USPS Rates Increasing Jan. 17, 2016

I don't know many people who are able to get to the post office between 9 am and 5pm as it is. Without Saturday... I'd literally never use USPS again.

Most of the post offices here are open until 7 or 8. How would it be any different than any other place only open 9-5 during the week?

I never go to the post office anymore. I can print my own postage online, and get the packages picked up, I can buy stamps at the atm/grocery store/drug store if I ever need them.

As someone who's had to spend months commuting out of town, Monday through Friday, 8 AM – 5:00 PM... I've used my local post office's 3-hour Saturday window many, many times.

[edit]

Damn, you guys are lucky. I'm pretty sure my post office is strictly 8 or 9 AM until 5 PM on the dot, and 9 AM to noon on Saturday.

We have a 24-hour post office out by the airport that I discovered relatively recently. It's great.

That is pretty awesome. The main branch downtown is open 24 hours the week before taxes are due, but that's it. They used to be open until midnight, until they got rid of the distribution center in it.

Of some interest to probably most of us here...

Looks like it's mainly Priority/Priority Express and First Class postage that will be seeing an increase, Media Mail rate most likely will remain the same. Still, our wallets could end up hurting this year a little more than we were already expecting.

http://blog.stamps.com/2015/10/22/usps-announces-postage-rate-increase-starts-january-17-2016/

For Canadians, aren't there some Euro distros that are cheaper than ordering from the US anyway. If scour those.

As for Euros I think there will be even more of a conscious effort for wholesale distros to get more products there.

It does suck though because we all just wanna be able to ship records to each other right? I guess if you rely on USPS International I would get my last orders in now....

We need some Bernie Sanders action so we Americans can have socialized postal rates.

Not even sure what this means.  The US Postal Service was spun away from the government several years ago but still receives significant tax payer support in the form of tax breaks, subsidized loans, and its continued niche as a legal monopoly.

The only post office related proposals I remember from Bernie Sanders were around providing additional (banking) services at post office locations.  I think this is intended to undercut predatory check cashing services and the like that are prevalent in low income areas.

the cost we pay to mail stuff is completely reasonable.

For Canadians, aren't there some Euro distros that are cheaper than ordering from the US anyway. If scour those.

As for Euros I think there will be even more of a conscious effort for wholesale distros to get more products there.

It does suck though because we all just wanna be able to ship records to each other right? I guess if you rely on USPS International I would get my last orders in now....

It will still be easy for me to get basically any record I want for a *fair* price between Amazon and local stores. However, Canadians can say goodbye to getting their hands on any rare preorder variants unless they are willing to pay $45 for a $12 LP.

I have started to care much less about variants over the past year, however when a favourite band puts up a limited preorder through a label, it's kind of a bummer knowing it won't be affordable.

It will still be easy for me to get basically any record I want for a *fair* price between Amazon and local stores. However, Canadians can say goodbye to getting their hands on any rare preorder variants unless they are willing to pay $45 for a $12 LP.

I have started to care much less about variants over the past year, however when a favourite band puts up a limited preorder through a label, it's kind of a bummer knowing it won't be affordable.

I figured it was that way. Sucks.

Just wanted to point out that since rates are going up - records pressed in the states being shipped to the label/whoever will cost more meaning even if we live in the grand old 50 - that cost to the label/distributor could essentially be passed on down to the consumer. AND THAT MEANS. The price of records goes up even more. 

HUZZAH!

Just wanted to point out that since rates are going up - records pressed in the states being shipped to the label/whoever will cost more meaning even if we live in the grand old 50 - that cost to the label/distributor could essentially be passed on down to the consumer. AND THAT MEANS. The price of records goes up even more.

HUZZAH!

Plants ship pallets of records via usps. If they do,they are idiots

I wouldn't mind paying a few extra $ for international shipping if I could ensure the parcel wouldn't be hit by customs on the way in. The main reason I don't buy from hot topic anymore is because I'm 99% certain I'll get a bill for £27 or whatever on top of the $45 I paid for postage. The threshold at which they start charging customs fees in the UK is £15 and from my understanding that figure includes the cost for p&p, so you're pretty much guaranteed to incur at least an £8 charge.

Comercial Base won't see a raise in rates for international packages so ordering from a label/distro/store shouldn't be more expensive at all. I run a very small distro/record label and I use Endicia for my packages. Most labels are using online postage so everything should work about the same way as it's been.