Good record Stores in Detroit

I am going to Detroit next week ..

and I saw a few listed in the record store thread but..

I only have a few hours in 'the D" this coming Monday and didn't want to waste time..

Besides the new Third Man shop, is there any great stores that I HAVE to hit up?

I really only have time to do three (third man being one of them)..

looking for rare Indie, punk, emo and whatever..

thoughts?

and thanks..

Sadly here aren't any shops I'd say you need to hit while in Detroit.  A lot of good shops there have closed in the past 5-10 years and now most of the good ones are out in the burbs.

thanks.

that sucks.

when I looked it up on Yelp there was like 15 stores but I imagine they aren't all up to date.

blah

UHF is pretty good.  Not sure which genre you're looking for but there used to be a few stores in Ferndale with large techno selections.  Also, not sure if it's still around, but there used to be a massive record store on Gratiot.  Floor to ceiling records in a huge building.  I think it was near 8 or 9 Mile.

UHF & Found Sound are the only two I really go to anymore.  The large store on Gratiot mentioned above is Melodies and Memories.  I'd also recommend Paramita Sound (smaller shop in Detroit proper).

Both Record Times are closed although they are still listed in Mojo magazine as stockists.

UHF, Found Sound, Flipside, and Solo Records are all within like 10 minutes of each other. Solo has the best prices but they don't have any new records and their selection is mainly classic rock. UHF is pretty meh on prices but they're really popular so the stock is pretty varied. Found Sound and Flipside are definitely worth the visit... Melodies and Memories is nice. HUGE dance/electronic section. 

Dearborn Music gets mentioned a lot, and although it's a really nice store, they only put out new used arrivals on Sundays so it's really not worth going there later in the week because most of the good used stuff is already gone. 

If you're looking for indie/punk/emo, go to UHF and Found Sound. 

UHF is pretty good.  Not sure which genre you're looking for but there used to be a few stores in Ferndale with large techno selections.  Also, not sure if it's still around, but there used to be a massive record store on Gratiot.  Floor to ceiling records in a huge building.  I think it was near 8 or 9 Mile.

Depends on what you're looking for but the Ferndale shop that was mentioned is Found Sound, on 9 Mile & Woodward. Great overall selection.

Dearborn Music in Dearborn. Not in Detroit obviously but only 20-25 mins out from it. Super selection on all genres used and new.

I'll vouche for UHF as well. Great punk/hardcore selection.

UHF & Found Sound are the only two I really go to anymore.  The large store on Gratiot mentioned above is Melodies and Memories.  I'd also recommend Paramita Sound (smaller shop in Detroit proper).

Both Record Times are closed although they are still listed in Mojo magazine as stockists.

UHF, Found Sound, Flipside, and Solo Records are all within like 10 minutes of each other. Solo has the best prices but they don't have any new records and their selection is mainly classic rock. UHF is pretty meh on prices but they're really popular so the stock is pretty varied. Found Sound and Flipside are definitely worth the visit... Melodies and Memories is nice. HUGE dance/electronic section. 

Dearborn Music gets mentioned a lot, and although it's a really nice store, they only put out new used arrivals on Sundays so it's really not worth going there later in the week because most of the good used stuff is already gone. 

If you're looking for indie/punk/emo, go to UHF and Found Sound. 

wow thank you.

it sounds like UHF and Found Sound and maybe Flipside.

let's be honest, is third man worth going to if they don't have any limited exclusives?

thoughts?

Third Man is cool for the novelty of it. The Sun and Tamla reissues are pretty cool, and they have a new Gories 7" which is awesome and you should buy.

are these exclusives to the store??

I mean I can buy third man stuff anywhere ..

and if they don't have used stuff, it's just stuff I can find on their online store and 

in other stores..

I mean I would love to go if I had some time but if there's nothing exclusive to the store..

or is there?

I always hit Dearborn Music when I am in the area.  They are definitely the biggest store with the best selection of new albums.  UHF is also very good and tends to have some nice used stuff that you don't generally see elsewhere.   I'm a fan of Found Sound as well.

I have never found anything of value in Dearborn. One thing is that I have quality stores where I live and such so I generally do not grade a store by their new selection. I am more interested in what they have used and this is mostly classic rock store

I prefer Flipside to UHF.  I live in the Royal Oak area, closest to Flipside, so admittedly it's the one I have been to most.  I know that they had a hook up for a while that would sell them used vinyl that they could end up selling to people like me for more expensive prices.  I bought Straylight Run's "The Needles The Space" and a first press of Underoath's "They're Only Chasing Safety".  They also got a bunch of old Bright Eyes presses around that time from the guy as well.  I haven't found anything too cool in there in recent trips, but I definitely recommend them.  They don't just sell records, either.  You can get cheap DVD's, older videogames, action figures... it's just a store that sells collectible items I guess.  Makes it unique from UHF.  I think UHF has a larger selection, however.  I don't know how much "rare" anything either of the stores have.  Alternatively, you could always hit up my house and buy super rare cool recordzzz!!11  :P

I found a ton of great Rare stuff at Found Sound, including first pressings of Love is Hell and a Kyuss LP.

UHF had some good stuff but Found Sound was way more my speed.

might be going to Ann Arbor tomorrow to see what they have..

thoughts?

Underground Sounds and Encore are both on Liberty, within walking distance of each other. I love both.

UHF is a great place to buy expensive ass imports.

Underground Sounds is a great shop - mostly sells new vinyl, prices are pretty good and there's a pretty good selection considering the size. As mentioned, Encore is a few blocks away on Liberty. Mostly used vinyl, also not bad price wise, but is a lot more "picked over." A couple blocks from that, on State, is Wazoo, which is smaller than Underground but has a mix of new and used. Pretty decent place for used finds. Lastly, about a ten minute walk from that is PJs on Packard. It's hit or miss. I've had some good finds there, but the pricing is crazy sometimes.

Encore has a very large selection of used records and cds. A ton of jazz, experimental, soundtracks etc. Stuff you don't really find elsewhere. but they also have the regular stuff. Until recently everything they had was pretty much used. Now they have some new stock as well. I'd say they get the majority of peoples used records as far as the shops in town so it's well worth hitting. But a lot of their better items end up on ebay. Underground Sounds is the opposite. Mostly new with a small used bin. And Wazoo is small but decent. The guy that runs Wazoo is very cool and their prices tend to be more than fair. All 3 of those places are within a half mile of each other. And I agree that PJs pricing can be very insane so if u don't have a lot of time do the first 3.