast around here, drink or be gone."

"A bartender is the aristocrat of the working class."

"A man will always be judged on the amount of alcohol he can consume. And a woman will be impressed, whether she likes it or not."

"Never show surprise, never lose your cool."

"There are two kinds of people in this world, the workers and the hustlers. The hustlers never work and the workers never hustle."

"The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got."

"Bury the dead, they stink up the joint."

They sound like the bitter ex who has to get the last word in

They really sound nothing like that. I can't imagine what the reaction would be if Flood or another similar label licensed...Brand New's Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me. And the label changed the artwork and misspelled a bunch of shit, not one or two things but eight or nine. And you paid a lot of money for it, only to find our Brand New didn't want the thing released. This thread would be a completely different vibe.

They really sound nothing like that. I can't imagine what the reaction would be if Flood or another similar label licensed...Brand New's Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me. And the label changed the artwork and misspelled a bunch of shit, not one or two things but eight or nine. And you paid a lot of money for it, only to find our Brand New didn't want the thing released. This thread would be a completely different vibe.

Horrible comparison. You see the bosstones did want it released just by them so they can take all the cash instead of living up to a contract they signed.