PO: Mogwai - Atomic (A Soundtrack by Mogwai)

I'd be interested if you can grab an extra.

Would be very grateful if you could score a copy for me. Even happy to pay a premium too for some beer money for you!

I will see if there are any left tomorrow. Won't be able to get there until around three. Maybe the horrible weather will work in my favour.

Got my Monorail exclusive version today - for any others, the download code won't work until April 1, the official release date.  I emailed Rock Action, as my download code wasn't working, and Craig emailed back within minutes to clarify!  God bless Rock Action.

Also, this record looks awesome, more of an orange swirl than a straight orange!

• 2 weeks later...

Must be the lighting then - looked like gold to me in the photo.

BTW: The double vinyl is 33 rpm, right? I wasn't sure since it didn't say anything on the label...

Music-wise, it's one of their soundtrack records - I wouldn't compare it to their other non-soundtrack output. It certainly doesn't have any of the grinding or quiet/loud stuff of their earlier releases.

My favorite Mogwai records are still CODY, Happy Songs, Mister Beast and The Hawk is Howling. The Special Moves live recording is not bad either.

I think the first track, Ether, is one of the best tracks they've done in awhile. Some of the tracks are a lot heavier than I expected, especially for a documentary soundtrack - but I guess it fits with the whole atomic bomb thing, haha. 

Has anyone actually seen the doc this was made for? 

Yeah the doc was shown on BBC4 here in the UK. It's pretty good. Not a documentary in the sense that they have people talking about atomic bombs/energy but pretty much a visual collage of old footage. Goes really well with the music though. Mogwai are playing along to the visuals on their upcoming tour. I think the director Mark Cousins was selling copies of the doc on DVD.

I think the film was amazing but as thesewoodenideas states it's more of an art piece than a true documentary. You're certainly not going to learn much about the atomic bomb or Cold War watching it, but if you already know about these things it's a really interesting collection of footage put together in an interesting manner and the music just makes the film.

And rabbitvinyl - that first track is just amazing in the film. The visuals are the story of birth/death or maybe more appropriately growth/decay, but not knowing what to think going into the viewing, that was such a moving opening both visually and sonically that I was hooked. Probably the best part of the documentary.

So, what's your opinion on the music?

Would you compare it rather to their earlier catalogue or the newer one?

This is the first Mogwai album I am sitting out on. Their synth heavy stuff has never been my thing and each album is less heavy than the last. I like Mogwai for crunchy guitars and melodic bass lines but this stuff is just beyond me.

This is the first Mogwai album I am sitting out on. Their synth heavy stuff has never been my thing and each album is less heavy than the last. I like Mogwai for crunchy guitars and melodic bass lines but this stuff is just beyond me.

Sorry to hear that, as it is a really strong album. At the moment, I think side C is the strongest, especially "Little Boy" is gorgeous. No crunchy guitars, but they have quite a few melodic bass lines on the album.

And the orange vinyl looks great  :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My copy arrived just now. Two pretty big seam splits on the top of each gate plus the inner sleeves were pretty wrinkled from insertion. Not why I am surprised but, the variant looks nothing like the photos on TR. Still looks really nice, but was hoping it would be transparent. Regardless, still a very nice package that sounds great!

29 minutes ago, EquinoxDesignLab said:

My copy arrived just now. Two pretty big seam splits on the top of each gate plus the inner sleeves were pretty wrinkled from insertion. Not why I am surprised but, the variant looks nothing like the photos on TR. Still looks really nice, but was hoping it would be transparent. Regardless, still a very nice package that sounds great!

Temporary Residence is real good about shipping LPs outside the sleeve if you ask.  I just tack it into the comments section when I order and they've yet to fail doing it.  Hoping mine shows up soon too, I'm jonesing for some new Mogwai!

1 hour ago, EquinoxDesignLab said:

Giant seam splits on mine as well. And yes, this variant looks nothing like the mock ups. Disc 1 is kind of nice looking, an orange inside of red. Disc 2 though, is probably the ugliest record I've ever seen. It looks like those opaque multi color LPs from the early days of vinyl. Like a bunch of melted crayons mashed together.