Say Anything - I Don't Think It Is

3arl

Wait...so Max (presumably via Darren) got to "bounce ideas off of" Kanye for this album?

I don't know enough about Kanye to know certainly, but that's what it sounds like. 

I have to say, popular opinion aside, I REALLY like the first few songs I've heard. This is certainly the Death Grips of Say Anything albums. I will be buying this for sure. It may not be IARB, but I'm not the 18 year old I was then either. 

THIS

Really, it's true about a lot of records. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to things related to the music I love. 

Even if Max aimed to make another IARB or IDOTG, it would never be the same because we're not; nor is Max the same. 

Some of you are going to hate it just because you don't like it, and that's 100% okay, but I urge anyone who couldn't get past the first track to just give it one solid run through. There are some solid tracks in here.

Did anyone who hated the first song keep going? I'm only on the second track but in typical Max fashion, the song is wildly different then the track just before it. I dig the second song a lot more than the first already and glad I didn't shut it off after the first track.

Just keep going. It gets better, then different, but remains interesting. 

First impressions as I approach the final track: this could easily be my favorite Say Anything album. No joke. I've loved this band for a long time, but this is some next level shit. I love it. 

I couldn't stomach the first track but I'll give the full album a listen later since $40 is backing it so hard

It depends on what your interests are. Again, you may hate it, but I really like it. I also like the Goo Goo Dolls, Coheed and Cambria, The Postal Service, and Modest Mouse. I'm all over the place. 

Definitely do listen though. If you don't like a track, skip it. :D

i'm largely opposed to "empowerment" songs mostly because they're typically so corny. "we don't give a damn what they say" -- i think that qualifies. super corny.

the songwriting sincerely feels less intricate and thoughtful than it did dating back to the self-titled and first painful splits. not that songs need to be intricate, but, i don't know, dynamic, maybe? say anything has always been stylistically dynamic, yes, given he experiments from album to album. but that doesn't necessarily make the actual songwriting dynamic. "give a damn" is a good exemplification. just not dynamic at all.

I have to say, I pre-ordered this record without listening to anything and I'm glad I did. The first track isn't that great, but not bad either in my opinion, but it really doesn't represent the rest of the album well AT ALL. The album is full of these gorgeous twinkley, math rockey guitar riffs (which I am an absolute sucker for) but then you also have songs like "Goshua" that sound very electronic/techno influenced and I think they're great too!

There are a handful of songs on Hebrews I like better than the songs on this album, but as a complete product I enjoy this album much more. I can definitely say it's my favorite record of theirs with the exception of Is A Real Boy.