The Weezer Thread

8 minutes ago, swb said:

At least, the song title makes it overtly clear about which Weezer to expect.

At first thought - I did the same and agree. But then did a double take on some titles from White Album (the last good Weezer album): "LA Girlz" (that 'z' would normally throw me) or "Do You Wanna Get High?". Idk, I'm leaning toward your point and the fact that this will be at the least as bad as everything off Pacific Daydream, but I'm almost holding out hope at the same time.

2 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

At first thought - I did the same and agree. But then did a double take on some titles from White Album (the last good Weezer album): "LA Girlz" (that 'z' would normally throw me) or "Do You Wanna Get High?". Idk, I'm leaning toward your point and the fact that this will be at the least as bad as everything off Pacific Daydream, but I'm almost holding out hope at the same time.

You're right. Some pretty bad Weezer song titles on white, as well. There's just something about the context of the last record, the recent stray/soundtrack songs, the live acoustic Black album song, and Rivers' bonkers descriptions of what the Black album will sound like that gives me the confidence to assume the absolute worst from the song title "Don't Knock the Hustle".

If that is the case, to be fair to Rivers, we should note that he's been releasing terrible ironic covers for a long time. The only difference between the wildly successful radio-chart-topping Africa cover and his YouTube only State Farm jingle cover is US.

WE are to blame if this is a 2nd ironic cover single with its own marketing/radio push and physical release in a row.

Edited by swb

2 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

My mind is working so hard to like this song and to find a silver lining within its sound..

every 16-year old youtube commenter didn't seem to have much trouble: "its not their old rock n rolly sound like 'Beverly Hills' but it sure is funky!!! :DD D"

no, its just generic 2018 pop.

It looks like a successful way to ward off the realization that you're listening to a terrible Weezer song is to log on to YouTube or Reddit and type the words "funky" and "experimentation" over and over into a comment field. I haven't tried it but, apparently, it gives you the feeling that you're listening to a GREAT! song.

Edited by swb

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://weezerwebstore.com/

Black Album pressing info so far

"Welcome to the dark side.

The Black Album arrives on March 1st, 2019. Get your pre-order on with cassette, CD + vinyl

Orders will ship prior to the album release date and should arrive by then (3/1/19) but we can’t absolutely guarantee it for every order.

You'll receive a separate email to download "Can't Knock The Hustle" + "Zombie Bastards"

p.s. each order comes with your very own plastic spork (see “…Hustle” video). If you happen to receive a metal spork, aka the golden black ticket, you’ll get your very own vinyl test pressing of the album. There are ONLY 10 in the world.

Black / Clear Vinyl limited to 500

Clear with Black Splatter Vinyl  limited to  1500

Black Cloud Vinyl limited to 2000"

Unfortunately I could only get priority shipping at $11.67. I assume because the spork isn't media they can't offer media mail.

17 minutes ago, N8TRU1 said:

https://weezerwebstore.com/

Black Album pressing info so far

"Welcome to the dark side.

The Black Album arrives on March 1st, 2019. Get your pre-order on with cassette, CD + vinyl

Orders will ship prior to the album release date and should arrive by then (3/1/19) but we can’t absolutely guarantee it for every order.

You'll receive a separate email to download "Can't Knock The Hustle" + "Zombie Bastards"

p.s. each order comes with your very own plastic spork (see “…Hustle” video). If you happen to receive a metal spork, aka the golden black ticket, you’ll get your very own vinyl test pressing of the album. There are ONLY 10 in the world.

Black / Clear Vinyl limited to 500

Clear with Black Splatter Vinyl  limited to  1500

Black Cloud Vinyl limited to 2000"

Unfortunately I could only get priority shipping at $11.67. I assume because the spork isn't media they can't offer media mail.

*sigh*

Why must this be my favorite band? Ordered the /500 already. FML