The Weezer Thread

1 minute ago, jeromium said:

I contemplated buying one of the new issues of the blue album yesterday, having not owned it since the CD I bought in '94. The quality of the artwork made me reluctant, though. The blue seemed darker, the humans kind of pixelated and not so crisp. Could be just because I never examined it that closely in a larger format than CD, could be that the quality of the artwork isn't on par with the original or other issues. Can anyone provide any insight? I remember the cover being a slightly brighter blue, closer to true cyan. 

Pixelated artwork doesn't bother me much. You can't play the jacket.

I'm more interested in hearing sound reviews  Any insight from anyone? Same master as the first MFSL?

Anyone else here disappointed with the sound of the vinyl pressing of White? It's not the best production to start with, but the pressing sounds too hissy to me... got the black one. Still really happy about these songs, 20 years after Pinkerton getting me through my first big heartbreak...

Side note: How cool would it be to get the never released 5th album demos on vinyl someday? Way better than anything between green and white IMO.

Side note 2: What a shame the blue album era B-sides were never released on vinyl (or am I wrong?) Like Mykel & Carli, Suzanne...

14 minutes ago, christidal said:

Anyone else here disappointed with the sound of the vinyl pressing of White? It's not the best production to start with, but the pressing sounds too hissy to me... got the black one. Still really happy about these songs, 20 years after Pinkerton getting me through my first big heartbreak...

Side note: How cool would it be to get the never released 5th album demos on vinyl someday? Way better than anything between green and white IMO.

Side note 2: What a shame the blue album era B-sides were never released on vinyl (or am I wrong?) Like Mykel & Carli, Suzanne...

That's a whole lot of post there friend.

It's been a minute since I listened to my copy of white, but I remember it sounding fine.

14 minutes ago, christidal said:

https://www.discogs.com/Weezer-Undone-The-Sweater-Song/master/35243

Those 2 tracks were on this single. I think there was a bootleg with b sides on it too

50 minutes ago, christidal said:

Anyone else here disappointed with the sound of the vinyl pressing of White? It's not the best production to start with, but the pressing sounds too hissy to me... got the black one.

I remember being scared because I was getting White on white wax, but the sound impressed me. No issues to report.

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned concerns about the quality of the cover art on the latest standard reissue. Turns out, my concerns were valid. On a recent trip to the record store I was able to compare the latest standard reissue with a Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab reissue on blue vinyl - the difference in the cover art is huge - with the MFS being of higher quality and what I remember my 1994 CD cover looking like. The standard reissue (left) is pixelated and much darker - photo and background.

(edit) In this photo it looks like the MFS background is darker though, but in reality the standard (left) is a bit more turquoise and the MFS is more of a true cyan. I was focusing more on the difference in face/clothing quality and color when I snapped it.

1z4gwpl.jpg

Edited by jeromium