PO: Tycho - Awake Remixes

http://shop.iso50.com/products/awake-remixes?utm_source=ISO50+%2F+Tycho+Newsletter&utm_campaign=58958d7a19-Elsewhere_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1fdf22fa8a-58958d7a19-202782825&mc_cid=58958d7a19&mc_eid=0f88170acb

Release Date: May 20, 2016

About the album:

Awake represented a high-water mark for Scott Hansen, the San Francisco musician better known as Tycho. Described by Hansen as, “in many ways, the first True Tycho record,” Awake announced the arrival of Tycho as a full band, and it found Hansen streamlining the group’s sound, focusing on the drums and aiming to capture the energy and power of the group’s live set. The story of Awake arrives at its natural conclusion with this 12” of remixes, on which Hansen’s songs are re-interpreted by producers who make the songs their own while retaining all of their core elements. The digital release is out January 15th on Ghostly International, with the physical release set for a May 20th release.

Baio, who splits his time between solo work and his role as bassist in Vampire Weekend, gives “Plains” a kind of soulfulness, adding a driving rhythm to the original’s beatless ambience and dropping in snatches of vocal for texture and warmth. RJD2 takes the swift-kicking “Apogee” and transforms it into tranquil instrumental funk; In the hands of Few Nolder,“Montana” becomes tense and driving, four-on-the-floor beat undergirding bright, rippling synths.

Additional remixes from Com Truise, Christopher Willits, Bibio and Beacon, which had been previously released, have been added to this package. Taken together, the Awake Remixes offer a parallel narrative for Tycho’s artistic breakthrough.

Specifications: 33RPM, Limited Edition Blue Vinyl

TRACKLIST:
A1. Awake (Com Truise Remix)
A2. Montana (Christopher Willits Remix)
A3. L (Dusty Brown Remix)
A4. Dye (Nitemoves Remix)

B1. See (Beacon Remix)
B2. Apogee (RJD2 Remix)
B3. Spectre (Bibio Remix)
B4. Plains (Baio Remix)
B5. Montana (Few Nolder Remix)

feels weird paying more for the remix album than the original ghostly release. also agree that the 6 month preorder is insane.

Could the price difference be a result of so many remixers/producers involved? I've always wondered if these remixers are paid a one-time fee, or if they receive royalties for each unit sold. I'm sure it could be one or the other, or a bit of both.

Could the price difference be a result of so many remixers/producers involved? I've always wondered if these remixers are paid a one-time fee, or if they receive royalties for each unit sold. I'm sure it could be one or the other, or a bit of both.

bunch of remixes don't even ask original band's permission - if the band likes it, it could stay, but if it sucks the band could push to get it removed from websites and other services as a copyright violation. others are friends, label mates, and acquaintances of the band that get to play around with their track and they publish the good ones. some are purposeful collaborations to yield revenue. 

if tycho specifically requested an artist to remix one of their tracks, then i'm pretty sure some type of royalty / song credit agreement is in place. this might also be self-funded, as i don't see any label affiliation which could explain the price and preorder window.

Tycho is one of my all time favorites, this is a must buy. But for 24PPD?

It says "limited blue vinyl" - Do you think this one will go to stores? 

limited beige version of awake was 2,000 copies. so if the remix album is anything like that, i think it could hit stores. <500 copies would be a different story. i don't see this remix release having the same scale of appeal as the actual album.

• 2 months later...

So, I got my record this week but when it gets near the end of "Plains" the record skips/keeps playing the same line. Is anyone else having the same issue? Does anyone know if this is something I can remedy or if I should contact the shop?

Maybe it's the remix?

All kidding aside, I'd email the people you bought it from.

So, I got my record this week but when it gets near the end of "Plains" the record skips/keeps playing the same line. Is anyone else having the same issue? Does anyone know if this is something I can remedy or if I should contact the shop?

Mine showed up with nasty scratches from the end of A1 until about a minute of A2.  I emailed ISO50 last night and haven't heard back yet.  Hoping it'll be an easy replacement.

Maybe it's the remix?

All kidding aside, I'd email the people you bought it from.

Haha lol. Yeah, I just sent them a message. Hoping they will be helpful.

Mine showed up with nasty scratches from the end of A1 until about a minute of A2.  I emailed ISO50 last night and haven't heard back yet.  Hoping it'll be an easy replacement.

Ugh, same here. My copy had scratches on it too, nothing too bad but still. I mean, I'm not too terribly frustrated with this as the last 2 tracks aren't my favorite, but still, not being able to play a record straight through is going to drive me nuts.