Discographer (for Discogs): A record collecting app

Nice! Thanks for regularly updating the app!

No problem, glad you like it. 

I used this app for about a minute until the ads got annoying and realized the mobile site works better IMO.

If you want to try it without the apps you can send me your discogs username and I'll make it so that your account doesn't have the ads for the next version of the app. 

I feel the same way. I know I can obviously purchase the app, but I don't see the benefit of it over the actual website.

Same for you if you want to try it without the ads send me your discogs username and I'll be happy to let you try it without. I've tried to pack as many features and such into it as possible, but if there's any more you would like to see then let me know. 

I just downloaded the app, looks like it'll replace the one I used to use.

Bonus points for paying to get rid of the ads!

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. 

Let me know if you have any questions or problems with it and I'll be happy to help. 

I think it's great. As someone who works for an app company, the ads are just something you need to deal with in the mobile space if you want to survive. 

Random minor bug, the 'A' at the top of my collection after sorting by 'Artist' disappears. Steps to reproduce:

1) Go to 'Collection'

2) Sort my Artist (a-Z)

3) Go to 'Wantlist'

4) Go back to 'Collection'

Note that the list is still sorted by artist but the 'A' is no longer present. 

Only other recommendation is that there is a ton of negative space on the 'Home' page. I'm on a Nexus 5 and the ad cuts off the text for synchronization and unread messages. Personally, I'd like to see those options and their associated text (i.e., how many unread messages) above the fold, even on the free version. 

Either way, great job!

I think it's great. As someone who works for an app company, the ads are just something you need to deal with in the mobile space if you want to survive. 

Random minor bug, the 'A' at the top of my collection after sorting by 'Artist' disappears. Steps to reproduce:

1) Go to 'Collection'

2) Sort my Artist (a-Z)

3) Go to 'Wantlist'

4) Go back to 'Collection'

Note that the list is still sorted by artist but the 'A' is no longer present. 

Only other recommendation is that there is a ton of negative space on the 'Home' page. I'm on a Nexus 5 and the ad cuts off the text for synchronization and unread messages. Personally, I'd like to see those options and their associated text (i.e., how many unread messages) above the fold, even on the free version. 

Either way, great job!

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into the bugs and see what I can do. 

Let me know if you find any more. 

Been meaning to leave a 5 star review for this. So far really enjoying it OP.

Thank you very much, glad you like it. 

I've updated my record collecting app (Discographer for Discogs) for Android to 1.4.1. Here's the changes: 

- Several improvements to the scanner.
- Much improved background synchronization.
- New setting for background sync frequency.
- Big performance & stability improvements.
- Display track numbers on credits (if any).
- Fixed two bugs that caused the app to crash.
- Include scan results in viewed items history.
- Added more format info for releases.
- Layout changes for tablets.
- Improvements to the login flow.
- Many bug fixes and small adjustments.

I hope you'll like it. Let me know if you have any questions or problems with it and I'll do my best to help. 

Best regards

thanks for the continuous updates. i've been using the app to update my collection recently and it's been a great help.

three more suggestions:

1) when searching for a release it would be helpful to have a "C" displayed next to the master release if the record is in one's collection already (just as it is the case when browsing the master releases of an artist outside of the search function)

2) can you make adding two copies of one release into the collection possible? that use case probably doesn't happen that often but i had to jump over to the website twice because i had two copies of one release.

3) would bug/crash reports be helpful for you? i've had the app crash on me a few times. i'm not sure why, though. the app just froze (the notification bar was still active)... it looked a little like there was not enough memory to process.

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. 

1) when searching for a release it would be helpful to have a "C" displayed next to the master release if the record is in one's collection already (just as it is the case when browsing the master releases of an artist outside of the search function)

It's a good suggestion. I'll look into it for 

2) can you make adding two copies of one release into the collection possible? that use case probably doesn't happen that often but i had to jump over to the website twice because i had two copies of one release.

I'm not sure if I want to add it as it might make it confusing to the user. But I will write it down and see if I can find a good way of doing it. 

3) would bug/crash reports be helpful for you? i've had the app crash on me a few times. i'm not sure why, though. the app just froze (the notification bar was still active)... it looked a little like there was not enough memory to process.

Yes that would help a lot. In the latest version I solved the two major bugs that have been reported in regards to crashing, so give it a go again and see if you can replicate it. In that case crash reports would be great so that I can look into fixing it. 

Thank you for your feedback. 

How about the ability to view only LPs, rather than CDs and Cassettes toowhen viewing a master release. Some LPs have soooo releases.

Hi, it's actually already possible today. If you type in LP at the filter field at the top of that screen it'll show you that. 

It's also possible to use that to filter by country, title, catno, format, label and year. 

thanks for the continuous updates. i've been using the app to update my collection recently and it's been a great help.

three more suggestions:

I finished adding this functionality now and it'll be included in the next version of the app (1.4.2). Keep an eye out for it and let me know what you think. 

When viewing the master release page, I can filter out the Cassettes and CDs? I'll have to check again. Thanks

Yes exactly, it'll look something like this then: http://i.imgur.com/jrXJ1yF.png 

I finished adding this functionality now and it'll be included in the next version of the app (1.4.2). Keep an eye out for it and let me know what you think. 

Thanks!

I just sent you a pm with details on the crash I've encountered. I originally thought of automatic crash reports that can be sent from the app directly to you including details on the error and the device specs. I'm sure the app creates some sort of log files?

Thanks!

I just sent you a pm with details on the crash I've encountered. I originally thought of automatic crash reports that can be sent from the app directly to you including details on the error and the device specs. I'm sure the app creates some sort of log files?

Thank you for the message. 

Yes I have error logging, but it's not always that I get it. But I did get the one from when you tried it, and it's from 1.4.1-1 (You can only see that it's 1.4.1, but the last is a 'hidden' internal version number). I actually released a updated version an hour after I released that version (1.4.1-2) that should fix that problem, but I guess Google hasn't sent it out yet. 

Thanks again for the help. 

Thank you for the message. 

Yes I have error logging, but it's not always that I get it. But I did get the one from when you tried it, and it's from 1.4.1-1 (You can only see that it's 1.4.1, but the last is a 'hidden' internal version number). I actually released a updated version an hour after I released that version (1.4.1-2) that should fix that problem, but I guess Google hasn't sent it out yet. 

Thanks again for the help. 

Ha, indeed that error seems to be fixed now! Thanks :)

Been really loving this app so far...really nice work!

Another suggestion, if nobody has covered it yet: is it possible to make it so you can select multiple entries when moving from one folder to another? Example - I just moved several recent purchases from "uncategorized" to their various folders (12", 7", 2x12", etc.) and had to move them one by one, whereas through the website, I have a checkbox system that allows me to move multiple entries at once. I don't know if this would be an easy coding fix, or if it would be more trouble than is worth, but I thought I might bring it to your attention.

Been really loving this app so far...really nice work!

Another suggestion, if nobody has covered it yet: is it possible to make it so you can select multiple entries when moving from one folder to another? Example - I just moved several recent purchases from "uncategorized" to their various folders (12", 7", 2x12", etc.) and had to move them one by one, whereas through the website, I have a checkbox system that allows me to move multiple entries at once. I don't know if this would be an easy coding fix, or if it would be more trouble than is worth, but I thought I might bring it to your attention.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. 

I'll look into it, but I have a feeling it would get too complicated since the Discogs api doesn't allow for something like that. But I will look into it since it's a good idea and would be nice to have. Thanks for the suggestion. 

My Android app Discographer for Discogs has received a new update (1.4.2)

Changes: 

• Better handling of Date Added for collection & wantlist.
  • Now also display the added date in collection & wantlist.
  • Indicate if in collection/wantlist on master search results.
  • Improved displaying of whatever value is being sorted.
  • Added deep links to Spotify for albums & masters.
  • Improved the handling of user reviews.
  • Can open the user profile of the review author.
  • Sorting by artist, label and format retains title sorting.
  • Ability to open links from inbox messages.
  • Small changes to your collection value range.
  • Improved sorting of your purchases.
  • More bug fixes and small adjustments.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or problems with it and I'll do my best to help.