Say Anything - I Don't Think It Is

3arl

Sounds baseball-esque. 

I've hated everything this band has made since IARB. Enjoying this a ton!

Well, there ya go! Someone who hated everything since the breakthrough album loves it! It is the new IARB. :D

I already preordered in hopes that it'll arrive from EVR/ MerchNow sometime before Spring of 2018! 

Jumped on the EVR pre-order to get the instant download and honestly kind of assumed it was the only variant. I'm also curious if the download card with the 4 bonus tracks is an EVR exclusive or if that's going in every jacket. Either way, I don't mind giving Max & co. my hard earned $20 for a variant that fits the artwork and album well enough.

I agree, but at the same time I know those songs were all produced pretty lo-fi, so the quality certainly wouldn't be there. But I'd still buy it for the general vinyl experience. Also because I'm a sucker and need every SA release.

Also it would be awesome to have By Tonight on vinyl for... reasons...

Keep going. 

I disagree about the artwork; it's very "here's a couple of demos we've been working on's picture on Bandcamp"-looking.

Not serious at all about the artwork. It's awful.

Maybe I'm just an idiot but all I can find is a youtube video for the first song, which I hated. Where is the full stream? I don't really use spotify, is it streaming anywhere?

First listen, I was SEVERELY disappointed. 

Five listens, I am in love with it (minus maybe the first song).

It's the first time since IDOTG, in my opinion, that he doesn't seem like he's letting some idea of "the fans want ISARB part 2" get to him and totally guide his creativity, and, by how extremely weird and different this record is, it really paid off. I think this LP shows the kind of record that Max actually wants to make and I'm really enjoying it. Do I agree with the production decisions? Eh... But man, there are some solid riffs on this that I  happily welcome back.

1. ISARB

2. IDOTG

3. IDTII

4-tie. S/T

4-tie. Baseball

6. Hebrews

7. Anarchy

The I-Only-Liked-Them-When-Max-Was-High Fans:

S/T - "Too mainstream. Too overproduced."

Anarchy - "Too soft. Too underproduced."

Hebrews - "Too weird. Too overproduced."

IDTII - "Too hard. Too underproduced."

...Maybe Max just has eclectic tastes and likes putting out records that experiment with different vibes?

Nahhhh.

...Maybe Max just has eclectic tastes and likes putting out records that experiment with different vibes?

Nahhhh.

Just because dude is weird and likes making weird music doesn't mean people HAVE to like it. Opinions and all that.

Note: I have no opinion on any Say Anything album. They all just exist.

Nahhhh.

yeah, if there's one thing we can't fault him for, it's for trying new things and following his heart rather than the hearts of his fans. kind of an interesting career trajectory for a guy who had it all after IARB.

and for what it's worth (so, nothing), i really liked S/T. but hated anarchy. i think it's incredibly boring -- by say anything's standards, yes, but also any band's standards