The Weezer Thread

I find Make Believe to be much better than Raditude, and I'd argue that the highs on Make Believe surpass the ones on Hurley.

Make Believe, Ratitude, Hurley, Red, it's all one big melting pile of garbage to me. There might be one or two songs in all of it that I like. Make Believe is the worst to me because it marks the start of a decade of crap. So it's always sit sour with me. After that I pretty much just expected no return, so I wasn't as mad.

This is pretty interesting to look at:   

SALES

// Blue

US | 3,300,000

World | 6,750,000

RIAA 3x Platinum

// Pinkerton

US | 852,000

World | 1,600,000

RIAA Gold

// Green

US | 1,600,000

World | 3,600,000

RIAA Platinum

// Maladroit

US | 614,000

World | 900,000

RIAA Gold

// Make Believe

US | 1,200,000

World | 3,750,000

RIAA Platinum

// Red

US | 443,000

World | 625,000

// Ratitude

US | 220,000

World | 330,000

// Hurley

US | 135,000

World | 175,000

// Everything Will Be Alright In The End

US | 100,000

World | 625,000

I wonder how White will fare?

Still man, it's a crime Pinkerton didn't do better.

Crazy to know how popular, important, and highly regarded it is, and it's the go to Weezer album for so many, yet selling so little considering.

I think White will hit gold in time with all the positive reviews it's getting, and how it has a few radio singles on it. I hope it goes platinum eventually though. That would be rad.

Pinkerton did terrible when it came out, and was destroyed by a lot of critics. It seemed to have gained a resurgence and cult following later on.

Pinkerton did terrible when it came out, and was destroyed by a lot of critics. It seemed to have gained a resurgence and cult following later on.

In turn destroying Rivers because he put so much of himself into that album. I'm glad he was able to bounce back from it though.

//

As far as sales and reviews:

Came out in 1996, and by 2001 it had hit gold in the US. By 2007 it went to 820,000.

[Rolling Stone]

When it came out Rolling Stone gave it a 3/5.

The writer called the songwriting "juvenile" and described the song "Tired of Sex" as "aimless".

Rolling Stone readers voted the album the third worst of 1996.

In 2004 Pinkerton was given a 5/5.

They later on went to rate it at #48/100 for Greatest Albums of The 1990s in 2004.

In 2002, Rolling Stone readers voted Pinkerton the 16th greatest album of all time.

[Pitchfork]

Pitchfork initially gave it a 7.5/10 when it came out.

The writer said "Pinkerton might actually be a bit much for fans who were wooed with the clean production and immediately accessible sound of these guys' debut, but if given a chance, it might surprise even some anti-Weezer folk."

Years later they went on to give it a 10/10.

And to name it 53rd best album of the 1990s in 2003.

[Rivers]

Although he was initially quite proud of the record, the perceived failure of Pinkerton caused Cuomo to distance himself from it for quite some time. This has become an integral part of its legacy. Recently his views have changed and he has expressed a growing appreciation for the album.

1997: "This has been a tough year. It's not just that the world has said Pinkerton isn't worth a shit, but that the Blue album wasn't either. It was a fluke. It was the "Buddy Holly" video. I'm a shitty songwriter." [RC]

2001: "It's a hideous record... It was such a hugely painful mistake that happened in front of hundreds of thousands of people and continues to happen on a grander and grander scale and just won't go away. It's like getting really drunk at a party and spilling your guts in front of everyone and feeling incredibly great and cathartic about it, and then waking up the next morning and realizing what a complete fool you made of yourself." [EW]

2001: "The most painful thing in my life these days is the cult around Pinkerton. It's just a sick album, sick in a diseased sort of way. It's such a source of anxiety because all the fans we have right now have stuck around because of that album. But, honestly, I never want to play those songs again; I never want to hear them again." [Rolling Stone]

2005: "Then I went back to Boston and wrote Pinkerton, which didn’t have as broad an appeal. It has the sound of someone who’s not really in touch with other people, and I don’t know if that’s good. It also sounds very much like a winter album, which I don’t know if I would make in L.A. So I like L.A." [LA Weekly]

2008: "Pinkerton's great. It's super-deep, brave, and authentic. Listening to it, I can tell that I was really going for it when I wrote and recorded a lot of those songs." [Pitchfork]

2010: "Right around 2001, when we put out the Green Album, I said a lot of negative, inflammatory things about Pinkerton and about a lot of things. I said a lot of crazy stuff. And those quotes have lived on for the last nine years. And people get confused and they think I still feel that way even though it was something I said in an off-handed way nine years ago. But ever since I've been trying to make it clear that, of course, I think it's a brilliant album. I love it. I love the songs and I love playing those songs and I hope the positive message gets through." [Exclaim]

2015: "The experience of learning those songs again, singing them every night, working on them with the guys, and then being in a relatively small venue with 1,000 of the most hardcore Weezer fans and hearing them sing every syllable, seeing them air drum all the fills—it was such an amazing experience and so different from what we'd been doing the years before that ... So it was a great feeling of validation from the fans, for this album that was so personal to me and had been such a source of pain for years." [RC]

Crazy to know how popular, important, and highly regarded it is, and it's the go to Weezer album for so many, yet selling so little considering.

I think White will hit gold in time with all the positive reviews it's getting, and how it has a few radio singles on it. I hope it goes platinum eventually though. That would be rad.

Uh...no...it's only expected to do 30-35k in its first week. It'll likely be 10-15 years before it's a gold record.

I honestly think white belongs with make believe and raditude, California kids was the only song on it I truly dug and thank God for girls has to be the worst song they've ever written

Tracks 7-10 were all solid, I thought, and I didn't absolutely hate anything on the record. Thank God For Girls is definitely my least favorite track, but even still the lyrical content is somewhat clever and saves it from being a full on throwaway track for me.

i agree, always found it to be a good listen.  i'd say it beats everything post pinkerton except white and maladroit.  

regardless of the sentiment, back to the shack is worse than anything off make believe.

I'll remind you of We Are All On Drugs.

Honestly, Perfect Situation is so good of a song, it makes up for Beverly Hills and We Are All On Drugs.

For the new record, Thank God For Girls, and River's desire to rap, is terrible.  Do You Wanna Get High should be a Pinkerton b-side, and I say that in a good way.  But still, LA Girlz (with a Z?  fuck...) is the highlight for me.  That song rules.