PO: Tim Hecker "Love Streams" 2LP on 4AD

What an absolute piece of fucking shit. I normally don't get all too riled up on the forums but this kid is complete VC cancer in the form of a dorky entitled teenager. Probably nothing to be concerned about, you're right, but I can't help it. I wish he'd fuck off and stick to his bootlegs of shitty commercial hip-hop. No idea why his tastes would bring him into a drone thread in the first place – but I am indeed pleased that he's nonplussed by Love Streams (and a few other quality releases as of late). It makes it all the more obvious he has zero clue – I just wish he'd keep his slimy, tasteless paws off releases like this one so that folks with decent tastes in interesting music wouldn't have to pay triple the price.

Honestly, I know this is a little extreme... but please die in a fire, Halo.

100% 1 up.

Tim Hecker and Prurient at the Warsaw in Brooklyn April 14th!!!

They're both very good live.  Should be an interesting show, Prurient was really aggressive last time I saw him.

Been through this record twice now and I definitely dig it.  I hear bits little dashes of what sounds like OPN early in the record (which isn't a bad thing).  The songs on the C side really stick out to me, especially the one with the female vocals.

I haven't listened to any of this yet. I recently moved and the USPS didn't forward this package to my new address like they have with a few other packages. So, it's somewhere in limbo currently. I talked to someone on the phone and they're looking into it. Hopefully I get it eventually...

Hecker has some of the most unfortunate releases on vinyl. They have no continuity and the album flow is completely disregarded, simply to spread it over four sides. The worst is probably Ravedeath - they hacked that one to fucking pieces. 

And now this, Love Streams has roughly 10 minutes per side. Fucking ridiculous; whoever decided this should be shot, even if it's him. 

Hecker has some of the most unfortunate releases on vinyl. They have no continuity and the album flow is completely disregarded, simply to spread it over four sides. The worst is probably Ravedeath - they hacked that one to fucking pieces. 

And now this, Love Streams has roughly 10 minutes per side. Fucking ridiculous; whoever decided this should be shot, even if it's him. 

That's the major reason putting me off from buying his records. Some of the songs are cut abruptly in the middle of what would be a seamless transition on the CD. Ravedeath is amazing digitally but the tracklist on vinyl looks completely nonsensical, same with Love Streams. I wish whoever decided on the pressings thought of the tracklist continuity a little better. At least the D side of Ravedeath is all three parts of In The Air, but they cut in the middle of Hatred Of Music and In The Fog when they absolutely did not have to.

I can understand that, just voicing a frustration. Will probably buy Love Streams at some point or another, but point is, it could have been distributed more efficiently than 11 min side A, 11 min side B, 9.5 min side C and 10.5 min side D. Hecker's music is best indulged, for me, with the longest uninterrupted breaks as possible, since it tends to flow into itself. Of course, a 22 side A and 21 side B isn't great sound wise, but maybe a 3-sided compromise could have been achieved. Who knows. Just a little pet peeve.

It's a valid peeve. Ambient and drone benefits from continuous play more than any other genre, in my opinion. I feel like I get where you're coming from, and I can very well relate to the conundrum considering the amount of Hecker records I personally own. A few artists actually rearrange their tracklists for optimal vinyl playback – Swans' last two records immediately come to mind. But even then, you have people raising a fuss about the tracklist being out of order and making the album feel "off". Sometimes there is no winning with the impracticality of vinyl, I suppose.

I can understand that, just voicing a frustration. Will probably buy Love Streams at some point or another, but point is, it could have been distributed more efficiently than 11 min side A, 11 min side B, 9.5 min side C and 10.5 min side D. Hecker's music is best indulged, for me, with the longest uninterrupted breaks as possible, since it tends to flow into itself. Of course, a 22 side A and 21 side B isn't great sound wise, but maybe a 3-sided compromise could have been achieved. Who knows. Just a little pet peeve.

haha when I spun it I was like what the hell am I listening to!? This explains it

haha when I spun it I was like what the hell am I listening to!? This explains it

So you bought 3 copies because you thought the tracks were in a different order and/or played through like an album stream? Because that was not the case, it becomes "what the hell am I listening to?", time to go sell my 3 copies on discogs.

You are an idiot.

I hate to say but this is vinyl. Tracklists on both "Ravedeath, 1972" and "Love Streams" and same on CD and LP. Would you expect artist to plan split for vinyl sides during the act of music making? That would mean that the vinyl is more important than the content on it.

experimental and ambient musicians released music on vinyl for years. it's not unavoidable to make a sensible vinyl tracklisting based on your composition.

So you bought 3 copies because you thought the tracks were in a different order and/or played through like an album stream? Because that was not the case, it becomes "what the hell am I listening to?", time to go sell my 3 copies on discogs.

You are an idiot.

I bought one to keep and 2 for my Discogs store :D

Agree 100% - this is totally valid, especially for this type of music and format.