Brian Fallon - Painkillers (March 11th)

I really want to like this.  Musically, it's really solid, it has a great Americana vibe with great production that doesn't seem overdone or forced; however, the lyrics are incredibly cliched, tell stories without closure and don't seem to flow with the overall melody or tone of each song.  Again, I really want to like this, a lot, and I'm hoping giving it a listen from beginning to end will sway this opinion; but so far, I'm definitely not sold. 

The album is absolutely fantastic. "Mojo Hand" is the only track that I might need some time getting into. Seeing him tomorrow in Boston. Really stoked.

Mojo Hand is really the one misstep that stands out the most to me. It sounds like an old nursery school song that I can't remember the name of right now. Wasn't a huge fan of Wonderful Life either, it took a long time to grow on me but it reminds me of Tom Petty which is ok in my book. Painkillers, Smoke, Nobody Wins, and Red Lights are standout tracks in my opinion.   

• 2 weeks later...

This album does not blow. It's exactly what I expected an Island Records/Brian Fallon solo release to be.

If anyone goes into this expecting The Horrible Crowes or Gaslight they're making a mistake. In general, this is a really good album by a very talented singer/songwriter.

I didn't walk into this expecting GA or THC. I guessed it would be different, considering he went solo for this project, but it didn't work me. Still went to the San Diego show, hoping it'd be fun, but it was a bit awkward. It was so fucking loud in the venue! I felt like it was a war between the band and people talking through the whole set. Didn't feel the stage presence from those guys like last time. I should have gone to the show at the troubadour last month. Oh well. 

This album reminded me of the last GA album. Really easy to digest. Nothing new or exciting, but I'll stick around to see what he comes up with next. I never gave Molly & The Zombies a listen, and I believe the reworked versions of their songs were the decent ones on the album. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Guess I never consider live shows and albums to be interchangeable. To me that's like saying a book is bad because the movie adaptation didn't impress you.

Regardless, this album is well produced, the songs are catchy, and unlike Get Hurt (which I very much disliked) it's pretty 'bare-bones' as far as instruments and effects go. It would have been weird as hell if he didn't anything else. Brian Fallon isn't David Bowie. If anything he's diet Bruce Springsteen, and it's cool as hell.

It just sounds like he used this solo project as an opportunity to write more catchy, uplifting songs after the introspective-ness of Get Hurt. Lyrically, Get Hurt just sounds like he wasn't having fun with playing "in a band." These songs would have never worked as a Gaslight album especially after Get Hurt.

I also noticed that he wasn't as talkative between songs during the Get Hurt tour than he had been previously. When I saw him last month, there was a ton of audience interaction. He definitely seems to be having more fun with his "solo band" at the moment.

Now that I've had some time to listen to this album, I really dig it.  It's pretty much what I expected from a singer-songwriter album.  Honestly, I like it more than I liked Get Hurt initially, but I get the feeling I'm going to burn Painkillers hard for a couple of months and not really go back to it after.  Considering I still go back to all of the TGA/THC albums frequently that will be the big difference here.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Guess I never consider live shows and albums to be interchangeable. To me that's like saying a book is bad because the movie adaptation didn't impress you.

Regardless, this album is well produced, the songs are catchy, and unlike Get Hurt (which I very much disliked) it's pretty 'bare-bones' as far as instruments and effects go. It would have been weird as hell if he didn't anything else. Brian Fallon isn't David Bowie. If anything he's diet Bruce Springsteen, and it's cool as hell.

So the Beaver Brown band?

• 1 month later...