I Hate The Beatles

Why do people look at me like I just stabbed their grandmother when I tell them that I hate The Beatles? It's true. I've never liked them. I think their early catalog is the worst and their "experimental" period is boring. If a Beatles' song comes on the radio, I change the station. If I walk into a store and a Beatles' song is playing, I leave. I wouldn't dare date/marry a Beatles fan.

to each his own.  i will say that most every meaningful band, chorus, melody, hook, riff or harmony of the last 50 years owes something to this band that put out 12 albums and something like 200 songs in 7+ years.  We are lucky to get 3 albums in that time from modern bands, with little to no innovation

their b-sides are better than most bands entire catalogues

its weird to hate them unless you are saturated with exposure, but in this day and age i sincerely doubt thats the case.  i havent accidentally heard a beatles song in a decade, i suspect.  there are way cooler/more relevant things to hate nowadays.

to each his own. i will say that most every meaningful band, chorus, melody, hook, riff or harmony of the last 50 years owes something to this band that put out 12 albums and something like 200 songs in 7+ years. We are lucky to get 3 albums in that time from modern bands, with little to no innovation

their b-sides are better than most bands entire catalogues

its weird to hate them unless you are saturated with exposure, but in this day and age i sincerely doubt thats the case. i havent accidentally heard a beatles song in a decade, i suspect. there are way cooler/more relevant things to hate nowadays.

Why do people look at me like I just stabbed their grandmother when I tell them that I hate The Beatles? It's true. I've never liked them. I think their early catalog is the worst and their "experimental" period is boring. If a Beatles' song comes on the radio, I change the station. If I walk into a store and a Beatles' song is playing, I leave. I wouldn't dare date/marry a Beatles fan.

Why expend more energy rambling about something you hate rather than something you want to share and be excited about in a positive way? Maybe I'm missing the point.

I appreciate the music The Beatles have put out, but by no means do I listen to them even somewhat regularly, or really consider myself a fan. They did know how to make a catchy tune, and dammit if they didn't rinse and repeat that strategy tenfold.

I didn't grow up on them so I can take it or leave it, but I don't hate them by any means. I bought the mono CD box awhile back out of curiosity and they have a lot of great music. They're also literally the most well known band in the world.

The more important question to the OP is what is some of your favorite music/bands?

This seems like a naive perspective. I can understand not enjoying something, but to "hate" something so prolific, and obviously responsible in shaping a great deal of the music you enjoy today, seems ridiculous. Moral of the story, it's okay not to enjoy The Beatles, but don't hate, appreciate.

I didn't grow up on them so I can take it or leave it, but I don't hate them by any means. I bought the mono CD box awhile back out of curiosity and they have a lot of great music. They're also literally the most well known band in the world.

The more important question to the OP is what is some of your favorite music/bands?

The Velvet Underground, Black Sabbath, Howlin' Wolf, The Stooges, Sonic Youth, The Rolling Stones, Peter Tosh, Damien Jurado, The Minutemen, Funkadelic, Betty Davis, Au Pairs, Neu!, Animal Collective, Candi Staton, Spoon, William Onyeabor, Eric Dolphy, Wolf Parade...

Why expend more energy rambling about something you hate rather than something you want to share and be excited about in a positive way? Maybe I'm missing the point.

I do plenty of that. The point is to address the reaction I get when I tell people that I hate The Beatles. I don't understand why people are so offended by that statement or can't possibly understand how I could feel that way.

This seems like a naive perspective. I can understand not enjoying something, but to "hate" something so prolific, and obviously responsible in shaping a great deal of the music you enjoy today, seems ridiculous. Moral of the story, it's okay not to enjoy The Beatles, but don't hate, appreciate.

Au contraire, I believe the naivete resides with those who can't possibly fathom why I would shit on such a sacred cow.