Discographer (for Discogs): A record collecting app

downloaded and am trying it out.... is there a way to search my collection? I can't find it. Whenever i search it searches discogs, not my collection specifically. 

Yes if you go into your collection screen (same for your wantlist) there is a input field at the top that says 'Filter collection'. Just start typing in there and it automatically starts filtering your collection bellow. It checks for the title, artist, label, catno, format (and in the next version your collection field notes). 

It would be nice if you could incorporate the "random item" option from the site into the search function. I like to use the random item button to choose records to listen to.

If you go into your collection and then click the three dots in the top right to open the menu, one of the items is a 'random item' button that will choose a random release from your collection. 

Good app, but the first artist i looked at had a lot of missing info on his page, (said he had no releases or anything on market, when he does),  plus visible code. But everything else seemed to work well. 

Hm that's strange. Which artist was it? 

Minor complaint: When I sort my collection (say by artist instead of title) and click on something, when I hit back it removes the sort. Same thing when I go back to the "home page" and then return to my collection. My sort is gone

:edit: this only seems to happen sometimes, not every time

Thought I was already using this, but apparently I had an app called "Discography" not "Discographer" - yours feels like an upgrade. The estimated worth of collection is a nice touch, even if it makes me feel REALLY gross about how much I've spent on records over the past few years...

Yes if you go into your collection screen (same for your wantlist) there is a input field at the top that says 'Filter collection'. Just start typing in there and it automatically starts filtering your collection bellow. It checks for the title, artist, label, catno, format (and in the next version your collection field notes).

Ok. I got that. Thanx.

It only searches titles though right. So, as an example,if I go to my collection and search the beatles it brings up all my Beatles records, but it doesn't bring up all the albums I have that have Beatles songs on them.

I may use this app in a pinch. I can use it offline, so that's handy, as long as I keep it synced to my list.

Minor complaint: When I sort my collection (say by artist instead of title) and click on something, when I hit back it removes the sort. Same thing when I go back to the "home page" and then return to my collection. My sort is gone

:edit: this only seems to happen sometimes, not every time

Ok thanks for letting me know, I'll look into it. 

By the way, if you're sorting your list the same way every time, you can go into the settings and choose a default sorting method, and it should always open that up when you start the app. 

Awesome, thanks for pointing out the random item option. I'll buy the ad-free version very soon to help support your operation.

Cool, thank you, and I'm glad that you like the app. 

Thought I was already using this, but apparently I had an app called "Discography" not "Discographer" - yours feels like an upgrade. The estimated worth of collection is a nice touch, even if it makes me feel REALLY gross about how much I've spent on records over the past few years...

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. And yes, I've gotten that feeling as well! But you can always look at is as an investment ;) But honestly, it's just a value that's based on previous sales history, and all of the time as well as sentimental and emotional value that has gone into it is surely much greater. 

Ok. I got that. Thanx.

It only searches titles though right. So, as an example,if I go to my collection and search the beatles it brings up all my Beatles records, but it doesn't bring up all the albums I have that have Beatles songs on them.

I may use this app in a pinch. I can use it offline, so that's handy, as long as I keep it synced to my list.

No that's true, it doesn't go that deep as to filter out credits on that level unfortunately, but that's a limitation on the amount of data that Discogs provides for the collection. There's several lot of those little things, for example I had to spend a lot of time and energy on finding a workaround for the fact that Discogs doesn't provide information about when the items were added to collection/wantlists so that I could sort after it. 

Edit: If you really want to accieve something like this, you can go into the beatles then list all of their credits, and it should show an indicator on every item that you have in your collection/wantlist/inventory/list. 

Must have been a site/phone error, seems fine now.

Ah good. Unfortunately the Discogs api server isn't always playing nicely, which there isn't much to do anything about. I've built in several attempts to fix this problem by retrying and things like that, but it's not always possible to remedy unfortunately. 

Hi. I've now released a new update for my app Discographer - for Discogs (1.3.4) with these changes: 

- You can now view your friends list. Screenshot: http://imgur.com/10ExI59.png

- You can view others user profiles. Screenshot: http://imgur.com/r9We594.png

- View others collections/wantlists. Screenshot: http://imgur.com/W7MEKJD.png

- View others buyer/seller ratings.

- Sign in on multiple devices (profile settings). Screenshot: http://imgur.com/FVTzEbj.png

- Adjusted the layouts for the grid-views. Screenshot: http://imgur.com/qBlzFIC.png

- New setting for default view type (list/grid). Screenshot: http://imgur.com/0QvDlmi.png

- Filtering by collection & wantlist notes.

- Improved purchase handling.

- New widget to search Discogs. Screenshot: http://imgur.com/YtKHo49.png

- New widget to scroll collection.

- Fixed a bug with the collection notes.

- More Bug fixes and small adjustments.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems with it. 

I've been trying out the app for a couple of days now and just removed the ads - you've done some great work! Very intuitive and easy to use.

One quick suggestion: it would be great if one could select more than one message to mark them as read, delete them, etc.

Thanks, glad you like it. 

Yes I want to improve the message handling a lot more, but unfortunately it's not really possible using the Discogs API at all. I've already had to do a lot of circumventing it just to get the messages into the app to begin with, and doing more with them is unfortunately very difficult. Just something like replying to messages is almost impossible to handle directly from within the app, but I am looking into that type of stuff for the future. But I don't have any high hopes of getting much more functionality out of the messages unfortunately. 

I will definitely have to look into this. I am looking for a few rare records that only pop up on discogs every few months and even though I have it on my wantlist it must have been gone before i knew. So being able to check on the go will be great. Or if its not for that use I will still check it out just to see what your app is all about sounds like you put a lot of time and effort into it and I appreciate that.

iOs user here. I use an app called Discollector. It isn't pretty (and I think it's a paid app), but it does everything I need—scanning bar codes, searching titles, organizing/adding titles to my collection. I think Discogs has been working on an official app. Not sure how good it'll be.

I will definitely have to look into this. I am looking for a few rare records that only pop up on discogs every few months and even though I have it on my wantlist it must have been gone before i knew. So being able to check on the go will be great. Or if its not for that use I will still check it out just to see what your app is all about sounds like you put a lot of time and effort into it and I appreciate that.

Cool, check it out and let me know what you think, and if you have any problems or questions about it. 

A tip is that you add it to your wantlist, and then check your notification settings on Discogs.com so that you get an email every time an item in your wantlist is added for sale. That way you get notification messages when it happens on Discogs (as well as in the app then). 

Cool, check it out and let me know what you think, and if you have any problems or questions about it. 

A tip is that you add it to your wantlist, and then check your notification settings on Discogs.com so that you get an email every time an item in your wantlist is added for sale. That way you get notification messages when it happens on Discogs (as well as in the app then). 

Yeah I checked my notification settings and I have even gotten an email for a different item on my wantlist but never ended up getting one for this, I wonder if it was gone before they sent an email, but still sounds strange, hopefully I get one next time. 

I checked it out earlier and it is a really great app thank you. I have a few questions about it though. As I mentioned above about the wantlist notifications, is there a way to get notifications on my phone the second an item is available for sale on my wantlist? I know I have it set for email, but would the app be able to notify me as well?

Next question, I find that record store map feature really great, but this may be out of your control since I believe you use a separate database for it, but is there a way to check if record stores have stock of any specific records, like an inventory system? If not (which i would not be surprised if there was not) I saw there were descriptions when you click on each one but is there a way to filter between stores by general genre or specialty etc. Ex: Looking for reggae records would bring up more prominent record stores which carry a lot, same with punk/edm/any genre etc. I feel that would  be a great feature because my local record store carries a lot but for example there Reggae and Dance sections are lacking, but if I was able to see a different record store 20 miles away has a larger selection in those genres if I was ever looking I would check them out as well. May be too large but felt did not hurt to bring up.

But so far I really enjoyed the app very easy to navigate, and you can open up the full discogs web page right from listings to see how many were for sale. Good work on the app I like it.

what would it take to write some album cover recognition software? is anyone doing that? more than half my collection is barcode-less. 

That is something that I've had in mind, but haven't had time to start with yet. I'm not sure I'll be able to get it to work, but hopefully I might be able to get something like that to work, but it's a huge project so I have no idea if I will. 

Thanks for the head up: that's one perfect app. Congratulations!

Thank you very much, glad you like it. 

Yeah I checked my notification settings and I have even gotten an email for a different item on my wantlist but never ended up getting one for this, I wonder if it was gone before they sent an email, but still sounds strange, hopefully I get one next time. 

I checked it out earlier and it is a really great app thank you. I have a few questions about it though. As I mentioned above about the wantlist notifications, is there a way to get notifications on my phone the second an item is available for sale on my wantlist? I know I have it set for email, but would the app be able to notify me as well?

Next question, I find that record store map feature really great, but this may be out of your control since I believe you use a separate database for it, but is there a way to check if record stores have stock of any specific records, like an inventory system? If not (which i would not be surprised if there was not) I saw there were descriptions when you click on each one but is there a way to filter between stores by general genre or specialty etc. Ex: Looking for reggae records would bring up more prominent record stores which carry a lot, same with punk/edm/any genre etc. I feel that would  be a great feature because my local record store carries a lot but for example there Reggae and Dance sections are lacking, but if I was able to see a different record store 20 miles away has a larger selection in those genres if I was ever looking I would check them out as well. May be too large but felt did not hurt to bring up.

But so far I really enjoyed the app very easy to navigate, and you can open up the full discogs web page right from listings to see how many were for sale. Good work on the app I like it.

Unfortunately it relies on the Discogs notifications to do so, but I have something in mind that might make that possible. But it's just in the planning stages now and a long time ahead right now. 

And no, since I there is no way to connect a record store to a Discogs seller directly then I can't display their inventory. It's a very good idea, but not possible however. 

And thank you :)

I just updated my app Discographer - for Discogs to version 1.3.5 with these changes: 

- Completely new folder management.

- Ability to send messages to other users.

- Sorting & sharing others collections/wantlists.

- View friends activity in your friends list.

- Performance and code optimization.

- Can view random wantlist item.

- Improved profile text handling.

- Improved barcode scanning results.

- More bug fixes and adjustments.

Screenshots can be viewed here: http://imgur.com/a/j4FEE 

Let me know if you have any questions or problems with it. 

Best regards,

Andreas

My record collecting app (Discographer for Discogs) has been updated to 1.4.0 with a bunch of changes: 

- Ability to scan album artwork to search Discogs (experimental feature).

- Many changes to the barcode scanner.

- New automatic background syncing.

- Previously viewed items list. Screenshot: http://imgur.com/Cgt3asI.png

- New setting to select default folder. Screenshot: http://imgur.com/0kFCsD2.png

- Default sorting works for others' collections/wantlists.

- Improved how the folder sorting works.

- Don't ask which folder to add release if there's just one.

- Improved logging into other devices.

- Improved a few animations.

- Upgraded Google support libraries.

- Many more adjustments and bugfixes.

I hope you'll like it. and let me know if you have any questions or problems with it and I'll do my best to help. 

Best regards

My record collecting app (Discographer for Discogs) has been updated to 1.4.0 with a bunch of changes: 

- Ability to scan album artwork to search Discogs (experimental feature).

- Many changes to the barcode scanner.

- New automatic background syncing.

- Previously viewed items list. Screenshot: http://imgur.com/Cgt3asI.png

- New setting to select default folder. Screenshot: http://imgur.com/0kFCsD2.png

- Default sorting works for others' collections/wantlists.

- Improved how the folder sorting works.

- Don't ask which folder to add release if there's just one.

- Improved logging into other devices.

- Improved a few animations.

- Upgraded Google support libraries.

- Many more adjustments and bugfixes.

I hope you'll like it. and let me know if you have any questions or problems with it and I'll do my best to help. 

You can get it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.andreasdahl.discographer

Best regards

Nice! Thanks for regularly updating the app!