Need Help Picking Out My First Portable Cassette Tape Player

Recently I have looking to get my first portable cassette tape player. I've been using the family boom box for awhile and it works great but I wanted to get something portable that I can bring back and forth to school. I got a Memorex tape player for Christmas but unfortunately it wouldn't play any of my tapes.  I'm not sure what model by Memorex it was since I already returned it.  Today I demoed an Ion Audio Tape Express Cassette and that did not play my tapes either.  The tapes I tested for both of these cassette tape players were Dance Gavin Dance - Instant Gratification and Meshuggah's promo tape for Chaosphere.  Both played perfectly on the boom box and neither one is a peculiar sized tape or anything.

I am open to all suggestions as far as what portable tape player is best! I don't want to spend more than $100 on a tape player since I feel like it's not worth it for more than $100.  Also if anyone has a good portable tape player for sale definitely let me know as well! Thanks for the help!

No disrespect OP but I first asked myself if this is a real thread. Then I saw your age and realized by time you were 3, I was one of the last of my friends holding onto a cassette player. So unfortunately I don't have any suggestions because I ditched my tape deck in 1998, but best of luck and enjoy the free bump.

No disrespect OP but I first asked myself if this is a real thread. Then I saw your age and realized by time you were 3, I was one of the last of my friends holding onto a cassette player. So unfortunately I don't have any suggestions because I ditched my tape deck in 1998, but best of luck and enjoy the free bump.

Thanks man! Yeah I was kinda young when tapes were huge but hopefully I can find something that works fine 

The only reason I could think they wouldn't work is because the portable players you tried didn't support Dolby audio, however I'm not sure Dance Gavin Dance or Meshuggah (or anyone for that matter) would go through the trouble of releasing Dolby NR tapes this day in age.

Good point.  The Meshuggah tape was a promo from '98 I bought off a user on this site and I bet DGD is still for sale on Merchnow but I highly doubt they were on Dolby tapes.