Say Anything - I Don't Think It Is

3arl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/1/2016 at 7:50 PM, drtomoe123 said:

Went back to this record tonight and realized it's the best thing since IARB

I've tried to give it a couple listens and couldn't place what it was I didn't like until last night. I finally figured out that I really don't like Max's screamy/raspy vocals against the clean or jangly guitars and think it really clashes. Just my opinion though, so it doesn't really matter.

On 5/3/2016 at 7:53 AM, Issei Hyoudou said:

I've tried to give it a couple listens and couldn't place what it was I didn't like until last night. I finally figured out that I really don't like Max's screamy/raspy vocals against the clean or jangly guitars and think it really clashes. Just my opinion though, so it doesn't really matter.

max kind of brought that vibe into a few "and the painful splits" songs and those were the ones i typically didn't like. i think i agree with you... i'm just not super into that sound. i can appreciate what he's doing here, though.

Just got mine in. Opaque blue is the same as the repress of Hop Along's Get Disowned. Fits the artwork pretty well. Though, speaking of which, the cover reaches a new level of awful at full 12" size (I get the cover, I really do, but it just doesn't work as an album cover).

Listening to the bonus tracks now, then will be spinning the record. I'm digging them, I was expecting some demos/alt versions of the album cuts, but they ended up being a series of low-key original tracks called Slip, Slit, Slick, and Spit. They have a bit of a Painful Splits vibe, but I enjoy them more than I usually enjoy the PS tracks. I should also mention they all together come up short of 7 minutes and Spit is instrumental, so don't be expecting an EP worth.

Mid-spin update: I know this album is kinda lo-fi in general, but this pressing sounds great so far. Really enjoyable listen.

Give A Damn video

“The idea for the video was to explore the nature of growing to dislike or resent your favorite band over time because they no longer tie directly into your past experience of them,” Bemis tells EW in an email exchange. “This happens with every band who has made more than one album and amassed any kind of fanbase. It’s certainly been the case with us at times. I tend to address this kind of thing directly, knowing it’s a very interesting, utterly silly phenomenon.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/11/say-anything-give-damn-music-video

1 hour ago, AdventureIsOutThere said:

Give A Damn video

“The idea for the video was to explore the nature of growing to dislike or resent your favorite band over time because they no longer tie directly into your past experience of them,” Bemis tells EW in an email exchange. “This happens with every band who has made more than one album and amassed any kind of fanbase. It’s certainly been the case with us at times. I tend to address this kind of thing directly, knowing it’s a very interesting, utterly silly phenomenon.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/11/say-anything-give-damn-music-video

STOP FUCKING MOCKING ME MAX AND GIVE ME IARB TWO. GOD DAMN

(i kinda bonded with the new album and it's pretty cool tho)

21 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

Yeah max spiral back into a crazy depression, so that you can make IARB again....who cares about the hapiness you have found with your wife and daughters, we just want you to sing about phone sex again.

What's a WARB? That never happened. No phone sex song. shhhhhh

Yeah, fuck Max's well being. I am willing to make that sacrifice for the greater good. /s

Real talk though, he can do something musically similar without whatever mental issues.

44 minutes ago, Issei Hyoudou said:

Real talk though, he can do something musically similar without whatever mental issues.

Just because he can...doesn't mean he wants to.

Also if you read any of the books he writes now, they are much more in tone with the new music he writes.

AKA he is grown up and isn't the same person any more!

Thank good people don't bitch that I don't act exactly like I did 20 years ago when I was in high school.

19 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

Just because he can...doesn't mean he wants to.

Also if you read any of the books he writes now, they are much more in tone with the new music he writes.

AKA he is grown up and isn't the same person any more!

Thank good people don't bitch that I don't act exactly like I did 20 years ago when I was in high school.

My initial comment was made in jest. I really enjoy IARB but am pretty lukewarm towards the rest of their material. I can't tell him what to write but I can keep hoping for another one that sounds like that.