The Weezer Thread

good lord these two songs are horrible. lyrically and musically some of the most cringeworthy stuff i have ever heard. each time i think they are making the worst stuff they have ever made, they go and make something even worse. fuck man. matt sharp is rolling over in his grave.

1 minute ago, jrodan said:

good lord these two songs are horrible. lyrically and musically some of the most cringeworthy stuff i have ever heard. each time i think they are making the worst stuff they have ever made, they go and make something even worse. fuck man. matt sharp is rolling over in his grave.

What blows my mind is that Rivers has always been so stressed about being "popular" and making music that does well commercially. Yet when they finally got a producer with a brain and went back to a more rock driven/pop rock sound with the White Album they get nominated for Rock Album of the Year at the Grammys!!!! Rivers - if you want to be considered cool - make more of that!! 

7 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

What blows my mind is that Rivers has always been so stressed about being "popular" and making music that does well commercially. Yet when they finally got a producer with a brain and went back to a more rock driven/pop rock sound with the White Album they get nominated for Rock Album of the Year at the Grammys!!!! Rivers - if you want to be considered cool - make more of that!! 

I view Rivers as a professional pop songwriter who was in a popular alt-rock band as a teenager. Except, instead of fading behind the scenes and professionally writing successful cookie cutter songs for Fall Out Boy and Maroon 5, etc., he performs and releases those songs using the same band name that his teenage nerd rock band used. I do think Green and Maladroit and some of Make Believe were born out of that 'detached songwriter' process but I feel that they were still sincere in trying to connect to what the band was. At some point, Rivers freed himself of that constraint of maintaining the Weezer identity and went full rogue. Unless the Black Album pulls an unexpected switcheroo, EWBAITE and White Album look like they'll go down as a weird aberration.

EWBAITE is interesting because it was co-written by a bunch of different folks who played in decent rock bands in the 2000s and it doesn't really sound like 'classic Weezer' but it's fun and varied. And it sounds like White was the result of the producer nudging Rivers to squeeze out some Weezer-like rock songs and commit to a rock focused production style for the recordings. All I can think of is that, like the rest of the music industry (Grammy nom aside), Rivers probably feels like straight up alternative rock music is dead and he did what he wanted to do with it 20+ years ago.

I lied about seeing y'all at the next record.

4 minutes ago, swb said:

All I can think of is that, like the rest of the music industry (Grammy nom aside), Rivers probably feels like straight up alternative rock music is dead and he did what he wanted to do with it 20+ years ago.

Agreed. 

4 minutes ago, swb said:

I lied about seeing y'all at the next record.

Haha!! My purpose of making you a liar is fulfilled!!!!

• 4 weeks later...