PO: After The Burial: Dig Deep

Just for the sake of conversation, let's discuss ATB live.  Who here has seen them?  And what did you think?  I may be reiterating things I've said in other posts, but these guys are one of those bands where seeing them live will make you a bigger fan.  Check them out if they hit a town/city near you.  Also, I can't imagine anybody taking any special trips just to see them in their hometown, but if you get the chance, a Minnesota After The Burial show is something else.  Kids in MN love these guys, and pack the house every time they play.  You'd think some big mainstream radio band was on stage.  Big turn outs, rowdy crowds & huge pits.  Not to over-sell the experience, but I've seen them in a few other states, and though still completely kick ass, it's not quite the same.  

Just for the sake of conversation, let's discuss ATB live.  Who here has seen them?  And what did you think?  I may be reiterating things I've said in other posts, but these guys are one of those bands where seeing them live will make you a bigger fan.  Check them out if they hit a town/city near you.  Also, I can't imagine anybody taking any special trips just to see them in their hometown, but if you get the chance, a Minnesota After The Burial show is something else.  Kids in MN love these guys, and pack the house every time they play.  You'd think some big mainstream radio band was on stage.  Big turn outs, rowdy crowds & huge pits.  Not to over-sell the experience, but I've seen them in a few other states, and though still completely kick ass, it's not quite the same.  

I've seen them a few times and they were awesome every single time, every single note. Drove by myself 6 hours to see them the first time in 2010. Paid $34 for me and my gf to see them play 5 songs once. Totally worth it. I wish I could go to a MN ATB show but I can't even manage to get 3 hrs down the road to see Tool tomorrow.  :angry:

They're solid as fuck live, sadly no more berserker behind the head. Only downside is they draw kids that try and punch you in the face and that's never fun

When I saw Justin do that (first song of the set, 20ft from me) it blew my mind. I honestly thought for a second he might be faking it. I know a lot of really good guitarists and only a few could play that passage on their couch, with the guitar in front of them. I've not had any trouble with their fans at shows, FWIW. I've seen much worse at a lot of other shows. 

Anyone wanna talk conspirices?

Anyone watched thorough his youtube reel that he put out right before his break? His demo version of Anti-Pattern is the best song ever. There's a lot of filler in the reel (pretty long video) but there's some really cool stuff as well. 

I've seen them a few times and they were awesome every single time, every single note. Drove by myself 6 hours to see them the first time in 2010. Paid $34 for me and my gf to see them play 5 songs once. Totally worth it. I wish I could go to a MN ATB show but I can't even manage to get 3 hrs down the road to see Tool tomorrow. :angry:

When I saw Justin do that (first song of the set, 20ft from me) it blew my mind. I honestly thought for a second he might be faking it. I know a lot of really good guitarists and only a few could play that passage on their couch, with the guitar in front of them. I've not had any trouble with their fans at shows, FWIW. I've seen much worse at a lot of other shows.

Anyone wanna talk conspirices?

Anyone watched thorough his youtube reel that he put out right before his break? His demo version of Anti-Pattern is the best song ever. There's a lot of filler in the reel (pretty long video) but there's some really cool stuff as well.

There was a stretch where they didn't play berserker and that was the first time I saw them so I was pretty bummed but then I saw em a few months later and was talking to them before their set and I brought it up and they were like you'll be excited then for our. It was one of the coolest things seeing him do it, and everytime I saw him do that it amazed me.

As for the fans, I'm from Milwaukee and we have tons of hardcore dancers and hate moshers here it gets really annoying.

As for the fans, I'm from Milwaukee and we have tons of hardcore dancers and hate moshers here it gets really annoying.

Ugh. That sucks. 

I saw an ATB video sometime around the release of In Dreams. It was not a live vid on stage, they were in the studio/bedroom. Trent and Justin were playing My Frailty (almost positive because of the exaggerated left hand slides). I went back to show it to someone because of how locked in Trent and Justin were but I couldn't find it. I found the studio updates from In Dreams but they aren't what I saw in the past. I've looked and looked. It's not the guitar lesson either. Maybe it was taken down but I don't see why. Anyone know the vid I'm talking about? When they get to the breakdown/slidey part they are like marching band snare drummers. Hands 1000% in lock step. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody checking out Collapse?  Also, despite that it's been out since October (I think), thoughts on Lost In The Static?  Just a few more days till the Sumerian Records Tour kicks off in Minneapolis, same day the album is released.  CAN-NOT-WAIT.

I don't recall too much of that 'hardcore dancefloor' karate business at any ATB shows, although certainly some.  Agree with KeyserSoze that I've seen significantly worse at other shows.  I'd love to speak out more extensively against the softcore dancefloor, but that will open a whole other can of worms & derail this topic real fast.  I'll just say quickly that I'm a mosher.  I don't understand the hardcore dancing, but I also know anyone who doesn't listen to heavy music doesn't understand moshing, either.  To each their own, each one is what it is, but punching girls or other random people & thinking it's justified simply because they were near the perimeter of the pit isn't agreeable in my book.

BUT ANYWAYS.  :)  

What kind of consipiracies are you talking about, KeyserSoze?  The whole Justin ordeal, I'm assuming?  I was thinking, just for the sake of considering all possibilities...what if, his long facebook post & all the things he talked about were accurate, and he was actually murdered?  A long shot, but hey.  What if...

What kind of consipiracies are you talking about, KeyserSoze?  The whole Justin ordeal, I'm assuming?  I was thinking, just for the sake of considering all possibilities...what if, his long facebook post & all the things he talked about were accurate, and he was actually murdered?  A long shot, but hey.  What if...

That's exactly it. He was afraid for his life. He was obviously sick and had broke from reality but he was also afraid to die. I think either option is possible. He could have been in so much pain and so scared that he only saw one way out. I don't think his band could have killed him though. They have been too close for too long. Not to mention, Justin's parents provided monetary support to ATB. I don't know, its just really fucking sad either way. 

I got my CD copy of Dig Deep today. Attending the funeral of a 33 year old friend later today. Very uncool coincidence. 

On to your questions. Yes I've been checking out Collapse. I like it. It's not my favorite song but the ending section is awesome. I like Lost in the Static as well. I went back and forth on it a little but it's good. You've heard the rest of the songs already? They are on YouTube. There are a few cuts on the album that I like better than either of the 2 singles. Heavy Lies the Ground is ridamndiculous. Every song is great but Catacombs will take some time for me to get into. That sure is a lot of Whammy pedal. All in all I think it's a very solid album without a lot of filler. There's nods to all of the old sounds, a little of each album comes through at some point but there's new and fresh ideas as well. I think that's a good formula. Change is good but don't go all Cryptopsy or Intervals on us. I could have used a little more variety (there's only so many combinations of sextuplet cluster breakdowns) but I can "deal" with a few more. 

Above all, this album sounds great. I may like Wolves Within's music better but that damn High Pass Filter on the guitar makes it sound SOOOO thin. What's the point in tuning down to C# when everything below 80Hz is rolled off AND the bass is so quiet in the mix? Sorry, tangent rant. 

"I get what I give, so I die where I dig." That's tattoo material right there and I don't have any tattoos. 

"Smash against these glaciers of mistakes. We find ourselves drowning in the flood."

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to listening to the full album tonight. It's fantastic. The beginning of Laurentian Ghosts is beautiful. I have so much to buy now but this definitely needs to happen

This album is phenomenal from start to finish, they really have progressed with each album, fuckin sucks about Justin, way way to soon. 

This album is phenomenal from start to finish, they really have progressed with each album, fuckin sucks about Justin, way way to soon. 

Yeah, that really was a shame. Didn't the band make a significant donation to mental illness charities too? 

I was a little surprised it was only nine tracks for a full length, but they're all bangers

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...