PO: Tim Hecker "Love Streams" 2LP on 4AD

I know that this was discussed in "Ambient, Experimental..." topic but this release deserves it's on thread.

http://www.4ad.com/releases/790

As the music has already leaked you can check it by your own. I'm not huge Tim Hecker fan. Some of his work is fabulous ("Ravedeath, 1972") other do not click for me at all. So I gave yesterday a try to "Love Streams" while waiting for a plane on Heathrow. Damn, that was great music experience. This record is like a modern building made out of concrete and glass. It's spacious, smooth, simple but with a lot of details and textures. I love it. Ordered the limited transparent vinyl as I got home. It's still available.

56a7557202bfa.jpg

A release worthy of its own thread, for sure.  A few points worth noting for anyone who didn't catch it in the ambient thread;

• Clear variant /500, sold through 4AD.  (Sold out?)

• Silver variant /300, sold through Paper Bag Records (Canada).

• Album leaked the same day it was announced.

I still think this album is very different from a lot of his work – it is beneficial to readjust your expectations, if you're expecting Ravedeath II or Ultraviolet 2.0.  OP's description of it is pretty accurate, I think.

Click the link from my first post. Then "Buy it from 4AD store". It still says "In Stock" and I've tried that few seconds ago.

I just checked, and only the black LPs are in stock and able to be added to the cart.  In my browser, the line where the colored vinyl previously resided is bare, minus some red Out of stock text.

Just ordered the more limited silver variant and thanks to the Canadian dollar being shit, it was only $27ppd. Jah bless crumbling economies.

Yeah, not a bad deal at all, shipping from Canada.  I think it's just as cheap (if not a buck cheaper) than 4AD's variant was.  But.  Silver.

Okay, maybe it allows me cause I've oredered it? Sorry in that case.

I've ordered it as well, but it's still showing out of stock for me.  No idea what's going on, but I think it's safe to say they're gone.

I just ordered the clear variant without a problem. Says it's in stock and let me check out, no questions asked. 

Interesting.  Glad you were able to score one.  I think there were only ~240 or so in the webstore the morning that the link was posted on VC, initially, and they seemed to dwindle before the day was over.  Sounds like you may have gotten one of the last ones.

I'll take a nice opaque silver over clear for sure. Especially at a cheaper price (4ad would be more expensive). I have plenty of clear records. Opaque silver is much less represented in my collection. Stoked.

To each his own, I suppose.  My clear-to-silver ratio is pretty steep in my collection, too, but I still prefer the best aesthetically-matching vinyl with my jackets and album art.  Rarity be damned.  Can't argue with saving a few bucks, though.  4AD has always been pretty fairly priced, but this release is nearing my threshold for hesitation while reaching for the wallet.  The Hobby™.  Or whatever.

[edit]

I feel like there are varying degrees of "silver" out there.  I'm eager to see how yours turns out.  Hopefully you can snag a photo for the thread.

I had the same thought, but it just seems like a weird thing to do..

If there was approximately 250 available for pre-order in the U.S. as soon as the link went live, perhaps they allocated their total stock right down the middle, to give everyone a fair chance?  Seems plausible.  I'm surprised Hecker has such a following here in the states.

Interesting.  Glad you were able to score one.  I think there were only ~240 or so in the webstore the morning that the link was posted on VC, initially, and they seemed to dwindle before the day was over.  Sounds like you may have gotten one of the last ones.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I am confident on ignoring the leak and waiting until I have the record in hand to fully dive into it. It doesn't necessarily compensate missing out on the clear variant of 'Virgins', but it's a start for sure.

If there was approximately 250 available for pre-order in the U.S. as soon as the link went live, perhaps they allocated their total stock right down the middle, to give everyone a fair chance?  Seems plausible.  I'm surprised Hecker has such a following here in the states.

The way you phrase it, it does seem plausible.

I had the same thought, but it just seems like a weird thing to do..

Yeah, it's odd.  That's the only thing I can think of though.  I'm fairly certain Matador handles US distribution for 4AD, that's who I'm charged by anyway.  I'm guessing someone different (possibly 4AD themselves) handles EU.  The site might handle EU/US orders different, possibly pulling from a different inventory.

There are clear and coke-bottle green variants of Virgins, right?  I assume that between the two of them, a colored copy wouldn't be too difficult to track down if you were really after one.

There's still plenty copies floating around, so 'missing out' is a tad misleading. I do have a black copy that's absolutely flawless and even reasonably priced clear copies become too much to bear with shipping costs added. So there's a fair chance to acquire a copy, but it's not a reasonable thing to do.