Worldbeat/World Music Recommendations

Does anyone listen to any worldbeat or world music, outside of reggae, that's worth checking out? I have a small collection of about fifty records and I'm always on the lookout for something new/interesting.

A recent discovery, which I addressed in another post, is Tribo Massahi-Estrelando Embaixador. It's a Brazilian psych record from the early 70s that plays like one long, loose jam. It has barely left the turntable around here. There are moments that remind of Fela Kuti but it's not as funky as Kuti's records. If you're a fan of Brazilian psych, I can't recommend this one enough. If you're interested, search Discogs for a bargain. They are retailing for around $35 but I found a much cheaper copy on Discogs.

Another record that I've been playing a lot is Ecstatic Music of the Jemma El Fna that was released on Sublime Frequencies. They're a label that I trust so I picked this one up not knowing anything about it and I couldn't be happier. This is a recording that takes place in the central square of Marrakesh. Apparently, musicians gather every night to play, for mostly locals, in the square. These are working class Moroccans singing songs that address social and political injustice. Recording is prohibited so this is a really special peek into some amazing music that you would normally have to travel to Morocco to experience.

I don't know if it really fits what you're looking for, but there is a pretty awesome 60s/70s Japanese psych-pop singer named Ayumi Ishida, not to be confused with the current J-Pop star by the same name.

Check out some of the compilations that Mississippi Records puts out. The dude that does it for them travels all over buying up obscure records and makes them into themed compilations that are pretty phenomenal. I love plugging them whenever I can since they're locals, and my favorite shop in Portland. (partly because it's on my block, partly because they're just terrific.)

They also do a lot of older gospel and blues comps that are pretty nuts.

I don't know if it really fits what you're looking for, but there is a pretty awesome 60s/70s Japanese psych-pop singer named Ayumi Ishida, not to be confused with the current J-Pop star by the same name.

Check out some of the compilations that Mississippi Records puts out. The dude that does it for them travels all over buying up obscure records and makes them into themed compilations that are pretty phenomenal. I love plugging them whenever I can since they're locals, and my favorite shop in Portland. (partly because it's on my block, partly because they're just terrific.)

Definitely what I'm looking for. Thanks, I'll check it out.

Seconding the Mississippi Records recommendation. Stayed in Portland a year and a half ago right near there and it was one of the coolest stores I've been in partly because the label presses some great stuff. Picked up all four of the Anthology of American Folk Music sets, which are absolutely incredible.

Never a huge fan of too much world beat stuff, but I always thought Konono no. 1 were really cool.

Seconding the Mississippi Records recommendation. Stayed in Portland a year and a half ago right near there and it was one of the coolest stores I've been in partly because the label presses some great stuff. Picked up all four of the Anthology of American Folk Music sets, which are absolutely incredible.

Never a huge fan of too much world beat stuff, but I always thought Konono no. 1 were really cool.

The only problem with Mississippi Records is that they can be tough to find. I wish they had a website.

Have any specific comps I should check out?

Have any specific comps I should check out?

Sublime Frequencies also puts out great comps like Pop Yeh Yeh, Thai Pop Spectacular and Cambodian Cassette Archieves: Khmer Folk & Pop Music Vol. 1.

They also put out Saigon Rock and Soul: Vietnamese Classic Tracks 1968 - 1974. I've been looking for this for a while. I would like to find a copy under $40.