Buying a car, need some help/suggestions

I own a 2000 Pontiac. Would not recommend. Replaced the starter, the coolant reservoir twice, the idle air valve keeps getting jammed with carbon, the power steering hose busted and replaced the ignition cylinder. Oh and the turn signal relay has a bad solder point so they work sometimes, but not always, which is scary. All in about 3 years with 135k miles. I will indeed dissuade anyone from buying a Pontiac :)

Sure. My comment wasn't necessarily endorsing Pontiac but just making the point that even though they are out of business, there were a million of them on the road and it's not too hard to find parts when needed.

They are definitely getting harder to find. Used to get better gas mileage but with all the computer controls and 8 speed transmissions that are being put out now they actually get worse mileage in a lot of cases. Given things like CAFE standards, increased hybridization, and low demand, I think they are going to be gone from everything but maybe muscle cars in the near future.

Interesting. I thought I recently read that manual transmission is making a comeback. I just chalked up their decline to lazy Americans not wanting to learn how to drive a stick. It definitely comes in handy when renting a car outside the U.S.

I have a 2013 Kia Soul (before this I had leased a 2011 Soul) and I love it. Kia's warranty is really great and I never had any issues with either car. I only traded in the 2011 because someone hit me back in 2012.

2013 was the last year before the redesign so I can't speak on the new Souls.

I own a 2000 Pontiac. Would not recommend. Replaced the starter, the coolant reservoir twice, the idle air valve keeps getting jammed with carbon, the power steering hose busted and replaced the ignition cylinder. Oh and the turn signal relay has a bad solder point so they work sometimes, but not always, which is scary. All in about 3 years with 135k miles. I will indeed dissuade anyone from buying a Pontiac :)

I own a 2004 Pontiac. I have 180k on it now. I bought it brand new with maybe 2 miles on it. Other than routine oil changes and tires, I've put less than $400 maintenance into it. It's surely a rare outlier, but I'm quite positive I will never drive a more reliable car.

I own a 2004 Pontiac. I have 180k on it now. I bought it brand new with maybe 2 miles on it. Other than routine oil changes and tires, I've put less than $400 maintenance into it. It's surely a rare outlier, but I'm quite positive I will never drive a more reliable car.

i envy you :( I had a 94 Subaru before this that was a champ I miss that car other than it being pretty ugly after 20 years of AZ sun. Idk I think the gen of Pontiac I have is notorious for silly issues. The ignition thing and the turn signals were "known" issues by the manufacturer, bleh.

I loved my 2007 Jeep Commander for years and recently got a 2015 Infiniti Q50 a few months back. I personally love the car so far given its style, ride, and room for my 6'6" keister to fit in! I test drove several other cars and ended up falling in love with the car in the showroom after I sat in it and adjusted the seat (of course :P) Definitely the best bang I could find for my buck given the comparable sedans that are in the market. I do miss sitting up high from time to time, but enjoy the additional 8-11 extra mpg I get when traveling for business. IDK if this helps but since you said Nissan I figured I would add my two cents on the Q50 :P

HIPSTER 4 MOD '16!

I had a Mazda 6 (2005) for the last 10 years. I finally got a point where i was tired of dropping money into it and in September I traded it in for a 2016 Ford Fusion SE. the new car is amazing, the best decision i have made in a long time.  The Mazda was pretty solid, but at about 100K miles i started having a lot of issues with it and battled them over the last 3-4 years.  It also didn't hold up to daily wear and tear nearly as well as my previous Toyota did.

The new Fusion has been getting about 28-29 miles per gallon in heavy rush hour traffic driving, and about 36-37 on the highway. Rearview camera is standard, and the ability to stream music through bluetooth is the best thing ever especially since my stereo hardly worked in my old car. The touch screen LCD, free year of XM, 0% interest and i honestly think it drives just as good as my buddy's Saab. 

this is my first ford and i am super impressed so far. 

Went with a 2012 nissan altima with 38k miles. Didn't have all the features I wanted but beggars can't be choosers. It was between that and a 2010 mercury milan with 58k miles. I enjoyed the way the altima drove more. Downfall is the dealership just got the car so it was dirty af which put me off a bit but I know it'll be clean tomorrow

I got my first car from the dealer before they got it ready for the lot, got $5k off of it :D it was some intense bageling (that's what we call haggling.) Then on top of that it had a bad solenoid (connection for to the starter? I believe) and got $2k of repairs on shifter, starter, battery, etc. until they found the underlying issue :P

Usually any car that sits on the lot (in the back that isnt clean) has been acquired through auction and you can haggle the crap out of them, especially if you pay in cash or finance through them. Cash is always king when it comes to cars and dealers!

overall, never buying a car again, leasing for the rest of forever :D