PO || Repress of The Angelic Process ‎– Weighing Souls With Sand

andi

I'm trying to suppress my excitement of hearing your initial thoughts after that first listen... even though that's a couple of months out. For me, midway through the album I was already scrambling over Discogs and eBay searches to check the record's availability. When I discovered its rarity and going-rates, I was pretty crushed. Not as heavily or enjoyably as I was from the album permeating my headphones, but crushed nonetheless.

In somehow related news, 'Coma Waering' is still available via retail for super cheap, in case someone's in need. Just ordered a copy locally and paid 12 bucks. I'll put it on hold though and wait for 'Weighing Souls' to arrive. I'll see what the other one has to offer after fully digesting the latter.

In somehow related news, 'Coma Waering' is still available via retail for super cheap, in case someone's in need. Just ordered a copy locally and paid 12 bucks. I'll put it on hold though and wait for 'Weighing Souls' to arrive. I'll see what the other one has to offer after fully digesting the latter.

'Weighing' is much much better than 'Coma', but both are pretty damn special.

• 4 weeks later...

Shit totally missed this the first time round, still copies available though so thanks for the bump people. Picked up an orange copy, got a plain black copy of Coma Waering already and it is gorgeous. I've been flirting with picking up a discogs copy of this for like two years....

Wow. Is the gatefold glossy like the first press?

I don't have a first press, but I'd call it pretty glossy.  The gold turned out amazing – I love how it's got a bit of translucency when held up to the light, but otherwise looks super opaque and gold.  Like a few of the recent "metallic" pressings I've seen (Wild Nothing's Life Of Pause comes to mind), there's a really cool "wave" that ripples out from the center label, making it look like there's textures and shadows inside the record.  Not unlike some sand waves, a la the album title.  It's kind of perfect, and I'm a big fan.

dMjYHEe.png

So how does it sound?

Without condemning the entire pressing, my gold copy is not great. Very noisy with lots of cracks and pops during the loud parts and some steady background hiss on the right channel on all sides. I washed it two times already, but will be sure to give it a third go.

With that being said, after experiencing these (minor, really) disturbances I ordered a black copy via my local that is supposed to arrive today. I'll let you know.

Without condemning the entire pressing, my gold copy is not great. Very noisy with lots of cracks and pops during the loud parts and some steady background hiss on the right channel on all sides. I washed it two times already, but will be sure to give it a third go.

With that being said, after experiencing these (minor, really) disturbances I ordered a black copy via my local that is supposed to arrive today. I'll let you know.

These are similar complaints that I have heard from the Coma Waering color pressing.

My gold is quite noisey to be honest. Let me know how you get on with the black.

Did you clean it before spinning it? To heighten the sandy theme and aesthetic, my copy was audibly gritty as I took the records out of the sleeve. Unsure if it's just the gold copies, but there was a good bit of dust on mine. Not unlike a Pirate Press haze variant, honestly.

My gold is quite noisey to be honest. Let me know how you get on with the black.

It got noticeably better with another cleaning, but it still is one of the noisier records I own. The black copy has been thoroughly tested without sporting any issues of notice. It's most definitely going to be the one I'll return to more often.

Do you clean it before spinning it? To heighten the sandy theme and aesthetic, my copy was audibly gritty as I took the records out of the sleeve. Unsure if it's just the gold copies, but there was a good bit of dust on mine. Not unlike a Pirate Press haze variant, honestly.

I've had the same experience with both the gold and the black copy. They'll never see the inside of those sleeves again, I had to promise.

Also, Derek, I started working on a write-up for this. I'm sure it will get out of hand (it already did, honestly..), but it'll take a week or two more to be wrapped up. I had already finished a good dozen lines ready to be posted, but I figured it would be more fun to let this album fully sink in and not go all Gumbo on it.

It got noticeably better with another cleaning, but it still is one of the noisier records I own. The black copy has been thoroughly tested without sporting any issues of notice. It's most definitely going to be the one I'll return to more often.

I've had the same experience with both the gold and the black copy. They'll never see the inside of those sleeves again, I had to promise.

Also, Derek, I started working on a write-up for this. I'm sure it will get out of hand (it already did, honestly..), but it'll take a week or two more to be wrapped up. I had already finished a good dozen lines ready to be posted, but I figured it would be more fun to let this album fully sink in and not go all Gumbo on it.

"Go all Gumbo on it"

Hahaha... Gumbo is a verb