Reinventing the pressing plant?

Mars

Very interesting :) If there are less delays and the price can go down AND the quality is better, then this is just good news.

I doubt you'll see prices go down.....most of that is major-label greed....also, a lot of the hold up isn't necessarily the presses themselves as much as the cutting of the masters and plating process

I doubt you'll see prices go down.....most of that is major-label greed....also, a lot of the hold up isn't necessarily the presses themselves as much as the cutting of the masters and plating process

I fully don't expect major label prices to go down at all...then again, I also never expected to see gas drop under $2 a gallon either.

There is certainly a bit of a bottleneck in the process when it comes to plating, but I assure you that the problem is still at the plant in terms of production.

For instance, you can get tests for a release in a few weeks, but then it still takes 6+ months to get the finished product. It is the same plates that they had to use for the tests, so the delay happens at the plant.

Also, lack of communication/customer service, etc. The plant has you by the balls, so they don't care to make you happy.

It's crazy how often I read about records being delayed from manufacturing gridlock, especially major label pressings of mass quantities. My band released a couple of records with Bridge 9 in 2013 and 2015 and we got our records on time. And we're about as small a band as one can be, and B9 aren't so big themselves. I would think majors that are spending a ton of money pressing huge numbers would be able to get their records on time more easily than us.

But anyways, saw this article the other day. Could be cool. I'd just be worried about starting a business of this nature during what most people consider a bubble. I'd think your average record store owner losing a store wouldn't wipe them out financially as much as it would wipe out these guys, if the bubble does indeed burst in the foreseeable future. But, they're obviously smart guys, so I'm assuming they've done their homework.