RIP Dave Mirra

I was huge into watching X-Games for a few years in high school & he & Tony Hawk were the men. I loved Dave Mirra's BMX game (the bike version of the Tony Hawk games).

Really shitty to hear he was dealing with that stuff & was unable to overcome. Just more proof we need more help with mental health issues in this country.

I'm deeply heartbroken at this. It's tough to hear when anyone who struggles with depression and emotional troubles opts to take their own life. I'm just at a loss for words right now.

Agreed, especially when you factor in that he left behind a wife and two kids. I can't imagine the pain and sadness they're experiencing right now. It's unimaginable...  

So sad, think I said 'what the fuck' out loud.  And to hear that he was just hanging out with friends before he shot himself.  To think how ill he must have been to be surrounded by people that I would think cared for him quite a bit, and yet he felt so alone to the point of committing suicide. He had CTE for sure, among other things, I would imagine.

He was such a talent as both an athlete and personality. His transition to triathlon shows so much about his level of physicality. The hardest thing in the world to ask for is help. And the hardest thing for those who don't suffer from depression is to understand when someone is asking for that help. In these moments I like to remind people to keep their ears and hearts open to those around them. Because I can tell you from experience that asking for help is so damn hard the first time, it's pretty much impossible to do a second. My thoughts are with him and his family and all those suffering from mental disorders. 

I'd like to also just toss out something I learned a while back. Those in psychology, who deal with suicide in particular, say the person "Died by Suicide" instead of "Committing Suicide". It's a subtle but important acknowledgment to the underlying mental disorder that leads to the action - it is as much a cause of death as it is an act. I've mulled through this a ton. When my friend died by suicide in August I kept saying "committed" in anger but my goodness - the pain you must be in to do this when being a parent. I lean back often upon the love of my son and that bond in my worst moments and I can see the pure beauty - to be so sick, in so much pain to not feel that has to be excruciating. 

People who think it is as easy as asking for help from those who care about you are out of their fucking minds. The pain is sweet and nothing matters except your self hatred. Always tears my heart out when people's demons overcome them. RIP brotha.