What's your system/deck?

^Well... Depends on the player I guess, but from my experience all my decks have sounded good, in playback. Also, what kind of amplification you have is of importance. If the player has an built in amp and speakers, it might not sound as good as Another deck with stand alone amp and speakers.

For recording, though, the player definitely matters. I'd love a Nakamichi, my friend has one and he made a mixtape for me that sounded so good!

I've got a few players, but the one that I've got connected is a Technics one (model number escapes me) with 3 heads. It's a bit old and some functions are a bit off, but it works great for my purposes. I've got an Akai where the recording doesn't work, a JVC, another technics anda Luxman that I use as a night light right now. Scavaging decks in flea markets is somewhat of a hobby.

some shitty sony cd/cassette player that is probably from 2000.  does it really matter what is playing your tapes?  (i dont know)

Until you can afford/find a nice deck a semi-decent deck cleaned and maintained can sound great. But of course there's going to be better quality (especially over time) in better brands (the ones mentioned already on here are the best I personally know of) Would at least recommend trying to find a dedicated deck instead of one of those late 90s/early2000's combo stereos just because those things aren't even good for CDs 

I have had several random thrift store cassette decks over the years, but am currently using a Tascam 102.

There was a very noticeable difference when I upgraded from my early 90's JVC deck to this one. This thing plays tapes more clearly than any other deck I have owned.

not my picture...

242610220-1455072-700_700.jpg

I have a Technics RS-T10. The left side makes a click when playing tapes. It's suppose to be able to dub, but for some reason it doesn't. After the first enough run through I haven't really touched much of it besides just playing tapes regularly.

I have a Technics SA-110. It's pretty old, but only had 1 previous owner. Anyway, it clicks too. Does anyone know what that's about?

I have a Technics SA-110. It's pretty old, but only had 1 previous owner. Anyway, it clicks too. Does anyone know what that's about?

When mine started making the click, I tore it open. There's a little piece of plastic that goes up and down as the gears spin. Mine does it because it snap backs down right after. It's just hard enough of a snap to make the clicking noise. I don't know why since the other side is silent when it does it. If you take yours apart, the little piece should be right behind the main turning mechanics in the front.