Visiting Chicago

Thinking of visiting Chicago in February to see Caspian, O'brother and Defeater. I missed the last Caspian tour and figure I can make a winter trip. Anyone have recommendations on what to do and what to see while there? I guess i'll be renting a car and driving to Dekalb, Illinois to see the show.

Jonathan

Lou malnaties (or however it's spelled)

More like Lou malilluminati.

Ginos East is the pie you need in your life. The Superior Street location specifically.

Obviously, Reckless Records is worth the stop if you've got the time.

If you're into museums and shit Field Museum and the Art Institute are both a good time.

I guess I don't really have like many other "general" recommendations.

What are you into?

lived in dekalb for 3-4 years, it's a horrible place. one of my favorite record stores in Chicago, saki is just a couple blocks from my place. so is parts & labor, a great little burger joint. if you feel like waiting around for nearly an hour for a burger, kuma's is crucial.

Go to the show in dekalb and then come back to Chicago that night. Don't waste your time staying there.

Once you figure out where you are staying I can provide more options.

There are a ton of bars, restaurants, music venues, and record stores to keep you busy in your free time. If you want to be touristy that is also fine and there is plenty of stuff to get that fix too.

Yeah I don't think I'll stay in Dekalb. Should I take a train there or rent a car? I'll do some touristy stuff but rather see some local stuff. Really into beer, music and art.

I don't think the train goes all the way there, it stops like the town before if i remember correctly. Anyone else know?

I don't think the train goes all the way there, it stops like the town before if i remember correctly. Anyone else know?

Yeah, the Metra UPW line stops in Elburn I think it is -- which is about 15-20 minutes east of Dekalb. 

Depending on where you're staying though, having a rental car may be a pain -- or not if you don't mind additional expenses. Most of the hotels downtown have absurd rates for parking a car overnight.